Author Topic: after the first string algae attack....  (Read 1928 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
after the first string algae attack....
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:32:41 PM »
I started getting the dreaded string algae now that the temps are warmer...it came on fast!

Here's a couple pics...water still clear, just lots of string algae!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: after the first string algae attack....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:57:57 PM »
How did you get rid of it?  I clean mine out and it returns in two days.  I tried the peroxide method and nothing.  What's you secret? 
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »
Last year I used Pondcare Algaefix a couple times and it did pretty well.  Of course, I did have to use pvc and roll up a bunch of algae until it cleared up, but it kept it nice all summer long.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks.  I'll give it a try.
Alfonso

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »
I did it.  I used Tetrapond product.  It's been in my cupboard for quite a time now.  I was hesitant to use chemicals, but I'm up to my eyes in string algae.  Is it normal for the water to get cloudy with the chemical?  How long does it take to work? 
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
I had some stuff a few years ago that I mixed with a bucket of water then poured out, but last year I just used this and I poured it directly into the waterfall and it eventually treated the whole pond (about 1100 gallons at 2600 gph).  I was happy with it, much more so than the first year where I tried everything, including barley and other chemicals.  Now every spring I empty the biofalls through the drian and add this stuff and that's about all I have done for the past couple years.  Seems to work okay, but I know I'll still have to get some out, but after a second treatment it clears up pretty well.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »
I'll wait about 3 days or so to try the second treatment.  After the first, my water is cloudy.  I should see some of the dead algae soon, right? 
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »
I wouldn't expect to see results that quick, and I usually go at least a month before the second treatment...trying to remember how long I waited last year, but 3 days probably isn't enough time.

I'm no expert, this worked okay for me, so if anyone else can chime in with ideas .... please do so!

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
About a month.  I need to have more patience.  {:-P;;  I'll wait.  I appreciate your help.  Your backyard is wonderful.  You should write a tutorial book.  Good stuff. 
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
lol....when I first started the pond I had the dreaded brown water and cloudiness and I did everything I could think of and that was suggested.  The past two years I have had a UV, and put brushes in the filter basket in my Savio skimmer, and have only added the Algaefix a couple times in the beginning of spring.  It's turned out okay.  I also used to do the dechlorinater, but switched to a charcoal filter for my water hose that I got at an RV store and it's worked really well.  The algae can be a pain and I do clean a lot of it out from time to time, but it's not too bad. 

When this algae starts up I sometimes wish I didn't have the pond, then when it neutralizes and I see the fish playing then I'm glad I have it.  I'm not very patient, either, though many of my friends disagree with me. 

Thanks for the compliments...it's been a lot of hard work, but enjoyable! 

Here's something for your "non-pond" issue... lol

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »
 ;D  That's too funny.  You're crafty with that photo shop.  I'm learning to be patient.  It's hard to transition from Marine to water gardener.  It's a huge difference.   
Alfonso

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
;D  That's too funny.  You're crafty with that photo shop.  I'm learning to be patient.  It's hard to transition from Marine to water gardener.  It's a huge difference.   

lol ... well, that was before I did the math and realized your son was so young!  haha

It's tough at times, but just remember that you will always have to find what works for you and when you find an acceptable solution you stick with it.  I ran the gamut on trying to control the water, and heard all sorts of stories on the horrors I'd be faced with.  Fortunately, the simplest solution was what worked for me.  I sometimes feel that too much 'preventative maintenance' is it's own cause and effect....not always, but sometimes.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"