Author Topic: Update on my dad.  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Update on my dad.
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
I don't remember where we were in telling about my dad's progress the last time so I may repeat myself. Just in case you didn't catch the post where I told what happened, my 85 year old father was trying to get a pickup to stop rolling backwards by pushing on the brake with his hand. As the open door began to push against him, he fell backwards and the front driver's side wheel rolled up on his right leg, across his body, ribcage/chest, shoulder, neck, and across the side of his head causing multiple broken bones, cuts and abrasions, as it went. That occurred on August 22. He spent a little over two weeks in the hospital experiencing several surgical procedures. He now is in a rehab/critical care hospital. He no longer has any staples, stitches, or bandages. He is well enough to be walking between parallel bars during physical therapy every day, using a real toilet, sitting up for several hours in the wheelchair, and has a doodad on the trach tube that allows him to talk. It is especially hard for him because they had to wire his mouth shut because his lower jaw is broken in two places. So the trach gives them access if he needed help to breathe. He has a stomach tube that is feeding him. Everyone is so amazed at his progress. I know that the days ahead are still going to be difficult.

I think I shocked him today. I took Smokey, my miniature silver poodle up to visit him. We were aprehensive about how Smokey would behave but he did very well. There was a lady who asked if we would come to visit her sister in the room next to my dad. The young lady has maybe muscular distrophy and is in a pretty bad way. But she loved to see and pet the dog. He licked her fingers when she tried to pet him.

Thanks to all of you who expressed concern and are praying for him. He was amazed to receive a handmade get well card from Krista in Canada. What a sweet heart.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my dad.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:08:14 PM »
I had been wondering about your Dad.  Glad to hear of the improvement.  I'm sure at his age that it will take time.  So sweet of Krista, she must be a dandy.
Karen

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »
Glad to hear that he's recovering reasonably well.  I know how hard this has been for you and for him.  I'm glad that Smokey was able to help someone. . . . think Casey would love that too.  Hold your father near and dear while you can.  Best wishes to you and to him.

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »
so glad you received it :)  and happy to hear he's progressing :)
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »
Glad to hear that he is doing pretty well.  Still praying for you and your family. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:13 AM »
Great news Esther O0... what a sweetie you are Krista (8:-)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 05:20:17 AM »
Great News! O0

I know Pet Therapy works! (8:-)
Cuz I have 7 now, and couldn't have endured the past 5+ months without them. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 05:25:20 AM »
OMG Esther, I never seen that post about your dad  :'(.  That is horrible, but I'm glad he is doing better and wishing him a speedy recovery.  Sending you and your dad my prayers.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 05:40:49 AM »
Good Grief!

What a melange of inuries to sustain at 85!  I sincerely hope all goes well with his recovery.  I am curious, how did he get into a position of putting his hand on the brake pedal?

Just for fun, buy your dad a stuffed toy that looks like your pooch for him to "pet" when you are not visiting.  You'll be surprised at his reaction.

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 06:44:49 AM »
Hi Esther,
This is the first time I have read about your Father. I am so sorry to hear of his accident, but am glad that he is on the mend :) I agree that taking your little pet to see him is possibly the greatest healer in the world.
I will keep him in my prayers. My Father has been in a nursing home for the last year, I see him everyday and take all those days and the ones ahead as gifts.
Patricia

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »
Thanks guys for the good words, concerns and prayers.

Johns, you're right, I skipped that part. He had stopped the camp pickup truck on the grounds at the Bible camp where he has volunteered almost full time every summer for about 10 years. He evidently had driven from an area where they were falling trees to clear some land, to get a chain saw. When he got out of the truck, he must not have put it in park and it began to roll backwards towards a garage. He tried to get in and couldn't so reached down to press on the brake with his hand hoping to stop it. As the door came backwards it pushed him off his feet and then the front tire rolled on his pant leg, trapping him in position so he couldn't roll away. I haven't seen the truck or garage but I understand that the damage was minimal. He feels so stupid.

Because he works about full time in Florida on the grounds at the retirement village where he lives in the winter, + works just as hard at the camp in the summer. He is in excellent shape. He also has never smoked, or drank and is careful how he eats. He takes a lot of vitamins and supplement type stuff too. One doctor said he had the body of a 60 year old. Wish I could say that and I am in my 60s. LOL

He is experiencing some confusion at times but the doctor said that is to be expected with all the stress, anesthesia, pain meds, etc., and that it would probably pass as he improves. With help from family and friends, I am making up crossword puzzles for him of information from his life to get him to think and give him something to do while he sits there.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:01 PM »
Glad your father is improving Esther. He has come a long way. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"