Author Topic: Who has experience with Astilbe??  (Read 1475 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Who has experience with Astilbe??
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
I am going to plant some by my pond since I am not moving to North Carolina now. I purchased Red Pink and Purple! I understand that it loves the shade and wet soil anything else I should know ?? Does Lavendar grow well in the shade? that may be a good complimentary plant...

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Who has experience with Astilbe??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »
I have multiple colors of astilbes, they do like shade and if not enough water they will tell you right away, the leaves/frons will really look dry and curled.  Only had them a year or so in there present location, I had tried them another time and had no luck, so I'm hoping these work out, my Grandma always had them and I thought they were so pretty and airy.  Not sure about lavander, I've always wanted to try some, bought seeds and never got them planted.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:59:22 AM »
I have lots of astilbe, Marla is right about the underwatering.  Astilbe is pretty hardy in general, though.  As for the lavendar, it likes sun.  I tried to grow lavendar in a partly-shaded location once, and it just didn't do well at all.

Offline Derrick

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:07:13 AM »
I have a white one. It is planted in the shade, but doesn't get enough water and always looks dry. I am going to split it and move it this year, just not sure where to. :)
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »
Well I thought that I would plant them within this area here, they get some sunlight but only a little. I figures I would add in some Monkey flower and that will give me a pretty diverse look...

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »
Lavender needs full sun and good drainage and Astilbe needs some shade and wants moist soil. I have had trouble here with it, even in pots because it stops raining for three months and the soil really dries out.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »
My Astibell is only in morning sun tell around 11 but It's so dry here I never get enough water to them. I was wondering about making one  a shallow margionl ? Lavender grows like crazey here. lots of sun and like the dry heat!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
I've thought about that also, I have one end of the lily pond where it is shady and tends to overflow there if it rains.  Andy I have mine under a tree also, I think the tree roots soak up a lot of the extra moisture, so might be why I need to water more.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »
Tree roots certainly can be a big problem
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »
Astilbe are tough to make happy in FL.  They can succeed though in mostly shady conditions and lots of moisture (not waterlogged, however, teh crown must stay well above the waterline).  Do not mulch too heavily during the winter as the soil needs to cool for winter dormancy to occur.  Lavender will require very different conditions; well drained soil that dries out frequently and LOTS of sun.

Steve

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
Lavender will require very different conditions; well drained soil that dries out frequently and LOTS of sun.
Steve is correct.  I have many different kinds of lavendar growing in my yard, chosen for the drought tolerant aspect and the flowers.  Astilbe needs too much water for my area.

Did I miss something, Andy?  Besides becoming a Grandpa soon and keeping your wonderful resort, what happened to moving?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"