Author Topic: I have an interview (I'm back) updated again  (Read 6937 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I have an interview (I'm back) updated again
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
next tuesday at the credit union.  Wow, it would be set hours, holidays off.  Every other Saturday off, and that's only till 12:30 PM.    They asked me on the phone if 20 to 25 hours would work, I said that's perfect.  There talking about hours like 12:30 to 5 pm or 10:30 to 3 pm.  Yippeeeee.  I sure hope I get it.  Set hours, no more living out of a calendar. 

No more wacky hours at Walmart, more time at home. Cross your fingers.  You know the old saying its always easier to get a job when you have a job.  I didn't have a job history to put down, guess Walmart gave me that.

I like what I do at Walmart, but I've never had a weekend off since I started there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:55:46 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: I have an interview
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:18:15 PM »
Good Luck Kim!  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
That sounds great!!! Good luck!! 

Offline Oceanbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Sounds like my job, Kim!! I work at a bank. I work 8:30 to 2:00 every day and 8:15 to 12:15 about every other Sat. Until recently when I have had to work 3 Saturdays in a row. It gets that way during the vacation season!!! But it still isn't too bad.

Good luck!!!! Go in there and knock their socks off!!!

Becky

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
I'm happy for you Kim and I wish you LUCK!!!! Now go gettem...

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
Good luck Kim. Hope it works out for you.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »
Good luck from me also, Kim. I can't wait until my kindergartener boy gets into 1st grade so I can get a job. Earning some money would be great, but actually talking/interacting with real adults would be priceless.  :D
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:32:14 PM »
Good luck Kim! Those sound like great hours!

And I'm with Karen, I'm counting the months until the twins are in grade one.. kindergarten is actually less hours a day than pre-school here :( I\m really looking forward to both the money and the adult communication.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »
Crossing fingers for you down here too Kim, I know you're going to wow them and they will be very lucky to have you.

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:50:01 AM »
Good luck with your interview Kim.  Your bingo hours and Walmart experience should stand you in good stead.  You've certainly demonstrated your willingness for hard work.  Sure hope they recognize your worth!

The following doesn't relate to your interview Kim but it made me think of the resumes I read yesterday.  I was dismayed that almost all of the cover letters emphasised what the job could do for the applicant's future, skills building or education not what they could bring to the job.  I've noticed this when interviewing applicants as well.  These people are students and just starting out but this self absorption is hard to overlook.  I am glad that whatever skills they pick up while working with me will help them in the future but it is NOT why I am hiring them.  I need them to do a job.  That said, just about every student I have hired has done a great job; it's the presentation that's rubs me the wrong way.  A bit of a rant.  Sorry.

Again, good luck with your interview on Tuesday.
emm

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »
Awesome news, I hope it goes well for you!!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »
Good Luck Kim!  Like everyone else said, you're a great catch and they'd be fortunate to have you on their team.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
Thanks for all the warm wishes.

If I knew I had it wrapped up, I would go ahead and quit Walmart.  Last night, they were so short handed that they asked everyone to come and unload the truck.  The only ones that were exempt was lawn and garden.  (???) oh and they said all but 1 from electronics.  I was the only one in Jewelry, and I didn't go.  I kept waiting for them to page me back there but they didn't. 

This store is so short handed, and they won't hire anyone.  Its really sad/bad.  So many keep quitting.  Since the new store opened 8 miles away, they said its impacted our store.  I say its, we don't have enough people.  Customers can't get any help.  Two registers open and the lines are long. 

Kim
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:26:06 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
Two registers open and the lines are long.
Long lines at the register is a pet peeve of mine.  I just don't understand why they allow long lines at registers.  If they are so anxious to get our money then why don't they have more registers open?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »
Cause they don't want to pay Mike.
Good luck Kim.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
Good Luck Kim ! I hope you get the job.... O0

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »
Two registers open and the lines are long.
Long lines at the register is a pet peeve of mine.  I just don't understand why they allow long lines at registers.  If they are so anxious to get our money then why don't they have more registers open?

Bingo. That's my biggest peeve with big box stores. Even Costco does not have enough cashier's open to deal with paying customers. Why?! They have a little TV at the register showing how many thousands they have raised towards local charities, but can not staff the registers competently? Big profit alert there.  ::) And here. the mayor of Chicago wont even let WalMart into the city for fear that they would provide lower income taxpayers the ability to buy goods at reasonable prices?!

Kim, I sincerely hope you get this job. It's not like I'm against the Evil Empire (WalMart), but if a better opportunity comes along then good luck to you!

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 11:33:20 AM »
Kim, Good Luck on your interview. Will say a prayer for you . Hope yo get the job. @O@
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
Good luck as well Kim, hope you get the job!!

Greg

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
The time is drawing closer.  I called and took off of my Bingo job tonight.  I didn't want to work until 4 am, then stay up get the kids off to school and then get a shower and go there.  My eyes would have looked like I had been out all night, don't want to give that impression.

I sure hope all goes well.  I feel confident, but still have a little bit of the jitters.

Kim

:angel:

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
Good luck Kim. You have a lot of things going for you that have little to do with anything the banking people can give you training for. You are mature, willing, hard worker, responsible, good with people, and used to coordinating things.
People used to say I must be pretty good with math to be in banking. I'd laugh and say all I needed to know was to count to 10. They train you for everything you need to know, which buttons to push, where to stand, what to say, and when to be there. I think the most important thing a banker must have is a good personality, to be friendly, talk easily, and have the heart of a servant. I don't know you very well but I think you are a winner. They will be lucky if they chose you. Don't forget, in your interview, be sure to impress them with what you can bring to them to enhance the service at that location.

I'd say to dress pretty officish, you know, suit type maybe and white blouse, mid heels or even flats. I suspect their dress is a lot more work casual but for the interview, it can't hurt. I once lost a job to an airhead who came dressed in a navy suit and white blouse. I worked at that branch so never thought to dress UP. Later when they learned the gal's getup had nothing to do with her capabilities, they were pretty sorry for making the choice. I spent the next year and a half trying to teach her what she was supposed to be doing. Eventually I stepped over that level and went on to the one above her so didn't have to cope with her any longer.

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 04:10:35 AM »
Good luck today, Kim!! I know you'll do GREAT!!  @O@

Let us know how it goes!!!
Becky

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 06:09:42 AM »
phooey, I was just checking to see if Kim said what time the interview was. Nope. Waiting to hear how it went.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 06:39:33 AM »
Its at 10:30.  Sitting here watching the clock getting ready to leave.  I'm all dressed and ready.  I also have my fingers, legs, toes and everything else crossed.

I went out last night and bought a whole new outfit to wear today.  My feet must have been swelled, because today my shoes feel to big Ooops.  I bought everything new, skirt, blouse, bra, panties, panty hose, purse....I bought it all.

Kim

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:20 AM »
Good luck...and get going!  O0

PS: Red panties bring you good luck....works for me!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
Good luck Kim!  Hope to hear good news after the interview!  O0
Joey

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
Well I'm home.  I feel like the interview went well. 

The normal questions, If you were hired, how would we benefit from you working here?
If you had and irate customer how would you handle it.  I told them with volunteering at Bingo, I've dealt with a many irate customers, (don't know if that's what I would really call them but) lol  They asked about me giving a 2 weeks notice, I told them that it is just common courtesy, and they agreed.  I guess they were testing the water to see if I would just quit them at a moments notice.

They were really friendly, and also spoke of my parents.  They dearly love my dad, most people do.  They said I should hear something in the next 2 or 3 days.  They asked me about attendance and I told them that I've almost been at walmart 5 months and have I've only taken off 1 time, and I was very sick then.  I also let them know I just didn't leave them hanging, that I had walked in the store and asked if they could cover me for the next day with a doctors note in my hand, that I just didn't call in.  Thought that sounded good.

I would start out making 8.00 an hour, I'm making 7.80 at Walmart, started out there at 7.10 and have gotten two raises .  I make 8.80 on a Sunday at Walmart.   One was for my first 90 days, my trial period.  Then with the minimum wage going up. I won't get another until I've been there a year and it will be 10 cents.

Although, I want so bad to call into Walmart tonight.  I'm so tired.  Just afraid if I called and took off tonight, they would call and they would say that I had missed recently blah blah blah. 

Kim
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:50:17 AM by Ky Kim »

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: I have an interview (I'm back)
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
Sounds like it went GREAT, Kim.  @O@ And I think it will help that they know your Dad and LIKE him!!!  O0

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!!! Hope to hear some good news!!!  :)
Becky

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
I hope you get the job too, Kim.  Sounds like things went well for you!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
Sounds like the interview went well and I hope you get the job!
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"