Author Topic: What to Do With Excess Liner - WithOUT Cutting It?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to Do With Excess Liner - WithOUT Cutting It?
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:29:14 AM »

I have enough liner to do a pond 15' long.  But I don't want the pond to take up the entire yard, so I'll be lining only 12'-13' of pond.  I don't want to cut the excess liner, though, because... ya know... we ponders DO always eventually want to expand.  Besides, I paid LOTS of money for that liner!

What have others of you done with excess length of liner?  Just fold it under itself on the outside edge of the pond?  Would it be a good idea to fold it inside the pond, for a double thickness on the far end?  Would that be too bulky, esp. considering the corner folds and all?

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to Do With Excess Liner - WithOUT Cutting It?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:29:14 AM »
Just go deeper. An extra foot will use up 2 ft of liner on the sides.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:58 AM »
I like models idea  @O@ 

How are you finishing around the edge of the pond?  Most will cover it with gravel or rock.  You could fold some of it under, but I think that would be a pain with the folds and such.

Get it over with..make it bigger now lol
Mary

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
lol I agreee. make it bigger now :).

I had a good piece left on mine, so I pulled it all down to one end/side then brought the liner up and over the top  and down into another trench, like 14" wide or so by 7" deep or so, varing and then I use that to plant a side bog and one big enuff piece to dig out for a lotus.....on the small berm between the real pond side and the bog side I just put a few rocks.. I didnt leave much berm between the two.  worked out really well.  Probably wont help you as you dont want the size.. just thought of that so never mind :)

Tinkster
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:12:20 PM by tinkster »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
I'm with Tink and Model, go a bit deeper and a bit wider you wont regret it! Live on the edge! lol pluss your fish will love you more! o(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »

I really DON'T want the pond longer... there's hardly any yard as it is, and this would take up just about any room there is for walking.  (I do have liner enough to go a bit wider, but it's not possible to go wider because the yard is so narrow.)

But... now you guys have planted the idea... maybe I can do a seperated / segregated pond and, instead of constructing that lily corral out of PVC pipe and mesh, maybe I'll just make a section the koi can't get into, and keep the lilies and fantails in there.  In fact, I just did the math, and that would use up six feet of liner for the division wall, but still allow for the 3' expansion I was planning. 

Hmmm.... Sounding better and better. 

Except now I'm gonna have to figure out how to filter and aerate that side. 

I'm glad I think about these projects for a long time before doing them, and also ask questions... you sure get interesting ideas and options from picking the brains of other folk!

Thanks.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
I’ve only had water under my liner, displacing the water and fish in the pond twice because of heavy or long enduring rains.  Since then, even as expensive as 40 mil EPDM liner is, I always make sure I have enough to bury 12 to 18 inches deep, in a narrow trench around the edge of my coping stones to offer an apron or water barrier.  Now I can empty my pond if I desire (which I have many  times  to harvest the pond pudding with my trusty shopvac) without accumulating more than a quarter inch of ground water seepage underneath the liner in a 4 foot hole.  Even that quickly displaced as soon as the pond is refilled.  Yep, once in ‘93 and again in ‘94 but not since then, even with record setting rains.  Food for thought. Oh yes, puting it underground will help protect it from u-v breakdown.  ;)

Paul  :)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
Or build up....I soo would love a pond with raised edges---so I could set on it and hand feed....not to mention-you won't have to worry about any run off from the surrounding area....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
What would you raise the sides with, Tranquil?  I've seen it done with landscape timbers, but those aren't wide enough to sit on.  Concrete blocks, then?  Would one thickness be enough, or would you need two rows, to be wide enough for a bench?  And you'd need some cap on the top, so you'd have toe space at the bottom.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »
Hi Julles.

If you are saying that you cannot imagine any way of attaching a 2 X 12 board  atop a landscape timber wall in a sturdy fashion, have a look at this.  I have several visitors at a time sit on these with room to spare.  I’ve stacked as much as 400 pounds of concrete blocks and lily pots on a single 8 foot length.  No wiggling, bending, or creaking.   

Paul  :)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
Nice Koi Boi, please show us more!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
wow paul!!! and you are coming here to build me one of those on what day???? want to make sure I have everything you will need ready :)

tink

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »
WOW Paul that is a gorgeous pond   8-)~ o(:-) o(:-)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
Like everyone said, WOW love your ponds Paul.  Can't wait to see more beautiful blooms this spring.

Is the top 2x12 attached by anything or just supported by (sitting on) the brace and timber?

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
Hi folks,

I hope these attachments will help clear up any questions about how to cap a landscape timber pond frame with a 2 X 12 board in a sturdy fashion.   I forgot to print
'Top View' on the diagram.  Good luck!

Paul   :)

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
It's official...I want Paul's pond!!! ;D

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"