Author Topic: Bio Filter  (Read 2552 times)

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bio Filter
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
Hi!

I want to replace my filter this year. I need an external bio filter for a pond 2000 gal. I am looking at the Tetra ClearChoice Pressurized 2500. Does anybody use this one?? Do you like it?  Any advice is welcome! I do have several goldies! o( o(  No koi. I am not sold on the back wash really cleaning the filter. I have salamanders in the spring and they seem to get in my pump and can clog up the filter sprayer. I have thought about making a filter but I really dont want to. Soooo what filters do you recommend! I have no bottom drain.

Thanks!
Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bio Filter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »
In my opinion, DIY filters are the way to go for both mechanical and biological filters.

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Bonnie,

Thanks for the reply. I do agree. BUUUT.... I am just to busy with being a taxi driver for both kids and working. I want to just hook the hoses to it and say great now what game do go to!! I have a high school soccer and tennis gal and a younger football and wrestling boy to run. My poor pond doesnt see me much anymore. I wouldnt change things though. One day those fish will be all thats here!!!! :'(

Thanks!
Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline GarryT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
I can sympathize with your lack of time for DIY projects. Other priorities abound it seems. I haven't used the particular filter that you mentioned but tried a pressurized "3500 gallon"  UV pressurized filter manufactured by JEBO off of EBay. They all look pretty much alike but the so called "ratings" between different pressure filters seem to vary widely. All I know is that there is a lot of filter area in this BIG canister. The specs say it's rated at 1200 gal/hr, I am running around 800 gal/hr. It too is the non self cleaning variety which admittably takes some work and time but in my case didn't require cleaning too frequently (once every 3 weeks) and has a "cleaning" indicator. At 800 gal/hr I didn't notice any significant change in flow with the filter in line with my bio filter.

I've been very satisfied with the performance and it cleaned up a murky pond to crystal clear in less than a week. I've only used it for 1/2 a season so can't comment on long term reliability. My 2 cents worth of advice.

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
My ponds are small and I run them on store bought pressure filters with UV.  My DH and I were clueless when we installed the first pond and just didn't know where to track all the different parts etc...  I love my filters.  They are stored in a deck box with all my supplies and are easy to clean.  MFR suggests back washing every couple of weeks and thorough cleaning once a month.  My filters are spec'd for larger ponds, and I only back wash once a month and clean every 2 months in hot weather and once during the winter.  Hope that helps.
kamala

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »
Beware of Jebo filters. I just gave one away because I looked everywhere and couldn't find a replacement gasket for it. I like the pressurized filters with backflush but get one that you can easily find replacement parts for. I went with Cyprio.
Kay

Offline tenuki

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »
I have this filter, the 4000 one.  Not too impressed - have to dismantle it twice a wwk and clean the sponges.  Backwash is kinda useless imho.  I also have a pondmaster PUV 4000.  Much easier to clean but has no sponges.  If my water ever clears, the pond master only requires cleaning every 3 or 4 weeks.A few years ago I had a cyprio pressurized filter -never had water problem.  Gave it to my dil and her water NEVER is green or cloudy,

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:20 AM »
I now have Cyprio products with UV on both ponds and my water is very clear. In fact Webbs Gardens has a good deal on Ecoclear that includes a Titan pump, 5% off and free shipping. I'm very happy with the filter, pump and the company. My ponds are 1000 gallon but perhaps they have something similar that would work for your larger pond?
http://www.webbsonline.com/catalog/filters/index.html?gclid=CInIjdOTzZMCFQ7Wsgods2ppjg
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:34:25 AM by Kay »

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »
In regards to the JEBO filters I had the same concern for the availability of replacement parts as the large cover "O" ring integrity is critical to leak free operation of any pressure filter. I managed to catch a larger pebble of sand in the gasket the first time I cleaned it & was absolutely amazed at the mini guyser of water that leaked out. Fortunately the "O" ring was not damaged but I did go ahead and contacted the vendor on eBay who had replacement gaskets. Less than $10 for 2 of them! I often found that replacement parts with the exception of the UV bulbs are often not listed on eBay unless you go to the vendor's internet store.

We've had a really cool spring, much below normal temps here with a ton of rain a week ago that flooded the pond and surrounding garden area twice in one week. What a mess but fortunately no lost fish just lots of murky water, floating debris and bulging liner. After the flood waters receeded and I did a major debris removal session the filter had the water crystal clear within days! Love that filter!

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
I tried to find the gasket from my vendor on ebay without luck. I had just bought 2 UV bulbs for it just prior to the leak. The guy I gave it to thinks he can fashion a gasket for it..good luck with that LOL

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
I purchased my pressure filter from a company called Outdoor Aqua (allpondpumps). Excellent service! They also carry seals for the Cyprio UV pressure filters.

Offline Birdman

• Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
Do you have time to cut three holes in a barrel and plumb it up?  I sell DIY Filter kits that make life easy for DIY-ers with no time.
www.highdesertkoi.com
Steve Joneli
High desert Koi Ponds
541-408-3317
www.highdesertkoi.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"