Author Topic: So you lotus pros. Answer me this....  (Read 1018 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So you lotus pros. Answer me this....
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »
During a recent shipment from a friend I received a lotus tuber and some other small plants. upon arrival the box  looked like the post office played football with it. The tuber was broken in a couple of places although not completely (85%) through. I thought it was going to be a loss and I placed the tuber in my indoor tub under the grow light, it had only been in there a few days when Viola.... Shoots.  I did not know what to do other than to get it planted so into the tub it went. Today I have two small floating pads. Can I expect that she will live and thrive or is it all wishful thinking and prayers?

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
Re: So you lotus pros. Answer me this....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:57:32 PM »
Andy,

Looks like a lucky "break".  I predict a healthy plant will develop from most of these tubers. 

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
I received mine in a similar way.  I planted them in a whiskey barrel, as instructed by Lawanna, and they are doing well.  Pot those suckers.  O0 
Alfonso

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:17:23 PM »
I agree with everyone.  O0
I also once recieved a completely dry to the touch and somewhat shriveled tuber....and it survived. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
This is good to know!  Thanks for the excellent photos Andy!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
Oh yeah they are good to go....Oh I have seen some pretty beat up boxes come thru here...most people know to pack them well enough to endure that.....I have yet to get a tuber in bad enough shape that it didn't make it.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
As long as you have growing tips.. the one doesn't look to me that it does though.

Good luck Andy!

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
I think the only reason that it is growing is because it was packed so well. Each growing tip was wrapped in cardboard and the entire tuber was wrapped up well. Unfortunately the box was crushed on one side and pretty badly and not much would have made it throught that. It is almost like my post man was pissed at me..... :-\
    I am glad to hear that she looks like she is going to make it as will the person who sent it to me. They were feeling pretty bad and it wasn't their fault. Quite to the contrary they will be the reason it lived. Now what did I do with those spike strips...... Dang crazy mailman. >:(-
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"