Author Topic: My new hobby..."Golfing"  (Read 1454 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
My new hobby..."Golfing"
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
Well, I have finally decided to get more fuel efficient. I purchased this 2004 VW Golf TDI (turbo diesel) this week. It has a full two year warranty as it was certified pre-owned and has a few extras like the tinted windows, sun roof, and automatic/triptronic transmission. I've been told it will get 700 miles/tank (on a good day). It sure is better than 20 mpg that the Volvo averages on my commute! The hatchback is SO handy too. My dad has had a Beetle TDI for about 10 years now and loves it, he does about 50/50 highway/city and his overall fuel economy runs around 45 mpg. Wow! I also got them to throw in the tailored Golf monster mats and trunk liner. They're all heavy duty rubber liners that will be great for hauling around plants and stuff.

So, anyone want to go "Golfing"?  ;)

Also, I've been going nuts planting camellias in my Texas yard (to remind me of that beautiful Florida yard). The first one is blooming!

And here are some dark red encore azaleas that I put in today. Can't wait for them to bloom!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:08:38 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: My new hobby..."Golfing"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »
Oh my gosh, that's the same color Camellia that we had in Virginia. Funny how the memory works.

It's a great plant, wish I could grow it here.

Looks & sounds like a very practical car, cute too!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »
We bought a red GTI VW in 1985 (car of the year) and just sold it about 2 years ago to a collector friend.   :'(

"Ruby" was real good German workmanship  O0 and never had any problems besides the usual wear and tear.  Original engine worked beautifully.  Gas saver and easy to zip in and out of places.  AND she's been all over the west half of the US including a trip to Houston, TX; Seattle, WA;  and numerous times on ski trips to Utah, Vail, CO and Lake Tahoe.  We have at least 350,000 miles on her (had to change the odometer twice).

My kids learned how to drive manual gear with her and my youngest (DD) took Ruby over during high school and 1st year in University.  We definitely got our monies worth from this 2 door hatchback.
Hope you enjoy your Golf as much as we did ours!  @O@

Love camillias but not too lucky growing them.  :(

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Looks like a good purchase all around for you and your family.

Your yard is looking good.

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
What a darling car! And awesome fuel mileage!  Hope it helps turn yoru new garden into a paradise :)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:18:25 PM »
What a cute little car!  I'd like to have one like that...especially with today's gas prices.   :o

I'm sure you will have your gardens in beautiful shape in no time.   O0

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
Hey Jessica:

Have to admit the title fooled me and i thought you were starting a frustrating forey into chasing a little ball all over a park setting.  If you need an address there are a few golf courses in the Houston area that we did with over 3000 lilies.

Pictue of the Camelia is a nice one do you know the variety?

Gary

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
Great looking little car. I'm planning on a little car but gas. I drive a dodge diesal now and even tho she gets 20mpg the cost of diesal is $3.98 :D >:(-
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »
Thanks again for all of the comments. So far, I'm still loving it! I caught a little bit of dime-sized hail on my commute home yesterday, but was lucky enough to pull under a covered shoulder on the highway. Crazy weather here in Dallas yesterday!

Gary, This particular camellia is called Coral Delight, and it came from the Monrovia nursery. I also have the tags for some of the others stored away. The other names that currently come to mind are Cleopatra and Taylor's Perfection. There is at least one "peppermint striped" one too. I just planted some peonies between the camellias to have a similar bloom at a different time of year. I'm trying to plant more perennials and get away from the bad habbit of annuals.

I've done the math, and even with higher prices on diesel, I still get double the mileage per dollar spent. I love the utility of the hatchback too.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
Just give me the car and nobody will get hurt!!!  @O@ @O@ good buy!
Mary

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
Ha, here's a nice little find. The car was initially purchased and serviced at the place I bought it from. I got a copy of all service records the other day and noticed that it was listed as a GLS model. They advertised it as only a GL. I verified with the VIN that it is indeed a GLS. The NADA value is about $1500 more for the GLS than the GL (few minor extras). Anywho, I paid just under the retail price for a GL model. Sweet! Let's just hope it stays reliable.

Also, the reports of 700 miles/tank are for manual models. Mine is an automatic and isn't getting that much, BUT, it's still double the milage my Volvo got!  So far just under 40 mpg city driving. @O@ @O@

Thanks again for the comments!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"