Author Topic: Mother Nature was having a temper tantrum  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Mother Nature was having a temper tantrum
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
Over the weekend we had really nasty weather. We were in the 70's and then a cold front crashed into us dropping us into the 30's. I say crashed because as it came through, it caused sustained winds of 60+ mph for almost a full day. It was what moved on to Louisiana, Georgia etc that caused the tornadoes. We fortunately did not have any twisters form but that didn't mean we were in the clear. My greenhouse was redone in November with 6 Mil liner... pretty thick stuff. All PVC connections were glued with PVC cement for long lasting sturdiness....(Not).

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Mother Nature was having a temper tantrum
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
Remember the pictures I posted last year of an Evergreen Wisteria that grew through an arbor. Well look at what those winds did to it as well. The side that it is leaning away from even has wood buried 18" down as an anchor of sorts. It takes everything I can muster to stand it back straight but it won't stay. I am afraid I might have to cut the arbor out of the wisteria.

Tim

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »
Any ideas out there on standing it back up????

I know I could put a landscape timber at a 45 degree to prop it up but that would not be a long term fix.

Tim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »
I was going to say use wires like the ones for pitching a tent but that isn't permanent.  How's about pouring a cement footing?  That's all I've got.

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »
Tim, sorry about your greenhouse and hope you get that beautiful Wisteria back up. I've heard that they are a very tough (strong) vine. I think that long-term you will need a new arbor with a cement footing like myguynmkoi mentioned. Good luck!
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »
Wow, crashed is a good word for that for sure. Mother nature is no-one to fool around with, but then again she was the one fooling around, right?
It's always a good lesson in life to understand the power she (notice I said she ;) {:-P;;) has.

As far as  the arbor, I'd use come alongs and pull it up straight. Maybe you could pound some steel stakes in the ground next to the poles and tie them together. Maybe soak the ground next to the poles and after you get it upright, pound the earth back in place on the leaward side of the poles.
Good luck!
I sure wouldn't take it down. That's a beauty. O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Hopefully when I have some time I can try and implement a fix.

Tim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:18:18 AM »
Sorry Tim about all your hard word getting ripped up and knocked down. I had a wood arbor that had a 20 year old honeysucke totaly in grossed in it and a wind storm took it down. I had a guy make me a new one with rebar and we ceminted it in to the ground deep. I was a job tho getting the vines on it. Honey suckel becomes very brittle with age. Needless tosay it got a a hard hair cut.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"