Author Topic: The best garden equipment purchase I ever made:  (Read 883 times)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
The best garden equipment purchase I ever made:
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
The best garden equipment purchase I ever made:

Compost grinder.

The historical progression.

Back in 1962, My late father, Forrest Bailey Johns, a master gardener, retired from Shell Oil Company, and moved from Decatur, Illinois to Poplar Bluff, Missouri (His home state) and set up a serious garden.  He had fruit trees, raspberries, logan berries, flowers, and his true love, tomatoes, in great quantitiy.  One of the first equipment purchases he made was a WW Grinder.  In those days, (almost 50 years ago) there were really no other substantial equipment alternatives available for the purpose of grinding compost.

A hobby gardener myself, and always in competition with my dad for the best tasting tomato, I purchased my WW Grinder in 1972.  (The best picture I can find:

).  I used that grinder for years, but it would not chip logs and had trouble handling wet product.  Around 1993, I bought a "commercial" chipper grinder from Norther Hydraulics.  I completely wore it out in about 5 years.  Finally, in 1999,  I bought a McKissic Mighty Mac 10 hp chipper/shredder.  The cost was $1,350.  I will say this:  This shredder/chipper is good.  It is the best I have ever used.  It will easily chip up to 3 1/5 inch logs and rarely clogs, even with green material.  One thing I would caution about.  There were two oil fill plugs.  I only noticed one.  Last summer, while using the chipper, the "hidden" oil filler cap popped off and resulted in a blow out of oil and the destruction of the engine.

I replaced the engine with an 11 hp Briggs (Cost only $374), which is a physically much larger engine, and required me to do a little mechanical engineering to make it fit.  BTW, this 11 HP engine ROCKS!  While the original engine, a 10hp Briggs, was entirely sufficent, and would have lasted many years longer had I  paid attention to the oil filler caps (Both of them) this new engine has HUGE power and I expect this will be the last chipper grinder I will ever need.  If you are looking for a chipper grinder to last the rest of your life, look at it here http://www.mackissic.com/consumer/csconsumer/chipper_shredder_consumer1.htm     [The one on the right]  I note that the new models come with an 11 hp engine.

One last Caveat:  Chipper/grinders are violent machines and can cause serious or fatal injuries.  Be Careful!  Also wear hearing protection, leather gloves and eye protection while operating.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:50:16 AM by Johns »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The best garden equipment purchase I ever made:
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »
That is so cool John!  I've always admired the tree landscapers with their chippers behind the trucks.  I would love one but then again I would only use it once a year when I trim the trees.  NO room for big toys.  :D

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
miguynmkoi,

I understand the need for storage space, and I finally purchased an extra storage building for the chipper, but I must emphasize: the Mackissic Chipper is NOT a TOY. It is the real thing!  Even if you think you will use it only once a year (Easily worthwhile), you would surely fnd it extremely convienient for compost/mulch/grinding uses far exceeding  any expectations you might have. Go buy one today, and a year from now you will thank me.   BTW, I have no connection to Mackissic, or any other coommercial interst in the company. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
I understand the need for storage space, and I finally purchased an extra storage building for the chipper

;D My neighbor will not understand my putting a storage building on his yard.   :D  I'm so out of space it's not funny.  {nono}

But I can understand why you like your chipper so much  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"