Author Topic: "Tub" garden tips  (Read 1418 times)

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
"Tub" garden tips
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
We picked up 4 pots from Sams club over the weekend, they are 23 gallons in size, and I am planning on turning all 4 into "tub" gardens on the back patio. . I plan on lining each one with left over epdm liner from my pond build, each having one lily, and a small amount of grass and or floating plants and a few mosquito fish. All will be in full sun and fed with micro drippers. We do get a lot of sun here in the desert, if it becomes to much, I can pull the containers part way under the patio cover. Any tips or suggestions would be great as we have never had these before! Any plant/lily ideas? Below are pictures of the pots, and one from the Van Ness water gardens website for reference.

Thanks!

Greg

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: "Tub" garden tips
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »
Here's one I did a couple of years ago...water lily, umbrella plant and pickerel weed...one problem is that the plants get too big.

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:01:45 AM »
I think they will need shade.  I tried that with an old bathtub in Cat City and the water got so hot it cooked the mosquito fish and the plants.  In full sun out in the desert there is no way to keep a limited amount of water cool enough for things to live in it. 

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:15:04 AM »
Good advice Jonna, I will start out with them underneath the patio cover. Thanks Argo5, I will keep that in mind, once they grow beyond the reaches of the pot, I can possibly move them into the big pond....

Greg

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
I love doing container gardens!!  One of my favorites I cant seem to find the picture of but it was bright blue pot planted with the lime colored sweet potatoe vine and a black taro.  it was really a pretty combo.  I also really like umbrella palms and taros underplanted with parrots feather.. it makes a neat trailling pot. 

We had some brutal heat for us last year.. mid 90's to 100's on average and I had to water mine more frequently.. Most of mine get sun from morning till 2ish afternoon.  I think they like that protection in the hot hot evening.

The picture below was out front in total full sun next to blacktop driveway.  It is planted with  Joyce's lotus, silk stockings and siberian pink cups .  The all seemed to laugh at the heat other than the lotus blooms did seem to fade very quickly.  Not sure if that was heat.

tinkster

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:37:28 AM »
Container gardening is soo much fun....the possibilities are endless...the one thing I would say is look for dwarf varities and try to use plants that don't spread like wildfire---and you always want to include plants with height, color, and texture....one of my favorite combinations is a plant that spreads and cascades down the pot-something with height and hopefully color or texture(examples-varigated sweetflags(they come in standard and dwarf),corkscrew, taro, dwarf papyrus or king tut papyrus, bluebells, and ect) and then something that blooms...also anything that holds water or can be made to hold water can be used as a container garden....tons of really neat possibilities...the one that gets the most notice at my house are the old washer tub I lined with plastic, sprayed foam on the outside of it and spraypainted...I also have an old metal water cooler, an old bathroom sink that is buried in the ground and looks like a tiny water garden, lined army ammo boxes and an old mini-bathtub out of a travel trailer....I have found container gardens do really well with morning sun and afternoon shade....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
Last year, I had bought 3 water lilies in one gallon pots.  I placed them in a large tub.  Due to the 100+ temps, they went into shock.  I called the person I bought them from (this was before I knew about this forum) and he said it was due to the high temp and no water circulation.  I'm in zone 9/10 and I know it gets pretty hot in Palm Springs.  However, from what I have learned here, you can grow lotus in containers.  I guess it depends on what you put in them. 
Alfonso

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:33:35 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I am starting the search for plants as we speak!

Greg

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:15:57 PM »
GArden tubs are great  and you can have a lot of fun trying different things here are a few ideas.

GAry

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:36 PM »
wow.. love them all!

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"