Author Topic: wanted darkest true blue tropical lily  (Read 1483 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
wanted darkest true blue tropical lily
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
I would love to get a dark true blue tropical lily, day blooming.  I have Pamela but the flower fades really fast in the AZ sun.  I don't know if I have much exciting to trade but am happy to pay for this lily.  Anyone have one for me? 

Casey in Tucson

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: wanted darkest true blue tropical lily
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:08:46 AM »
Hi Casey
I don't have one but just wanted to say hello. I grew up in Phoenix and miss the sun desperately though I know Tucson has better scenery and a better climate. Please wave to Pichaco Peak for me next time you drive by. We used to camp there a lot when I was a kid. I'm past due to visit the Desert Museum too. There used to be a very active member of the forum in Glendale who grew tropical lilies and other plants and sold on her website but she faded off into cyberspace. I know tropicals do very well in the desert heat if you can find some that resist fading. Her pond was in full sun. I did visit her one time. There is a gal in Mesa that is a member though I haven't seen her around much lately. Do you know about the Arizona Gardening forum at Garden Web?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
Hi LeeAnne,

Hi to you also.  Wow!  Someone who lived in Phx and sings the praises of Tucson?  Better not let the word out or you will get stoned by Phoenicians.  The old rivalry will spring to life.  Regrettably we down here are becoming more big city all the time and pretty soon it will actually be Phoenson.  Don't know how long it's been since you did the Desert Museum but it is getting better by the minute.  It is still rated as one of the 10 best zoos in the world.  Don't know about the gardening forum.  Maybe I will look it up though I tend to like to stray a bit left or right of the middle in how I play in my yard.  If you ever come this way again, holler and maybe we can meet.

Casey

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
The darkest true blue waterlily I am aware of is N. Laura Frase
You might be able to find a supplier online.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:09:14 PM »
It has been at least ten years since I've been to Tucson. Probably longer. I was last in Phoenix in Oct 06 but didn't make the trip south. It was my 25 year high school reunion. Too much partying going on.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »
Heeeyy.  Tucson is alright.  I did go to ASU, so you know how that goes.  I'm here in Buckeye now.  It's hard to find anything around here.  I have met people on this site that are very helpful and willing to trade.  There is an AZ garden section at Garden Web.  Good luck. 
Alfonso

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Thank you, Sean.  I found N Laura Frase very quickly and cheaply at Utopia Aquatic.  Hope it's a good place to buy because I ordered a few to get a free one.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:57 PM »
Lorenzo at Utopia Aquatic is a great seller as well as a member here at American Ponders. He is also a Participating Member of the "Truly Named" Water Gardeners International © program.  I know where he got his N. 'Laura Frase' from so you can assure you WILL get the real McCoy.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:10:03 AM »
Thanks.  I'm getting 4 new tropicals so it will be fun when I get the pkg and get them going.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
landey1230

When I lived in Phoenix,  Buckeye had cotton fields, the jail and some horse farms and nothing else. You had to drive through it to get to San Diego because the freeway wasn't finished for years. You had to get off the freeway and drive along Buckeye Rd until it started up again and ran to CA.

There are many people on this forum willing to share plants, I rarely have to pay retail for anything even though I live close to a major pond plant grower. Pond plants tend to grow like weeds.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »
LeeAnne

You should see Buckeye now.  Goodyear, Avondale, and Glendale have really taken off.  I've met some really nice people on this forum.  I haven't traded anything, yet.  I don't have much to trade at this point.  I have bought some lotus from some helpful folks.   
Alfonso

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
Several years ago I drove from Palm Springs to Phoenix and on the ride in through those towns I was amazed. I had not been anywhere near them in almost twenty years.

I knew Glendale had spread because I have friends and family that still live there and I'd been to the Arrowhead area of Peoria. I remember being confused when a friends parents retired to Peoria from the Metrocenter area. I thought, why in the world then when I saw their house and Arrowhead Mall, I understood that Peoria wasn't the old run down dump of rental homes it used to be. Metrocenter is now somewhat scary but when it was built it was state of the art and I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent there. Christown too.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"