Author Topic: I thought ducks were herbivores!  (Read 1174 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
I thought ducks were herbivores!
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
Until this pair showed up yesterday. Every year we get a pair of mallards come swim around our pond in the early spring. They disappear about this time to nest. They have aways been very well behaved and haven't done any damage. Well these two have ripped up the lily pads and I caught them diving to get fish and eating them as well, not just the occasional one either, but constantly diving down and coming back up with a fish.
I got a few photos before Jack, our cat, scared them off. I don't mind the wildlife getting a few fish here and there but these two are not welcomed back. They are just too greedy!

I know these aren't mallards but don't have time to research just now so please ID these bandits for me. Ginger has just alerted that there's a heron at the pond now so must go chase it away too. No more fish today!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I thought ducks were herbivores!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
Hi Maryvonne - Looks like you have a Hooded Merganser pair. The male with its crest lowered. My book says that they are uncommon; in wooded lakes and streams. They are fish eating diving ducks with a long thin bill serrated on the sides. Not something you want to stay around your pond :o Better keep Jack handy!
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
What great pix, and cute ducks. Yes unfortionitly there are many ducks that eat fish. o( 8-)~I am only about 3/4 of a mile from the river so I just hope that's enough to keep the fish eaters away.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
Thanks Joann,
These photos were taken early this morning but yesterday when they were here the male had his crest up. They are beautiful but at the rate they eat fish we won't have any left so we will discourage these guys from coming around. I can't see any fish in either of the ponds right now, but they are probably very scared and hiding. We will let Jack and Ginger chase them away.
Debbie I hope they stay away from you ponds too.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
Well that would be a beautiful site on the pond.  o(:-) We have mergansers here too but so far none have visited our yard.  The last couple of years we have had a pair of mallards spending time on our pond.  I eventually had to criss-cross the pond with flagging tape to discourage them; we have many wild cats coming through our yard and any duckling wouldn't have had much of a chance.  I'm hoping the mallards will be a little wiser this year and head down to the river where they belong.  Hope your visitors move along quickly.  emm

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
Maryvonne:

Beautiful photos.  I hope you didn't name the fish!  My nemisis  for fish is King Fishers.  The Herons just seem to weed out any fish over 5"  sso they keep the fish load in check!!!

Good luck, I would think Ginger would scare them away.

Gary

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
So they are so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!  But not welcome here. I love my fishies too much!

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »
After yesterday I spent a good part of the day watching over the ponds but no one came to visit. Ginger is actually quite a whimp. She barks like crazy from the safety of the sidewalk and only investigates after I have chased the critters away. Jack will slink over to the pond in the hopes of catching the birds and is quite annoyed when they fly off. It's really funny when he's stalking a heron, especially the tame one that lets us get within a few feet. Poor Jack doesn't know what to make of that. It's a bit like watching  Sylvester trying to catch Tweety Bird.
I love the fact that our ponds attract the wild life and don't mind loosing a few fish, just not all in one day, so the Hooded Merganser will not be allowed to stay very long. They are very stunning especially with their crests up. It was fun watching them dive too. They are very fast swimmers.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
Maryvonne...  Didn't see that you had visitors, also!!!!  Those are some very pretty birds...

Dave

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"