Author Topic: help i have a leek.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline stacig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
help i have a leek.
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »
my preform has a bad leak.is there anywat to help find it short of emapting it taking it out the ground and filling it back up?do see where the leak is.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: help i have a leek.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
Milk test or wait until the water stops leaking out then look around the area for a crack.
Good luck with fixing a preform.. mine just kept cracking.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
how and waht is milk test

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »
Staci the milk test is when you let the pond go down as much as it will...then refill it a bit....take a glass of milk and pour around the edges....when you come up on the spot where its leaking you will be able to see the milk gravitating to the hole....but, once a preform starts leaking...it will just get worse...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
You can line it with a lighter liner. I think the bigger hardware stores carry it, but they are right. Once they start leaking its all over.

Offline Warren

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
How fast is your water going down?

If there is no sign of a leak outside the pond (wet spot of dirt), it could just be evaporation. If it's very hot and windy, evaporation can be quite high. You can test this out by filling a large container (or even not so large) and placing it in your pond so that the water level on your pond and in the container are the same level. If the level drops the same amount for the container and pond, then you know your water loss is just due to evaporation.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
could also be a leak or somewhere in the falls...if you are running the falls...turn them off for a day...see it that stops the water loss...always check the falls first...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
My original first pond was/is a preform.  It started doing that, and there was a crack on the shelf where it would start to go downward.  Called around and bought this sticky type line patch tape this was 3 years ago, and so far so good.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »
well i took it out and there is no visiable  cracks.as much whater that was coming out i would have thought there would be a huge whole.i getting very frustrated

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »
Are there plant shelfs to your preform?  That's where I found mine, it was a hair line crack.  We had to take ours out that time, and we cleaned in on both sides.  Filled it while it was out of the ground and saw the water going down the outside.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:46:58 PM »
i have a new question i have a upper pond and lower .there is a viscilbe crack in the upper pond.shouldt that affect the upper ponds water level because it styay fine!!could that be the prob

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:54:31 PM »
Yup, that's your problem right there. The pond is leaking water through the crack in the upper pond. That will not affect the upper ponds water level, it will effect the lower ponds water level.
The pump is pumping water from the lower pond to the upper pond. If you turn off the pump, it will be the upper pond that shows the leakage.

Bummer! Good luck.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »
well thanks i wish i hadnt taken it out and all the other stuff.but i now no what the problem is

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"