Author Topic: Anyone know this plant?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anyone know this plant?
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
Hi, I guess I am about to try posting my first pic. and am not sure it's going to work.
But will give it a try.

Anyhow, I bought this plant in one of those 'supermarket greenhouses' last spring. It was so pretty and thrived so well over the summer and I was so pleased with it that I decided to try to pot some of it up and see how it would do in the house over the winter. I am happy to say it did very well, not even showing any transplant stress.

I have no idea what it is. I think it might be some kind of iceplant, it has fleshy succulent light green and white variegated foliage. The small 3/4" daisy like flowers have many bright red petals with yellow centers that resemble iceplant blossoms.

I intend to try starting cuttings from it for my summer outdoor potted plants. Hopefully it will work. But in the mean time I would like to be able to know what to call it. I can't find the the silly thing in any of the several gardening cataloges that have come my way. And I have not been able to locate it on the internet either.

So, if anyone out there knows the name of my wonder plant I'd sure like to know what it is.

Thanks, Patsy 

Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know this plant?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »
I,m not sore , bu it looks like a type of pepromia........

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
In that it has green stems, I would guess P. scandens variegata.  I think the red stemmed varieties that look similar are Peperomia obtusifolia 'USA' and Peperomia clusiifolia 'Jellie', but then there may be others, but yes, I would agree with it being a Peperomia.

Paul  :)

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42:29 AM »
Thanks guys. I realize the foliage does resemble many peperomia plants but the flowers are all wrong for being a peperomia. While Peperomias have racemes of tiny white flowers. The flowers on this plant are red, many petaled and daisy like.They look like iceplant flowers.

Also, the foliage on this plant resembles a mesembryanthemum cristallinum, without the sparkelies.

I found this pic taken last summer when it was in bloom, hope this helps.

Thanks Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
 While cleaning out some old plant stuff yesterday, I came across a plant tag that said
"Dorotheanthus, trailing red". Wondering if that might be the name of my mystery plant I decided to Google that name. And low and behold the plant I found on Google looks just like the plant living in my house! ;D

So, I guess it is no longer a mystery plant.
Just thought I would let you all know.

Thanks Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »
Common name is "Hearts and Flowers" used to sell tons of them in Phoenix.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:06 PM »
Thanks LeeAnne! It's always nice to be able to tack a common name on a plant, just in case someone asks.

Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
I barely remember common names, so latin names are of no use to me  :D  ;D

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »
I never knew the Latin name.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »
Oh boy, now I'm more confused than ever! First I find the name of the plant that I have, which is Dorotheanthus 'Mazoo' trailing red. Then LeAnne tells me that it is a plant with the common name of 'Hearts and Flowers', which sounds good to me. o(:-)

Anyhow, while scrolling a plant list on the net I find a plant called 'Hearts and Flowers' so I stop to investigate, and find out it's scientific name is 'Apentia cordifolia variegata.'

So then I try finding pix of both plants and can only come up a poor quality pic of the apentia, but it does look very similar to Dorotheanthus.

Can anybody get this straightened out for me? Joyce,- somebody? Do I have a Mazoo, or a Heart and Flower?  :D

Thanks, a bewildered Patsy.

PS I took some cuttings and they are beginning to root so I'm going to have this lovely creature growing all over my yard this season! @O@
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
Hi Patsy! Howya feeling? :)

Apentia? I think that is spelled wrong, maybe why you are getting bad image results.
You have Aptenia cordifolia variegata.
Pronounced App TEEN neeya cordi FOE leeya vari GAH tah.
(You definitely do NOT have any type of Dorotheanthus.)

If you scoll halfway down on this page you'll see info on Aptenia cordifolia variegata.
http://www.trionursery.com/?p_id=8&

Unfortunately it will not be hardy unless you live in a tropical area. :(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »
 I was responding to your photo, when I posted Hearts and Flowers not your post listing the name you found on the tag. 

Latin names are much more important than common names. I just felt like I had seen an old friend. We used to sell pots and pots of them as a gift plant both at the nursery and flower shops I worked at in Phoenix in the 1980's.

Aptenia cordifolia variegata is the correct name of variegated Hearts and Flowers as Joyce as posted. There is a solid green variety too which is what I was used to, I had never seen the variegated but when you posted the photo with the flowers I knew it immediately.

Dorotheanthus are also known as Livingstone Daisies and are a very different plant but I hadn't bothered to look them up until just now. Should have, sorry.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »
Thanks ladies, I guess you must both be right.
 I am so pleased with this plant. As it says in the article from Joyce the plant thrives well both in sun or shade inside in the winter and outside in the summer. Mine even has given me a few flowers this winter in the house. And it looks so healthy and happy! It's upkeep is very easy. What a marvelous plant. It's just hard to believe that I never heard or seen it before until this past year.
 Okay LeAnne, 'Hearts and Flowers" it is.

Thanks again Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
I have never seen one here in Oregon.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »
WOW! No wonder no one know about this plant! I just found this interesting bit of info!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dorotheanthus bellidiformis Mezoo

This is a delightful unusual variety that is being introduced to the U.S. in 2007. Available for some time in Europe, this is noted for its gorgeous variegated foliage. This would be reason enough to grow this stunning plant even if it didn’t have lovely blooms. This variety forms a neat mound, and is perfect for hanging baskets. It has dark red blossoms.

Unlike some other Back Bay daisies, Mezoo is grown from cuttings rather than seeds. For that reason, you’ll need to purchase plants at local garden centers or online.
                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~
Patsy     @O@
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »
Interesting that it looks identical to Aptenia which has been around for many years. Since you have the tag, that must be what it is. However if you google other Dorotheanthus you'll see they look very different.

One would think that a brand new to the US cultivar would not show up at a supermarket floral department....however, having worked at a supermarket floral department for half of my career as a florist I know that isn't true. I had plenty of new plants on a routine basis.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:52 PM »
I agree with LeeAnne.
(and I am glad she said something cuz I was hesitant to say anymore for fear of being 'contrary to popular belief' again)
I think someone got a little confused when labelling that plant.  ?)(?

It's an Aptenia.  :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"