Author Topic: Koi Pond Talk Forum  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi Pond Talk Forum
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
FYI.......Terry (Bigfish) who owns the Koi Pond Talk site is wanting to find new leadership for the site and turn it over to someone who has more time to run it. If anyone is interested in the site
go to the forum and contact the Administrator for more info.

www.koipondtalk.com
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:29:28 AM by Desertponder »
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi Pond Talk Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
I'm glad to hear that it's still going to be up and running. It's a nice friendly site like this one is :)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
Oh I hate this. I am a member and Plant Advisor there

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:25:14 PM »
We wish them well. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »
Its o.k. Vickie, the site will still be there. Terry just needs to find someone else to take the reins and run it and build it up. :)
Shanna

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »
As a member there it was a sad moment, but glad it was just a moment......hoping things get settled and someone or multiple people are found to help out.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »
Shanna, Vickie and Marla... I nominate you three! :)

Haven't been posting there much lately due to the time of year but I'm glad to hear that he's not closing the doors.

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »
I have too many irons in the fire to take it over. ;) I just wouldn't have the time that it needs.
Shanna

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 06:01:36 PM »
I have a paraplegic daughter and many things we have to do for her business affairs, dr appointments ect. Plus I have 10 water gardens to take care of. Plus I work part time. I cannot run a forum. But I want it up and running, if we can keep it going.

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
Oh maybe we should nominate the nominator {:-P;;   As everyone else I also am busy and have been finding less time to even post.  Besides work I care for my aging MIL every day after work, and then try to help out my parents also, Mom's going through chemo again and is pretty well fatigued, Dad has Parkisons pretty bad, but tries to help her out best he can.  And boy does my housework suffer.  I would help with little things, but hope he finds someone with time and energy.... I would like it to be up and running for sometime also.
Her secret is patience.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
I wish that everyone who is scattered to so many different pond forums would all decide on one or two so that the internet ponding community wasn't so spread out.

Used to be only a couple of forums and now there are what? a dozen or more? I miss people but don't have time to check in to so many different forums.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
I have wondered about that to leeanne.  Seems everybody is part of 3 and 4 different forums.. I can just barely keep up with this one.  Wonder if they couldnd all be combined and then everyone would have more time to devote to make one or two sites really good. Guess everyone though has one place they feel more at home than others maybe??

tinkster

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
It seems to me that new forums pop up whenever a small handful of trouble makers get banned from other sites or chase away good members who have rocks at the bottom of their ponds {:-P;; (I may just start a support group board for people who have rocks at the bottom of their ponds)
It's really unfortunate that this very same handful of people feel the need to spew their hatred and nastiness and chase people away who would have become great contributors. This is why Jerry and I strive to keep things civil here at American Ponders.

I see no reason for multiple forums that discuss the same topics. American Ponders has become one of the most active pond web forums in it's short existence and we will continue to grow by leaps and bounds I am sure.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »
Sean said it well. Of course, it's a free country, and there can be a zilion forums.  We are NOT suggesting they should not exist, but how many can you keep up with?
What to do?  I think it will be natural selection.  The survival of the fittest.
Funny, I am in 2 'businesses" we, i, must compete with people that will work free, just as we do.
There is something wrong with this picture.

We feel that Koiphen and us offer a different feel and perspective.
There is no way to keep our behavior above board, sooner or later someone upsets another member.
At times it's meaningless, but taken badly.  We have lost members over this.  Some go elsewhere and guess what? Repeat the same scenario.  Our mission statement is accurate.
We do the best we can! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
well why we are on the bickering side of it.. I am getting a little tired of poeple taking away my championships on the games :)))  I believe it is time for there to be a game that just "me" can win and remain champion of :) hehehe

tinkster

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »
Tink, If I could create a game just for you I would O0

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
You know, Sean, you're absolutely right....it's pointless to get so worked up over it all.  I had been to a couple different forums prior to building my pond, and usually someone there had told me to build my pond the way they had theirs (bottom drain, rocks, no plants, plants, no bottom drain, UV, no rocks, just gold fish, just plants, no UV, 500 gph pump, concrete, get an aquarium, blow it out my butt, etc.) and after a while I get tired of it all and split.  One person on one site was very nice to me...until I had a different opinion.  Then she invited me to leave and never come back.  The difference of opinion was that I didn't feel I needed to spend $2600 on a pond when I found quality components for less than $1200 shipped.  She kept telling me I had crap, that my stuff was "stolen ideas".  I got told I'd have a dirty mucky pond for it's lifespan because I didn't follow their advice.

The results of not doing things their collective way is this, after more than two years:

This was a couple days ago, and I haven't done much to the pond in about a month (not even cleaning a filter).

This is not to say that my way is the right/best/proper way, just that what works for one isn't necessarily what works for all.  I have a parrot, as many know, and he's been very healthy and happy, but some parrot forums had banned me because they felt that I was not raising/treating him properly and that I was a bad example.   

I'm better off without forums like that, because you just can't argue with success...clear water doesn't lie. 

Bottom line...do what works for you, if it doesn't, see what needs changing.  But why people get their panties in a knot over someone else having rocks or not having a bottom drain is just a bit too AR to me!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
I used to love the rocks in my pond. I just like the new look a bit better,

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 11:08:06 PM »
I love it, SPECTACULAR!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 04:34:26 AM »
Wow.  How deep is your pond?
Alfonso

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:49:19 AM »
Blind 'Too, and justme, your ponds look stunning  with or without rocks. Water is clear, fish look happy and landscaping is outstanding.  I have two with one without and may someday have 3 without or with, still deciding.  Back to the subject Tink is right about forums, you have to find one you are really really comfortable on, this one you may call home and others you visit.  I really like this forum and am becoming more comfortable with the members here, but I'm not feeling that home feeling yet, but in time hope to :) (then I think I got off on the wrong foot here, like at work my reveiw last year said I was unapprochable, and intimidating this year I told them I would work at being confrontational also....What do you think is it happening?).
Her secret is patience.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 08:04:32 AM »
I've had rocks  o(:-) for ten years and won't be removing them any time soon  ;D My water is crystal clear. You can see all the gunk from the neighbor's trees clearly.  :o   Just ask Mikey. (I will be removing it when it warms up a bit)  I do hate it when I see new people posting and they are jumped on for having rocks, told their fish will die etc. It simply isn't true and it is mean to tell someone that just spent thousands on a pond that they did it wrong. I do wish most would not jump right into Koi but would have Goldies....far too many rocked ponds are shallow thanks to Aquascapes and should not have Koi.

I know that people squabble and some go start their own forums. Some I was glad to see go off, some I was not. Some move from forum to forum too. Some just disappear. I was not really saying that some should shut down their forums. I was just reminiscing to back almost ten years ago when I starting on pond forums that there were only a few. I know many of the people that posted then are still posting but scattered to the winds....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:21 AM »
 I know people who have rocks in their pond, and people with no rocks....to each his own.....I have seen some beautiful water gardens and some beautiful koi ponds.....I personally don't like rocks....but, thats me personally---I figure those who have rocks like them...the one thing I do pound home to my customers is filtration,filtration, filtration....and I try my best to convince them to keep stocking levels down.....I'm a water gardener at heart---but, feel my koi will benefit more in a koi pond...so I have both...I can enjoy a good water garden and I can enjoy a good koi pond....

as far as forums...I visit several different forums...each is different....but, the one thing that makes me stay are the people....some are more serious than others-most of the time I just read and try to learn on those....the others are more friend based....I have had the honor of interacting with some wonderful people via the internet and even though I have never met them in person-I consider them friends...those that I have met in person---It has NOT been a disappointment....I am lucky to have all of my internet friends in my life...and extremely lucky to live close enough to a few of those that we get to visit from time to time...and I think Sean and Jerry do an excellent job here at AP....They both get a two thumbs up from me.... O0 O0
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 09:06:50 AM »
thanks Marla.

What people are saying here is so true... it's just a lot nicer to have people offer suggestions rather than dictate how things should be done.  It's one thing to say, "this worked for me...." but something entirely different to get angry at someone because they didn't do it your way.

One guy insisted that if I didn't install a bottom drain I would have a mucky, ugly pond and never have clear water.  I told him the bottom of my pond is one very large rock and a bottom drain wasn't possible.  He basically told me I was too lazy to do it the right way and that I might as well just have a water garden and only post at gardenweb.  What a jerk.  A few months later after he built his new pond I saw a post about how his water wouldn't clear up and he had tried everything.  That made my day.... lol

If I ever do build another pond I might do the bottom drain, but until that time comes...I'm enjoying my clear pond!   @O@
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »
No bottom drain here either, who knew?  Yes, clear water, thank you Skippy we will look like this again in a few months. This an old photo.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:02:24 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
No bottom drain here either, who knew?  Yes, clear water, thank you Skippy.

yeah, I've seen the bottom of your pond up close and personal...not that you made me a pair of cement shoes or anything.  I'm just saying...   lol

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 06:17:19 AM »
I have ponds without bds...and one with....the one with is soo much easier to maintain...and alot cleaner--when building the new pond I'm diffidently going with bds....bds are something you don't realize your missing untill you actually have them....
Lawanna

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »
Great looking ponds!! Looks like the pup better be careful he doesn't get pulled in for a dip! LOL

Argueing on the internet is worse than pointless. {nono}
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »
In any group of people there will always be someone who is of the opinion it's either my way or the highway. Seeing I did my pond without having much knowledge and happened to have a lot of good luck with it, my opinion probably doesn't hold water. My pond does though. No rocks, no bottom drain and just a simple DIY setup works for me. Was it Bonnie that said, "Filtration, filtration, etc."? I agree. I clean my filters frequently if they need it and if the water seems to be going green, I slap some extra media in some mesh baskets and set them in the drops of the waterfall and it does the trick in a few days. Sure it takes work but it all depends on the look you are going for. I used to think I had to wait for a natural clearing but didn't like that either. I have fish because I like to see them. So broke that rule too. If you want a bottom drain and rocks, then go for it. That's what makes the world go around is differences of opinion. You have to do what you have to do. Me too. I will tell you what I think and then let you make your own mistakes just like I did. LOL. Since reading pond forums, I have decided that different things seem to work different on different ponds built by different people. Wasn't that a profound sentence?

As for having just a few forums, I really would rather have a small forum than huge ones. I have left the big ones because I can't keep up with them. I like to get to know people enough to remember them and their lives. I'm not here just to talk ponds only. But that's me. Oh and I avoid the forums that have opinionated people  >:(- or like to talk dirty.  :o LOL  That's why I'm happy here.   

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
Derrick that pup has been known to jump in and take a few laps....she cracks me up  lol lol...what she is probably doing is eating the koi food that reaches the side of the pond...she loves to do that too....
Lawanna

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"