Author Topic: Spring is here!  (Read 4073 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Spring is here!
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »
First off the orchids having been blooming nicely for me this winter. They really liked hanging over the edge of the indoor tubs under the lights in the humidity from the water just below. Several Phals are spiking nicely and a couple Cymbidiums are now in full bloom.

This one is 4 years old and really beautiful. Ginger knocked a couple large flower spikes off before they had a chance to open :(. Here's close up of the flowers.

This is the second bloom on the Zygopetalum so far. This one has a wonderful scent that fills the room but isn't over powering, just pleasant.

A couple blooms in the garden as well. It's nice to see the days getting longer. We have also enjoyed a nice warm sunny week. It's suppose to rain next week with maybe a bit more snow. How crazy is that?

This is a bee on Aconite (Eranthis hyemalis) and some Crocuses.

I hope Spring arrives soon for every one here!

Maryvonne

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spring is here!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:45:49 AM »
Hi Maryvonne, your orchids are beautiful! And I love the bee shot. Ya know it just hit me how close we are to each other. Do you ever get over to the east side? I live about 30 min from Ossoyoues (sp) on the wash. side. It would be fun to get together.
I hear ya about mowing the lawn. My DH had bought a new mower just before he passed but I still hate it. I used to enjoy it but that changes with age I guess, now it's just more work >:(-
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:58:03 AM »
My pussy willows are pushing out catkins!  @O@
Mary

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
Maryvonne your cymbidiums are beautiful!  I've never seen the flower spikes hang down so nicely.  I like the purple crocus petals.  Yep spring has definitely arrived in your area.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
They sure look happy.  Those blooms are very pretty.  Wish spring would start showing up here a little.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
Hi Maryvonne:

Pretty photos, when I saw your setup before leaving I was thinking this is a nice setup...you should get a few Vandas, I think you will fall in love with their elegant roots and flat flowers.  You will have to have a stern talk with Ginger! 

My phals are just starting to bloom and I feel cloaked in Jewel Orchids that just don't stop, I keep cutting them back and starting new pots and you just can't kill these orchids.   My daughter counted 89 spikes in full bloom over Valentines day, it looks like snow in our living room!!!

Gary

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »
Beautiful pictures.  Lucky you, blooms and bees.  I can't wait for spring.

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
It's not spring here - 20 degrees - yikes . . . :blowup:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:23 PM »
Beautiful!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:33:03 AM »
Not spring here yet either... going to snow again today.   However your pictures are beautiful.  My orchids are putting up branches and shoots, but no blooms yet.  Yesterday I admit I needed something flowering so I went out to find a new orchid....nothing jumped out at me so I went home empty handed, but happier just seeing the blooms.  I will hopefully have a new one or blooms soon.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
I've got crocus and early daffs all over the yard. Phaels have been blooming on the kitchen window sill. They are sure easy. I don't do squat to them.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
 @O@ Today when I got home from work about 2:30ish it was drop dead georgious. so I grabed a beer and poped it and went and sat my big fat ARss at the pond!  @O@ @O@ All 9 of my Koi kids came out from hidding. I was so excitted  I didn't know what to do. The glare of the sun wouldn't allow a pix so tomorrow I'm off and hopeing the weather holds so I can get a pix??? Also I saw that my marsh merrie Gold is really comming along. I saw one tho that had made it up put of the water and got frost bitten :'( But that's ok I know it's close!!!!! @O@
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
Absolutely a beautiful site Maryvonne! only sign of spring here is the fact the snow has melted finally and the dog poop is showing :( Will clean that up as soon as my sinus infection resolves.  Looking forward to see what spring flowers the previous owner planted... if any :) Spring is later up here this year.

Debbie, I think I'm actually closer to you as I'm about 2 hours north of the border at oroville.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »
Absolutely a beautiful site Maryvonne! only sign of spring here is the fact the snow has melted finally and the dog poop is showing :( Will clean that up as soon as my sinus infection resolves.  Looking forward to see what spring flowers the previous owner planted... if any :) Spring is later up here this year.

Debbie, I think I'm actually closer to you as I'm about 2 hours north of the border at oroville.
@O@ lets get together. I'm only a half hour from that border. Oh darn I don't have my pass port yet? I have the apps filled out but havent made the appointment yet
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:19:11 PM by happyoutsidegirl »
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »
we have passports :) and no pond yet (so unless you want to get a passport and a shovel ;)) we can come down there. Of course we will have to wait until our trailer is able to be pulled out of the depths of snow it is burried under :) Maybe we should start a 'reunion' going :) I currently have April 5th 'off' and then not until the last weekend in May...lol.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
We can pm our secheduals. I only work 32 hrs a week so I get two 3 day week ends off a month and 3 days during the week it's a wierd sechedual but I like it. We can sit and have toddies at my pond and then when I do get the pasport I can come up with my shovel.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
I haven't set for sure dates yet but I will be having an estate sale and Auction probably memorial and following week ends. Lots of tools and guy things so your dear hubby wont get board.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Sounds good... maybe beginning of June then? And dont' worry about my dh... he's not big into 'man' projects or tools... that's me....lol. As long as he is near stock car racing he's happy :) In fact, he's actually in Las Vegas right now at the NASCAR weekend with one of his best buds. I was supposed to be a scrapbooking retreat but I came down with a sinus infection that has really knocked me down. So the kids are at my mom's, dh is in Vegas watching cars go around in circles (can you tell why I didn't go?) and |I'm home alone with my new laptop..lol... and control of the tv remote.

anyway... we are always looking for new areas to go camping :)

and hey, I think you can still drive across the border without a passport.

Sorry for taking over your thread Maryvonne....

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »
They are soooooo beautiful! Striped crocus are my favorite spring bulb, followed closely by tulips. Wow!  8-)~
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
Hi Maryvonne, your orchids are beautiful! And I love the bee shot. Ya know it just hit me how close we are to each other. Do you ever get over to the east side? I live about 30 min from Ossoyoues (sp) on the wash. side. It would be fun to get together.
I hear ya about mowing the lawn. My DH had bought a new mower just before he passed but I still hate it. I used to enjoy it but that changes with age I guess, now it's just more work >:(-

Hi Debbie,
We do live close to you about 4hrs or so. We use to spend 2 weeks every summer in Ossoyoos as kids. We would camp in the middle of the lake at the Haynes Point campsite. From there we would make a day trip to Oroville. It was lots of fun.
We don't get out much these days but you are welcome to drop in to see us any time you are north of the border.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
My pussy willows are pushing out catkins!  @O@

They are up here too. Spring is such a wonderful time of year!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
Maryvonne your cymbidiums are beautiful!  I've never seen the flower spikes hang down so nicely.  I like the purple crocus petals.  Yep spring has definitely arrived in your area.

Thanks Annette.
Last year I staked all the flowers up but there were only a few. This year I let them do their own thing and I think it looks pretty nice.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
They sure look happy.  Those blooms are very pretty.  Wish spring would start showing up here a little.

Kim

Thanks Kim,
I hope springs come to your area soon too. It's so nice to see things start to grow again.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »
Hi Maryvonne:

Pretty photos, when I saw your setup before leaving I was thinking this is a nice setup...you should get a few Vandas, I think you will fall in love with their elegant roots and flat flowers.  You will have to have a stern talk with Ginger! 

My phals are just starting to bloom and I feel cloaked in Jewel Orchids that just don't stop, I keep cutting them back and starting new pots and you just can't kill these orchids.   My daughter counted 89 spikes in full bloom over Valentines day, it looks like snow in our living room!!!

Gary

Thanks Gary,
I really like our set up. By hanging the orchids over the tubs I am able to maximize the light from the lamps and the orchids love the warmth and humidity. It's also very easy to water them without making a mess. The water just runs right through the pots and back into the tubs.
I will have to try some Vandas. What are jewel orchids? Sounds like you have a nice collection and I would love to see some photos. 89 spikes is incredible!
The person I really need to have a talk too is Pete. He was tossing her toy for her to catch and the toy bounced off her nose and right into the plant knocking one spike off and they she knocked the other one off getting the toy. So now they toss the toy outside!

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 09:16:06 PM »
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
Not spring here yet either... going to snow again today.   However your pictures are beautiful.  My orchids are putting up branches and shoots, but no blooms yet.  Yesterday I admit I needed something flowering so I went out to find a new orchid....nothing jumped out at me so I went home empty handed, but happier just seeing the blooms.  I will hopefully have a new one or blooms soon.

Thanks Marla,
I hope your orchids bloom for you. It's so nice to have them in the winter.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
I've got crocus and early daffs all over the yard. Phaels have been blooming on the kitchen window sill. They are sure easy. I don't do squat to them.

Unfortunately I killed a few Phal over watering them, but now I find them easy too.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »

Thanks Krista
We spent a winter in Kitimat many years ago. I remember the snow melting and the lawn being covered in dog poop. Pretty disgusting!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »
They are soooooo beautiful! Striped crocus are my favorite spring bulb, followed closely by tulips. Wow!  8-)~

Thanks Jessica,
I really love the orchids now that I know how to care for them. They brighten up the winter months and it's so nice to see the crocuses in the spring.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
Speaking of orchids, I went to the pacific Orchid Expo today. WOW!!  It was AMAZING!!  You can check out some pictures I took here : http://picasaweb.google.com/HollyDeVito777/OrchidExpo  I came home with a hanging Cym and a macrabe.  It was so hard not to spend a million dollars, but I figure I have a year learning how to take care of them, then next year I can get some really nice ones.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"