Author Topic: Gonna need some help planning a 50th anniversary party  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Gonna need some help planning a 50th anniversary party
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »
My sister and I will be planning this together for my parents on May 10th.  More than likely it will be held at the churches fellowship hall.  Decorations and stuff like that isn't the hard part, its knowing what to get them.

I know I am trying to get my hands on some photos of them from that day.  Thought about getting there wedding pic etched in granite or some similar stone.  Its hard when they don't want for nothing or need anything.

I know I'm going to get at least one pic copied, and have it centered in a frame for people to sign the matte.

What can I get them? 

This will be a surprise party, they think that we're just taking them to dinner.  This is going to be tough.

Kim
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:24:37 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Gonna need some help planning a 50th anniversary party
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »
50 Years.. what an accomplishment, Congrats to them! O0

That sounds like a nice gift Kim or something else personalized which would also include their kids and grandkids??

I'm sure the party itself will be the best gift you could give them though..........  Good luck with it!

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
I like the ideas you already have, Kim...especially the picture with a matte that can be signed by all the attendees.   o(:-)

I agree with Bonnie that the party, itself, will be the best gift...especially if you can invite friends or relatives they don't often get to see.  When our daughters did a surprise 40th anniversary party for us, I really enjoyed getting to see people I hadn't seen in a while.    O0

Do your parents still get around OK (i.e., go to the grocery store, beauty shop, etc.)?  If so, gift certificates to restaurants or services (haircut, manicure, pedicure, massage, cable TV or satellite TV...whatever) are always nice. 

One of our friends at our party gave us a basket with champagne, pretty glasses, and a scented candle in a cute little holder.  The daughters gave us money for and made arrangements for us to change to Dish Satellite with DVR (TIVO) services.  It was a great party!   @O@

I know how hard it is to get something for someone who doesn't want for anything or need anything.  My DH's 80th birthday is coming up Friday, and I have no idea what to get him.   :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »
First of all congrats to your parents and family!  Absolutely wonderful.   :2thumbs:

Collect photos of your parents and family and friends including their travels, home-life, style of their haircuts, clothing, trusty automobiles over the years.  Then make a video presentation with music and colorful voice overs with these photos.  This makes for great entertainment and memories. 

I've seen a few of these productions for various ++ years anniversary parties and they're always a hit whether they're professionally made or simply presented by regular amateurs.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »
Congrats to them. Almost 11 years ago we did a 50th for my parents. Getting to see long time old friends was what made my parents the happiest. I had my mom and dads weding pix put on a beautiful gold leaf 50th plate with a stand and they love it. But the dinner gift certificut sounds good too.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:00:09 AM »
Wow...50 years is incredible.  Congrats to them...and many many more!

Sorry...no help on the planning a party part of it, but I'm sure whatever you do will be great!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
50 years is incredible , wow ! Congradulations to them .

bonnie

Offline cashb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
Helped plan my IL's 50th and one thing we did that they loved is brought a binder with plastic sleeves to hold paper and then supplied pretty paper.  Then we passed the paper out and had any guests that felt like doing so, to write whatever they wanted.  They wrote about experiences with the couple, times growing up together, or just how much they meant to them....  We put them all in the binder and they cherish it!  Also we put disposable cameras on each table and I made a scrapbook out of the pictures and included copies of pictures from when they were young and when they first met, built a home, raised kids, etc.  It turned out great!  Good luck!   

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »
I helped plan my parents 50th 5 years ago.  It was so much fun.  Their are 8 of us kids, my oldest sister and I got together all of the old family photos, slides etc.  also everyone pitched in recent pics of their weddings/and kids.  Then my sister and I put them together starting with  pics of our parents parents then baby-adult of our parents , then us kids in order baby- graduation, then weddings, grandkids, great grandkids, friends/family.  We did a slide type computer show set to music (used her Mac, it was easy) at the end we had some one digitalize some old 8mm of their wedding/cake cutting.  The whole thing took a while, about a half hour, but was so worth it, both our parents were in tears as were quite a few guests.  We gave them a professional photo of all 8 of us kids (we had a blast at Sears having it done).  Decorations were simple, large boards with photos, my Mom's wedding dress on a dress form, silk flowers to look like her origianal, original cake topper.  With the invites we had asked everyone to return a written rememberance of a something to do with my parents or a wish for them, these were also displayed, this way we involved all and did not have to have any long dragged out oral rememberances.  We made VHS copies of the slide presentations for all us kids, my parents and a few others who asked.  My Dad watches it often and he always tells us it makes him emotional everytime he sees it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
Marla, that sound so wonderful! We didn't get quite so elaberiate but close. Like with all the pix and stuff. all us girls made all the food so all we had to pay for was the park hall we rented. Last July when I had Bills Memorial and everyone was here we took them out to dinner a few days late for there 60th. I don't think we could of topped ther 50th but they were so darn happy it made up for some of my sadness. I don't think we can do enough for our parents now.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »
We did a scrapbook for my parents' 50th a few years ago. Snuck into their house and took pictures of the kids and grandkids, wedding pics, graduation pics, vacations, baby pics, etc. and scanned them and then made a scrapbook for them. Also contacted everybody for recent pics so we were able to do baby pics and recent pics of everybody. It turned out really well and they loved it.

I also did a cross stitch sampler for them.

And we did a money tree. Spray painted a tree gold, set the tree in cement (or it might have been plaster of paris, I forget) and placed it in a 5 gallon bucket which we also painted gold, then I think we put some moss around the base of the tree. Then we tied dollar bills (denomination of your choice!!) to the branches all over the tree. They used the money for a trip to Florida.   
Becky

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Could all the family members go together and get them a trip to someplace they might like to go?? It doesn't even have to be far, perhaps a nearby attraction or resort.
That's what my parents and other relatives did when my one great aunt and uncle had their 50th years ago.
I know the biggest thing they enjoyed was seeing friends and family they hadn't seen in a long time.
One thing my mother did for them was she took their wedding picture to a florist and had them recreate her bouquet. She was so thrilled with it she sat there and cried. She said that seeing it triggered so many good memories. Sometimes things like that are far better than any other gift.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"