Author Topic: Wanted: miniture hardies  (Read 2968 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Wanted: miniture hardies
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »
I'm still using containers and am swithing back to more hardies since living in a cooler climate and would love to add more miniture or smaller growing hardies to my collection. I can pay shipping or possibly trade depending on how my tropicals survived the Dallas winter. Also looking for some interesting ferns and groundcovers that can handle a harsh summer. The best way to set this up is by sending a PM or posting here.

Many thanks in advance!

Jessica
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: miniture hardies
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »
Hi Jessica:

How's the gator doing in Texas? 

I have quite a few minatures Helvola, Little Sue, Hermine, Perry's Baby Red, Charlie's Choice, Walter Pagels, Laydekeri Lilaca and a couple of others i can't remember off the top of my head.  I also have one medium sized hardie you need for your colllection due to the color Perry's Orange Sunset.  Drop me a line of what you want...perhaps we can trade some real Texas bar-B-Que.

Gary

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
Gary, I do have POS, and got my first blooms last summer...it IS stunning! Yes, I'm a bit like a gator out of water here in the lone star state, but I suppose I'm evolving to this big city life. I have grown quite fond of fresh Tamales, lol. I've always thought of Kansas City as the BBQ capitol, you should check out American Royal there in October...and I would be happy to look for some suitable Texas selections for you to try and look forward to trying any of those minis you mentioned. When do you expect to divide?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:15:39 PM »
Hey Jessica:

We have had a strange winter a week ago it was in the 60's and then we went back to freezing weather and the ponds have frozen over again.  Typically I hop in 3rd week in March and start pulling some of them out for dividing.  So  PM me and let me know what you want.

Gary

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
We have those kinds of fluctuations here daily. It blows me away to wake up to 70 degrees and have it drop to the 30s by the afternoon. As for the minis, I would be thrilled to try the one you think is best! And let me know what kind of BBq you're looking for, I obviously no longer have access to Sonny's! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »
Jessica:

That's like asking who is your favorite child!!  Don't worry, I'll send a few since I can't make up my mind!!  Send me a PM with your new address.  When I've been in Texas they had a chain of places called Bodacious almost as good as Sonny's.  You know I still have an ash tray I use for odds and ends that says "Stolen From Sonny's Fat Boys", University drive.  Ahh many a post game meal was had there. O0 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:00:18 AM »
Hey Gary, I've killed Little Sue twice. Would love to try again sometime if you have extra.

Jessica, Perry's Baby Red is my favorite, it just blooms and blooms for me.

I potted up half a dozen Helvolas last fall. It is too early to determine if they've lived but they should be alive.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »
Hey LeeAnne:

I have 2 or three pots so no problem on Little Sue, however, I want to make sure so I can send it in May...okay?  The leaves are similar to Aurora, Little sue and Helvola until they mature.  While I place them alphabetically in the pond for my containers, i just want to make sure.

Gary

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »
May would be great. Everything is still asleep here now.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
How small are minatures?   Hard to get a perspective from the pictures.

tinkster

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
Helvola is ultra tiny, blooms barely bigger than a quarter.
There is a white one who has had several names, the correct one, I don't remember that is also that small. Sadly, I killed those sent to me last year.

Joann Pring is almost as small but spreads farther and has blooms twice as big.

Perry's Baby Red has blooms as big as a baseball and crawls up out of the pond I have it in, I bet it would spread four feet so miniature is relative.....
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Gina-Small town Tn Girl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
I would like a small lily also for a barrell I have.. I haven't tried these, but they are very pretty. I will pay for shipping thats not a problem...  Thanks  Gina

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
Hi Tink:

Helvola, Walter Pagels, Leydekeri Lilaca and Little Sue have minature flowers (2-4" across), small leaves and a 2-3' spread.  Hermine, Perry's Baby Red have normal sized flowers 3-5" across with a 3.5-4" spread with larger leaves.  Charlie's Choice is in between these two groups.

Helvola is in this picture and this is what I had titled Helvola Gigantica very unusal ( Note Quarter on container).  Normal size flowers are in the background

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
thanks!!! that sure helps with the perspective.  I did not know they made lillies so small.  I just presumed all the water containers I was looking at were huge huge pots, thinkin the flower size was that or normal lilies and was getting a bit frustrated at not bein able to find nice pots as big as I thought  I needed.    Well this sure gives me some new pot ideas :) 

tinkster

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:31 AM »
Once things warm up, if you have any Walter Pagels & Leydekeri Lilaca left. I'd LOVE to have both. I have probably 30 different hardies, so I'm sure I'll have "something" you'd want in trade.  DH was out looking at the pond yesterday and said most all our lilies are jumping the pots.  He said it looked like Arc-en-ciel was trying to take over the pond with it's long runner.   :D  Spring is going to be BUSY!!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 09:11:23 AM »
Dang, I stuck Hermine and Charlie's Choice in the same pond with Perry's Baby Red thinking they were all just a bit bigger than Helvola. OOPS.   :o The pond is only 2' x 4'. It was clear right away that PBR isn't very baby but the other two haven't grown as much.

Looks like I need to move them to the bigger pond and put Walter Pagels, Little Sue and Leydekeri Lilaca in that pond.

I have Helvola, Joann Pring and Chrysantha in a similar size pond and they haven't outgrown it at all in three years. I put dirt on top of the liner and planted them right in.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »
I have Helvola, Joann Pring and Chrysantha in a similar size pond and they haven't outgrown it at all in three years. I put dirt on top of the liner and planted them right in.
I like that idea LeeAnne.  How deep are these ponds?  Any air stone or filtering, fishies?

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
LeeAnne,

You could do what Sean does and trim leaves to keep them smaller.  Without a doubt Sean has the highest lily/ft(2) I have ever seen and the dixie cup pots are unique too.  see Hermine to see how it overflows a 24" pot.

Tink:

I still recommend at least a 24" pot since you will want to stick vertical plants to give some height as well as plants that drape such as parrots feather. 

Double S what do you have?  I think I'm up to 63 varieties at this point and I continue to weed out ones that just don't perform up to my standards, i.e. Bonnie has volunteered to take Atopurpurta off my hands (Lucida is similar and hands down a better bloomer)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Coolshades, those are great arrangements of the waterplants!   Thanks for the photos!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 07:48:50 PM »
The ponds in question are about twenty inches deep. No filtration. No fish. Loads of wildlife though, bugs, tadpoles, dragonflies etc.

I did pluck extra pads all summer on Hermine, PBR and Charlie's Choice. Did not have to in the other pond except on Chrysantha.

I think it would be a huge pain to dig them up and switch to the bigger pond so they'll probably stay.

Here is a photo, only PBR is blooming
:

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »
That is so gorgeous LeeAnne!  I got bitten!!!  Now I have the courage to give it a try too.  I like!  Thanks LeeAnne!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"