Author Topic: I know I live in Ohio but..  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I know I live in Ohio but..
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »
it should be maybe looking a little like spring.  We had a huge ice storm Monday, yesterday all the ice was gone!  Right now it has started to snow again and we are expecting a FOOT by tomorrow evening :blowup:   The winds are blowing about 20-30 mph and it's 28 degrees.  I can't believe you guys in California are actually seeing blooms and sitting on your patios.  Today I want OUTTA HERE!   >:(-  Thanks for listening!  :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I know I live in Ohio but..
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »
Spring will get here when it darn well feels like it >:( and I don't think it will be anytime soon.)
Wow, guess I havn't looked at the weather map lately---another foot?  :o we're at just about 8' of snow so far this year.
Below 0 deg for the next two nights----Just keep bringing in more wood  ::)

Kittyzee, are you anywhere near Oberlin? I'll be out there in June-just a couple days though.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »
May be cold here, but the SUN is Shinning so nice it makes me smile.  We have not seen alot of sun this winter, so this is soooooooo nice :)  I feel for you Kittyzee, but you can keep the snow, I've had to much of that.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »
Yes life is tough.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Hey Beach Boy,

If'n your gonna post pics of your beach babes, at least make them big enough for these old eyes to see them. O0 O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
OMG Jerry, that's just mean!   :o  Seriously, you can't believe the storm we're getting, I am NOT happy about it.  Doesn't change anything though, I'll just work at my art desk and drink something warm and dream of the day when I can actually WALK OUTSIDE WITHOUT BEING BLOWN TO THE NEXT COUNTY! 

Steve, I'm about 23 miles Northeast of Springfield, and about 40 minutes North of Dayton, 40 minutes West of Columbus.  I need to look at a map and see where Oberlin is, the name sounds familiar; must be a college in that town? 

Marla we had sun here yesterday and it WAS wonderful, put's a whole new perspective on things doesn't it?  It melted all the ice from the trees and wires, just in time for this Nor'easter. 

Ah, it can't be too much longer.  My poor fish are buried under about 2 inches of ice but I saw them a few days ago and they all looked up at me and waved their little fins.  They are all ok,  ;D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
Not much melting going on here, seeing as it's only 14*F, but the sun is a much welcomed and needed site.  Haven't seen fish since Nov.  sure hope they are all safe under the ice and snow.  My hubby's brother and his family live outside of Columbus in Westerville.  DH's company sold to Cargill and rummer has it they may move his plant to Cincinati.  They have already moved the R&D dept.  and Purchasing is going as soon as the lady there retires.  We are hoping it is not true... Don't want to leave the  land of the"Frozen Tundra" and "Cheeseheads"
Stay warm, and don't go out if the snow is that bad.
Her secret is patience.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Sorry all you guys who are still in winter. :'( It looks like our spring is comming early. @O@ Still in the 20ies at night but the days are getting much warmer. It said 55* yesterday but we have very cold winds here that prevent you from being out long. It is great tho just to have the sun shinning again! I'm not going to hold my breath tho, I don't trust Mother Nature one bit :-\
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »
I went out on the porch long enough to grab wood and head back in--that was nasty with the 30 mph wind blowing snow all up my face (and everything else!!  lol

I tried to take a couple of pics from the upstairs windows, they aren't really good but you get the idea.  The first one is looking out a North window in front of our house, the second one is looking out of an east window down the road. 

Granddaughter was sent home from school early, youngest daughter is on her way home from work early and DH has headed out the door to do the chores and feed the cattle.  I'm not going anywhere I guess!!  So much for our Friday night fish fry, and I was looking forward to it to!  ;)
LuAnn

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
Holy smokes!  We thin blooded Californians and Floridians would not survive.  At least not keeping our sanity.
I grew up in PA and remember liking the snow as a kid.  Especially with Hershey Syrup on it!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »
But Kitty, you don't have much snow on the ground. I'm guessing the snow on the lawn here is maybe 6" and there are piles along the drive that are 3' deep. Today it is pretty cold but the sun is shining so we are hopeful that spring is on the way.

YESTERDAY I HEARD A ROBIN!!!That is a sure sign that the few scouts have arrived from the south. These are the males and it'll be a while before the females and the rest of the males come. They say that a few of the robins even winter here but I've never seen them.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »
I feel for you LuAnn!  Over here in Indiana, it seems like spring will never come.  >:( :(
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Yes, Esther.  My daughter and I were talking yesterday at her school stop about the Robin's.  Then watch two males, wing each other and scuffle around.  I said hmmm, spring isn't too far off. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »
Kittyzee, looks icky, but yeah not much snow on the ground, that's what we would call a dusting, nuiscense snow.  But this time of the year I understand....we are looking for Spring and warmth, not snow and 30mph winds.
Her secret is patience.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
I feel your pain, tonight we are under a blizzard warning which is the first in about 10 yrs.
We're supposed to end up with around 14" of snow by tomorrow which they say will most likely break our 24 hr record snowfall.

We did get just alittle sleet this afternoon but guess we are lucky because we didn't get more than that.  Snow is bad enough but the ice is worse.

Stay warm and safe everyone,
Bonnie

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
Can't you imagine when all this starts melting.  Local area's were just under flash flood warning the other night.  The grounds are so saturated.  The river is above flood stage.  Its going to be a real mess before long.

Remember last summer, drought conditions and now this.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
Yeah, I know there's not much snow on the ground,,it had all melted yesterday before this one struck.  Remember the wind is blowing 30 to 40 mph, not much sticking yet.  Good news they dropped the winter storm warning.....and gave us a blizzard warning until tomorrow evening.   :o  We will be looking at 4 FOOT drifts by tomorrow afternoon. 

We have robins in the woods all year round but they don't come into the yard until early spring.  I did have my first red-winged blackbirds a couple of days ago and they were hitting the feeders hard!  Poor little guys, I wonder where they are now.  No birds could eat at the feeders for a large part of yesterday because the ice was falling from the trees and it was like a war zone.  Finally all melted off and they could safely eat in the early evening. 

I'll try to get a couple of pics of the snow tomorrow and post 'em.

We said the heck with it and went to the fish fry anyway--in a level 2 snow emergency!  Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! lol
LuAnn

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »
This has been a weird winter!  We have had 70* temperatures one day, and then the next day had an ice or snow storm and down to the 20's or 30's. >:(  It was down to about 20* last night, but it's supposed to warm up over the next few days and be in the 60's by Weds.  I'm sorry some of you are still getting tons of snow.

Jerry, you should go visit Kittyzee, so she could bury you in one of those snow drifts.   {:-P;;  ;D

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »
Wow! today we had a drop dead beautiful no wind day. I was out for most of it in just my shirt!!!!!! @O@ Sorry all you in cold snowy places, That is usually me.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
Ya know, I just might try to bury Jerry in some of this snow....hmmmmm  ::)  Well, it finally stopped at around 5:30 this evening.  We have a foot of snow on the ground and a level 3 snow emergency; only emergency vehicles aloud on the roads.  I did go outside this afternoon during part of the blizzard (couldn't stand being in any longer) and filled the feeders and scraped down to the gravel in the driveway for the birds to get some grit.  The horned larks and snow buntings were ever so grateful for the dirt and the seeds!!  ;)  Once the snow quit blowing the birds were out in full force trying to fuel up for the night. 

It's supposed to be 30* tomorrow and in the 50's by Wed. or Thursday--go figure.  It was nice to be in though, I worked in my little studio and made brownies and played in the snow, kinda like being in kindergarten!   lol  The kids couldn't come out because of the snow emergency--I love my kids and grandkids but sometimes God knows how to bestow a treasured gift, doesn't he? :D  Life will be back in full force soon enough, enjoy the little moments.

Don't forget to move your clocks ahead tonight, no church for us tomorrow though all of 'em are closed. 
Stay warm and safe everyone  o(:-)
LuAnn

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
I thought I was gonna get buried.  Went to the ER yesterday.
 Diagnosis "Premature Ventricular contractions"  I self Diagnosed A-Fib.  I was wrong. PVC is apparently NOT life threatening, but the irregular pulse alarmed me. As did the elevated blood pressure. It is always normal. (with meds)

I had an EKG last week, Did well as usual. Treadmill was to be last Friday, but I got a nasty "bug" and had to cancel.
The things that may cause this are things I do NOT do.  Caffeine very seldom and even then very little.  No smoke, No drink.  I will see the Cardiologist Monday, tomorrow.
The ER Dr. was a gorgeous Korean, Dr. Park.  Never even got a sponge bath!  (joking)
 I do 10 plus miles daily on a bike and feel I am in decent shape.  Why vent here?  well where else?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
Oh Dear Jerry! I'm sorry to hear all this. You take care and keep us posted. And of coarse vent here, that's what friends are for! :hug:
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
Hey Jerry,

Not good news----I guess some good news though, non life threatening---vent when you want----No sponge bath {nono}, that is not good news either ;)

But it did bring back a wonderful memory---In 79 I lived in Korea for 4 months----business, (well OK, mixed with pleasure) ..............................Loved them sponge baths o(:-) o(:-)

Thanks for the memory, and you take care!
Steve

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »
Of course you vent here, that's what people do when they feel safe and that others care.  This is the best bunch and I find myself thinking "wonder what Jerry would say about this" or "how would Esther or Tink go about doing this" like I've actually MET these friends!  This place has really influenced my life in a GOOD WAY! O0    o(:-)
LuAnn

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
Jerry that is frightening no matter what shape you're in. I hope they can figure it out and get it corrected. I have been having strange beats for about 6 months, every once in a while maybe 6-10 beats real fast. 2 months ago I had al allergic reaction to my blood pressure med they said. My tongue swelled up so badly I couldn't get my teeth together. So when I went to the doctor after the med center, I told her about the irregular beats. She said the new blood pressure med also helps regulate heart beats and it has. It is Verapimil.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
I am doing fine, will know more after the DR. tomorrow morning.  I did read that for this "PVC" they want to avoid meds.  that in itself is good cause it means it works out.
Sure watched a lot of TV today!  read a book, fed the fish.  I am sure this is taking it easy.
Yes Esther it really is called "PVC."  "premature ventrifical palpitations"
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:42 AM »
Wow, Jerry! You take care of yourself! Sounds like you are taking it easy just as the doctor ordered. Keep us posted!

LuAnn, I'm in Ohio, too. We got hit with the blizzard, too. It was 70 degrees and beautiful on Monday and then Friday night and Saturday 13 inches of snow!!!! But I guess Columbus got more like 20 inches!! They are still digging out and from what I saw on the news most of the schools are out up there today. My kids are just on a 2 hour delay this morning. Of course, this all came after I was off work for a week with a child with the flu!!! House-bound with and 8 year old with the flu for a week, then a blizzard, now a 2 hour delay!!!! I think you get the picture!!!! I am actually READY to go BACK to work!!!!!  ::)

Our paper posted a blog on their website "How does this blizzard compare to the Blizzard of '78?" I don't know if you remember or were around for the Blizzard of '78. I was in Jr High. I remember being out of school for 2 weeks, having no heat at one of the schools so when school did start the jr high and high school had to alternate days in order to share the building, everything was shut down so you had to walk everywhere, I saw a report on the news on the 30th anniversary date saying the national guard was brought in to help clear the streets and to transport emergency personnel to and from the hospitals, so NO this comes no where NEAR comparing to the Blizzard of '78!!!
Becky

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 07:03:19 AM »
You're right Oceanbum, it doesn't even compare to the blizzard of '78!!  We had 10-15' drifts that only large equipment could move through, and we had to walk through farm fields to the nearest state route when they finally got open to get bread and milk and dog food that the in-laws brought to their house when they could navigate to town.  The roads were completely cleared here yesterday -- it was 30* and supposed to be around 40* today.  Hopefully, this won't stay around for long.  I don't know how much snow we actually got, but so much of it blew into drifts and the grass in the yard was still showing so go figure  ;)

I hear ya about being house bound with sick ones and then the blizzard--enough already!  Work seems like a vacation doesn't it?  lol

I love the town of Chillicothe, only about and hour and a half from me...I just hop on Rt. 56 and head south--what a scenic and relaxing ride!  My sister and brother in law used to live there, where he worked at Ross Co. Corrections as director of Mental Health (seems like a contradiction doesn't it?)  I can't remember the name of the street where they lived but the housing area was old and I think it was called "Story Place" or something like that.  I loved their house and me and my girls would go down for a quick get away!
LuAnn

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »
I was normal last night, no skipped beats.  Off to Dr this morning.  I read about things that could trigger this thing.  I do none of them, no cold medicines, drugs or booze.  Oh I did taste some Rum a few weeks ago, I liked it!   But I don't drink , maybe a beer or 2 a year!
There is Caffine in a lot of stuff, so maybe it's a possibility?

I got an AARP Commercial coming up, I am qualified now!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 11:00:58 AM »
Went to the ER Saturday.
 Diagnosis "Premature Ventricular contractions"  I self Diagnosed A-Fib.  I was wrong. PVC is apparently NOT life threatening, but the irregular pulse alarmed me. As did the elevated blood pressure. It is always normal. (with meds)

I had an EKG last week, Did well as usual. Treadmill was to be last Friday, but I got a nasty "bug" and had to cancel.
The things that may cause this are things I do NOT do.  Caffeine very seldom and even then very little.  No smoke, No drink.  I will see the Cardiologist Monday, tomorrow.
The ER Dr. was a gorgeous Korean, Dr. Park.  Never even got a sponge bath!  (joking)
 I do 10 plus miles daily on a bike and feel I am in decent shape. 
Jerry
The Dr on call for the Cardiologist stunk.  I called the Internist, the Dr covering for him said. "If it was my father I d say go to the ER now."

UPDATE
Saw Dr B the Cardiologist this morning.  Although my pulse is normal to my touch, it is not with the EKG.  I am wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours.  He said it MAY need a tweaking with meds.  He did an ultra sound too.  Said there was NO damage.
I have an AARP Commercial coming up.  I will be qualified!

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"