Author Topic: Should we have a secret plant exchange this Spring?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Should we have a secret plant exchange this Spring?
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »
I would be glad to take care of exchanging names and plant lists unless someone else would like to.
(this would mean that I/you wouldn't participate due to it being a secret)

Here's what I'm thinking..
Everyone makes a list of what plants they have/will have to trade and a list of plants they would like to have.  This could be aquatic or terrestrial plants or both.

Whomever the coordinator is would be given the persons list along with their shipping address and the coordinator would try to make the best match possible.
Example: I have Almost Black, Black Gamecock Iris on my want list and Tinkster has these on her list of what she's got to trade so we would be a good match, etc.

Okay how do we make this fair.
Suggestions??

My SUGGESTIONS are:
Anyone with less than 30 posts would have to wait until the plants that they sent are received, before their secret exchange is sent.  (everyone needs to be sure and post when they receive their box)
Everyone would have a deadline to mail out packages.(maybe late May?)
Everyone would send at least ? 3 ? plants and send out decent size divisons.

Any other suggestions or do you think this might be fun?

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Should we have a secret plant exchange this Spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:20:45 AM »
Even though I'm one of those with less then 30 posts, I would be interested in the spring exchange O0

We had a lot of fun doing this on another board I was on....

Vicky

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:46:44 AM »
Hey, I am all ways up for fun trades ...   @O@

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:02:38 AM »
Bonnie if you need any help with this project---just let me know...I would be glad to help you....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
I think its a great idea. :) I'm just not sure that I will have anything to share. ::)
I know I won't have any extra lilies.  :-\
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
sounds like much fun to me!  have often thought of suggesting some type of trade, share etc as all the other boards seem to have so much fun doing it.  When I walk through my garden so many nice people have sent me things its like my garden is ???? parts of people and you dont forget that.. I never know the names of most the plants but they are so and so 's plant. 

Not sure if I would be good at secret though,   especially if someone posted how much they loved what they got and I knew it was mine, if they didnt like it I might be able to keep it secret :)

do you think it would be good idea to use a flat rate box???  so everyones postage is the same and they really allow for some nice size plants???  shipping can so drastically differ now depending on what part of the country and we have so many of those " west coasters"  :) then everyone would know up front what its gonna cost to participate and could get the box free from the post office and that would also give everybody a good idea of what will fit in those boxed and how much they should be tradiing???.. there are two sizes.. anyway just a thought.......... hopefully mine will be stuffed to the brim :) 

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »
Thanks Lawanna.. don't know if you're interested in getting in the trade but I thought the coordinator wouldn't be in it
(Tink) because the names would be secret only until a person receives their box.

Vicky, you and others would be completely welcome in a trade.  I was just trying to think of a way to keep the rare deadbeat from doing this with the intentions of giving anything back in return.
This is a rare occasion but does happen...

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Bonnie no I thought I would just help you if you wanted it...I'm sure I'll have lots of trades going on anyways   ::)......Tink I did this one year and was sooo happy with the surprise of seeing just what was in the box....I must say I wasn't disappointed......
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »
I think it would be fun. But isn't it difficult to ship to Calif?   And maybe some people will not have 3 plants to share.  Do  you mean 3 plants to one address? I think it is a great idea. Lets see how many we can get on the list? And I agree about new posters. Some of them hunt out these forums in the Spring asking for free plants for postage. Then you never see them again. I have not sent any boxes without return address before, just in case. One of my friends sent me a box one time with wrong zip code and it ended up in Nebraska instead of Missouri. I still tease her about that one. And she had mailed me boxes for 7 years before the mistake. LOL

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:59:20 PM »
Sound's like fun to me , I've alway's got an extra plant or 3..... ;D .

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, I think I want more then I could share, but the pond is still frozen so hard to tell.  My problem is so many of my lilies are no-names, not real high on the food chain of wants.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »
It's a wonderful idea but I'm afraid I'm with marla and Shanna. I'm so low on plants still and I devided my lillies last year of no names so radicly! I need so many more plants, and it's way way to earlie to see if the ones I got from Lawanna last year even made it through the winter :'(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 08:04:16 AM »
Marla, some that aren't collectors might want a RED, Pink, etc waterlily!

Vickie, we'll have to check into the California thing... Jerry will know.

Another thought, those that only had one plant to trade would only be sent one plant.. two plants to trade would be sent two, etc.

How about everyone has until the first week in May to decide what they have and want, then submit the lists.  Knowing that all packages must be shipping by the end of the month.

When submitting your list you will include:
*Your userID,name and address

*What plants(aquatic or land) you have to trade, if you have only one .. you will be matched up with someone that has one.
(SUGGESTION, if you have a TINY start of a marginal, include another one to make up for it... 2/1. We realize these don't have to be mature plants, just try to make divisons half way nice starts.)

*Plants(aquatic or land) that you are looking for. 
If you don't care what kind of waterlily, marginal, floater, etc... just say WATERLILY, RED waterlily, etc.

Also when submitting lists, be sure and include if something is tropical and if you would like to receive a tropical plant.

Once lists are submitted to the coordinator, the coordinator will PM you with your info such as person and their wish list. 
You will then have until the end of May to ship out, please contact coordinator when you ship so the receiver can be notified that they have a shipment coming.

Oh and be sure and Include your userID with your plants so the receiver will know who sent the plants!

Hope this makes sense...... chime in for suggestions or concerns! :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
Bonnie,

This is a great idea.  I love to get packages in the mail.  My favorite plants are the ones I got from friends and family, and you guys are my friends and family. o(:-)

Karen

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 05:53:12 AM »
Bonnie, May sounds good, that way I'm hoping the pond is clear of ice and snow, never count on it though there was that May 10, 1990 storm of 14".  I know I will be repotting lilies again this year, I bought a bunch of the black dishpans everyone talks about, last year all transplants went in 10" pots, and I always have sometype of marginals to rid myself of.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:02 AM »
I'm gonna have to wait and see what happens in my pond. I had left the lilies on the plant ledge and then we put a net over it for leaves. I kinda forgot that I wanted to drop the lily pots down to the bottom and the next thing I knew, it was frozen over. I waited until it thawed and then put them down. So I don't know if they survived or not. If they did, I should divide them.

I once told a lady on another forum that I could use some of her castoffs and that I would reimburse her the postage. When it came, it was a huge box and cost $37. I about croaked because, #1 it was a lot of money I wasn't expecting, and #2 I didn't know what I was going to do with it all. Eventually I did find places for it, but a little died.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
We will all just have to see what things look like in May. Our last frost date is May 12th.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
Marla , Esther , Shanna , You could alway's trade for some land plant's .
I think that's I'll probley have to trade .

bonnie

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
It sounds like a lot of us have lots of ground plants and NEED water plants. I wonder if it would work out trading that way :-\
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »
lol I am just the opposite.. I seem to do okay with the pond plants but cant get my ground plants to winter over.

I have tried 3 years now and spent a fortune on coneflowers.  I love the big sky series ones.  but anyway. none wintered over and I check the ones I have now and they just broke off at the surface and there doesnt appear to be any roots left below so I think I lost them all again :(

I thought nobody could kill coneflowers :)

tinkster

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
Most definitely count me in.  I've got 3 or more plants can share,
easily.  From lotus to hardies to tropicals to marginals.
Marie

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
so Tink, You and I would make a perfect pair to match up for tradding! My ground flowers do really well and most reseed everywhere.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »
It sounds like a lot of us have lots of ground plants and NEED water plants. I wonder if it would work out trading that way :-\

Debbie we would just have you sent your part of the trade to a person that wants land plants!

Tink sorry about the coneflowers.. sounds like me and a few plants which normally are super easy to grow.
Coneflowers and Daisy varieties are some of my favorites but I'm a cottage garden kinda gal.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
 @O@ Well alritty then! count me in! the only problem is I'm not one who remembers every plant nae or writes it down. but I have lots of hardy plants to share. @O@
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
Sounds like fun.  Count me in.  Just need to read this post again.....no memory retention after a week of leisure.  ;D

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
I lost my memory retention years ago thank you very much for reminding me  lol
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Double S

• Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
After the flood last summer and a super cold winter -- I don't know if much survived to trade.....so instead or me trading, I wouldn't mind being a coordinator of this Spring exchange!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"