Author Topic: Meet the Parents....  (Read 1662 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Meet the Parents....
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
No, not the movie, real life.  I spent the day yesterday with Kim and she asked me if I wanted to meet her family today, they're having a big family Easter get together at their house.  I guess all her family has been asking who this "Michael" guy is, so today is the day.  Since it was short notice (and mostly because I'm a guy) I don't know what/if I should bring something like a card or flowers for her mom.  I'll be a little nervous, hoping to make a good impression and all that...so help an ignorant guy out, will ya?  lol 
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the Parents....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
Anything you choose to take for a gift for mom, and I would  O0, will thrill her to death. :) Women are suckers for flowers. Maybe tulips or daffodils that could be planted outside later would be nice. A touch of spring.  That is a wonderful gesture showing her you appreciate her effort to make a nice meal and also let her know how nice it was of her to include you in a family event. ;)

And what about Kim?? Some little thing for her would be nice too. Doesn't have to be much. Get a tradition going now that you can follow through on during the years to come. OH HO, it sounds like ya got something going.  :hug:

Good luck on your day with Kim's family. I hope it goes well.

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »
Thanks...Kim and I spent the day yesterday and I cooked dinner for her and gave her a rose (sort of a belated Valentine's since we met on Feb17th).  She brought me an easter basket with candy and a soccer playing bunny since I play soccer!  She's awesome, and we had a great time just hanging out and talking.

I was thinking of getting flowers for her mom, and a card for the parents...so thanks, that helps! O0
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
Anything sentimental usually goes over big with women. I remember my Dh bringing me a plant on Mother's Day shortly after we started dating. Like a dumby I said, "I'm not your mother." I don't think that made him feel very nice. That was about 24 years ago. Tell you anything?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »
Well? tap, tap, tap, tap..........
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
Always remember; when you bring a bouquet of flowers have it in a vase.  Much better for busy hostess.

Hope you had a wonderful time Michael!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »
...and the verdict is in....

After Kim walked me out to my car, and when she went back in her mother told her that she really liked me, so I guess I passed the test!  lol

There were about a dozen or so of her family there...they were all very nice, and I enjoyed meeting them all...we had a great time. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:38 AM »
So what did you take? And more importantly, was it a good meal? And what did Kim's mom cook? My thinking is that if she is a good cook, then often the daughter will be too. But I guess if you are a good cook, then it doesn't matter if Kim isn't.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 07:48:24 AM »
I gave her mom a bunch of mini carnations, she liked them and put them at the center of the table.  Her mom's a great cook...she made some awesome cheesecake, and the food was great.  I think we're both good cooks depending on the meal, so that works out for both of us. 

Before the meal ... everyone formed a circle and we all joined hands while her neice (15) said grace, during which she 'welcomed me to the family'.  As soon as she said that, I guess she realized that Kim and I aren't quite married yet, so she added "and having him here to join us".  lol 

I like her family, and was a little nervous yesterday, but it was nice. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
I'm lovin' this for you Michael!!  And you sound so "UP" these days!!  Good for you (both of you) and Rocky too!  Enjoyed his video under the blanket -- I love that bird :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm lovin' this for you Michael!!  And you sound so "UP" these days!!  Good for you (both of you) and Rocky too!  Enjoyed his video under the blanket -- I love that bird :D

Thanks....yeah, most of last year I wasn't too happy dealing with family issues.  I finally told them all that I don't want to hear from them again, and that was the first step towards improving my mental health.  Meeting Kim was a blessing...just a chance meeting that neither of us expected - and we're both very happy.  thank you....

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »
I'm glad your meeting with the parents went well, Michael.  I wish you well with your relationship with Kim.  o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"