Author Topic: My bad and good news  (Read 1525 times)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My bad and good news
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
Bad:  My pump went out with less than 1 year of use.  I was soooo upset.  I guess it's about that time that our water is getting into the warmer temps and pumps are working a little harder. 

Good:  I bought a few items from a garage sale.  Including a pump, filter, and an airator.  Boy did they come in handy.  I went to the place where I purchased the pump (Lowes).  Without a receipt, they honored my word and exchanged the pump for store credit (they didn't have the model I needed).  I was surprised they would do such a thing.  Oh, I didn't mention that I rolled out of bed at 8:30 p.m. to do this.  I couldn't sleep knowing my koi were in danger.  I'm a little nuts, I guess.

I know the pump is not the greatest, but that store's service works for me.  It is my first pump.  I didn't investigate the importance of a durable pump.  The pump is a PP1300 made by Pond Treasures.  It is a 1400 gph submersible pump.  I paid $107 for it.  I'm pretty sure it won't last another year, but I know I can return it if something goes wrong.  It also comes with a 5 year factory warranty.  I can now sleep.     
Alfonso

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: My bad and good news
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
My first pump was junk and I was constantly working with it. Always looking out the window to see if it was running, half the time it was not.
Moral:  Buy a good one!  I got a Sequence from Gene at Koi Village and it has never missed a beat.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Speaking of Gene, I tried to get to his website a couple of days ago and all I could find to buy was Koi Clay and pictures of their ponds. Somewhere I saw something about they hoped to get  the site back and working soon.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:12 AM »
It's very agitating when the pump goes out.  We're in the same boat when things go wrong with the pond that will affect my babes.  I let my imagination get the best of me.   :D

My first pump went out on me after 4 long years.  Naturally I found out late at night and had no way to get another.  I know that my fish will survive one night, but.....  Ever since that time I have an extra pump on hand.  I bought 2 from Bonnie here recently for a steal for emergencies.  I had to use one almost right away on one of my lily pools when that pump went bye-byes.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »
A sequence, huh.  I'll take that route.  I read about bad pumps all the time here, but it's a different story when it happeneds to you.  Lesson learned.
Alfonso

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
You can pay the same for a bad pump as a good one, especially if you order the good one from Gene. I saved big buying from him.

My first mag drive pump lasted about seven years and only died because we took poor care of it. It choked to death on debris from neighbor's trees. That was running 24/7/365
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
Really?  I have to look into Gene's place. 
Alfonso

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
I love the Sequence I got from Gene, it's been very reliable and efficient.

However, I got a Little Giant pump from Lowe's in 1999 that is still running! Now, I know they don't have the greatest reputation, but this little sucker is the one I drop in the skimmer and we leave it on all winter long (while my Sequence is safely put to bed). I simply can not believe this thing is still working. It's not that efficient, using 2.3 amps and only pumping 1750 gph (was probably 65 or 75 bucks to purchase retail), but it's my "go to" pump that I've even used as a trash pump (gravel, leaves, etc). It's great to have an extra pump lying around for these things (or a few extra pumps  :D).
I keep this pump in the skimmer to run the TT, and use the Sequence to run the main filtration & waterfall.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
I bought a Sequence from Gene about seven years ago (after going through two or three submersibles) and it's still going strong. (Or at least it was when I "put it to bed" for the winter.)  I can't say enough about the importance of buying a good pump.   O0

I'm sorry to hear that Esther. I hope Gene gets his website (and himself) on his feet soon.  I hope he doesn't give up on his business since he lost Katherine.  He seemed to be doing fairly well (considering the circumstances) right after she died.  Did you try to call or email him?   Gene's a great guy and very helpful to his customers.  I really hope he stays in business for many more years.  We need him.  o(:-)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 04:43:49 AM »
Speaking of Gene, I tried to get to his website a couple of days ago and all I could find to buy was Koi Clay and pictures of their ponds. Somewhere I saw something about they hoped to get  the site back and working soon.
Remember awhile back when I posted about finding his web site? Well that's all I found also. I had asked how you guys bought from him but no one answered that? So Now I know.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:31:18 AM »
Happy- how did you buy from him?
Alfonso

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:07 PM »
Happy- how did you buy from him?
I didn't! when I found his site all that was for sale was the Koi Clay? But a lot of the folks here have. I guess he used to have a web store????
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"