Author Topic: Spring blossoms in Napa  (Read 1335 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spring blossoms in Napa
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:08:33 PM »
My DH and I spent all of last week in Napa following a weekend in Sonoma for their wine Barrel Tasting Festival.  Besides all the great wine and fabulous food we witnessed miles and miles of beautiful fruit tree blooms while driving through the Central Valley - between SoCal and NoCal. 

While in Napa we dined at Julia's Kitchen, named for culinary legend Julia Child, at Copia, the American Center for Wine, Food and the Arts.  As you can imagine the food was delicious but what made it extra special to me was that most of the vegetable ingredients are grown on the premises.  Wine, naturally, local stuff. 

In addition to the over 30 different herbs that are grown, during fall/winter, 50-60% of the produce on the menu comes from these gardens – including kale, chards, beets, carrots, broccolis and cauliflowers. During spring/summer that number jumps to 80-90% - including cucumbers, tomatoes (120 varieties), sweet peppers, chilies and basils.
Always sourcing out the freshest and the best, Chef Jeff's California-French cuisine references the use of produce and products mostly grown/raised in California, utilizing the French technique for preparation. Depending on the season, guests may find such specialties as Don Watson Milk Fed Lamb, succulent Sonoma Liberty Duck, delicate Petrale Sole, or Dungeness Crab.

I hope these photos give you a peak of the awesome gardening happening on this property.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spring blossoms in Napa
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
I walked into their garden early morning, way before lunch and caught the executive chef, Jeff, picking produce for the lunch menu.  So Cool!  The garden is beautiful and a learning experience for me.  In their greenhouse they have lots of starts of all kinds of vegetables and orange trees with early blossoms.  The fragrance in there was delicious.  I didn't even cross the street to their other garden plot! 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:13:05 PM »
Across the street....more gardens.  And More color all around.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
Garden structures....

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »
The Greenhouse to die for.....

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
You guys are great travelers!  Love the photos and the very clean greenhouse o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »
WOW Annette,

Those are just plain gorgeous photos. What a wonderful place! My DH just bought himself a helicopter in Oklahoma and ended up driving home with it in his truck. On the way down he ran into some nasty weather in Colorado and decided to drive back through Arizona and California. He mentioned that there were acres and acres of beautiful fruit trees in bloom. I sure would love to visit California in the spring some time and when  we do will put this place on the list. Food sounds wonderful and of course being French I really appreciate a good wine. California does produce some very nice wine.

Maryvonne

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
Nice photos, I can feel it!  Come on Spring!!!

Maryvonne, a helicopter?!!!  Tell Peter to be careful  will you guys use it to get to Victoria?

Gary

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »
I can't believe how clean the greenhouse is either, Jerry.  You can almost eat off that floor!  So neat and tidy, makes ya want to toss some dirt.... {nono}

California wine is improving rapidly!  In Napa we have our favorites but on this trip we found some very small but old wineries that haven't gone Hollywood or commercial.  Fabulous wine for a small price.  In total we only bought a little more than 4 cases and a few magnums of excellent wine from all over this region.  My DD will be graduating from UCI in June; need to be prepared for a great party!  @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"