Author Topic: salt  (Read 1543 times)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
salt
« on: April 18, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
hi everyone been awhile since i logged on...what kinds of salt can go into the pond water?? and are therre specific chemicals that i should put in now to boost it??? :)
lorraine

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: salt
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:50:35 AM »
??? why do you want to salt the pond???  remember not good for floaters like hyacinths.  IMO salt is not necessary in the water, if it is for a sick fish IMO it's better to remove the fish and treat and release.  But if you really want it and feel it's necessary I've heard people use plain rock salt but the 99-100% pure rock salt for 0.1% a pound per 100gals
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »
I used salt once and all my floaters went to mush. So never again and it's been maybe 6 years.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Why do you want to salt?
What are you trying to boost?

We use Solar Salt, its the stuff that they sell at Home Depot for water softeners... very cheap. THe impurities are insignificant, but I don't get the stuff that has additives.
But I have to add my vote that salting a pond is a bad idea unless there is something specific you are curing. You DONT want to develop salt resistant diseases.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
I gotta say I'm with the others....using it in the pond at all times is not a good thing...and using it to shotgun treat for parasites also isn't a good thing....I'm not even sure if it really kills anything other than ick...so as I've heard it said before---Use the salt on your french fries and leave it out of the pond....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »
Oh no not again.... Run away run away :-\ been here done this got the t-shirt.......
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »
Step away from the topic.... step away from the topic...  {-)

Just kidding.  :D

We need some levity from time to time.

Hey El Jefe... {:-P;;

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »
 ;D Seriously yes we do !! LOL
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
Lorraine,

About a week ago, there was another thread about salt.  It had a funny name, like "Question???" ... see if you can find it.  Good info in there.

A year ago, I enlarged my pond, changed over to a bog filter, and followed our local pond store's recommendations for salt, being 1lb per 100 gallons.  Shortly after that, virtually all of my plants died, and the bog filter never worked well, either.  I blamed it all on the bog filter, as that was the only difference I could think of between the original pond and the expanded pond.

After reading the salt thread a week or so ago, I am convinced that my problems were most likely caused by too much salt.  So, even though I again enlarged my pond this past March, yesterday, I drained the whole 1000 gallons and got rid of ALL the "salty" water, replacing it with clean, fresh, un-salted water.

It's only been 12 hours, but I am anxiously awaiting the results... I am betting my plants come back, and my fish will thrive.

Oh, also, I spent Saturday at the pond store's Garden Party, with vendors and seminars.  I asked both the plant guy and then the koi expert about salt.  It seems salt is NOT really recommended, except as a TREATMENT for problems.  If there is no problem, don't use salt.  Also, if you have plants, salt is damaging to many, many varieties of plants.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
The thread was called "Why...." and I was asking out of curiosity as I had seen Salt threads on other sites, I was unsure why anyone would want to do it. Here is the thread, lots of good info and links.... http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=5365.0

Andy

Offline models916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:53:37 AM »
This is Doc Johnson's line on salt. I (meaning me models916) use it in the spring only. Before I add any surface plants.

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articles_results.php?article_id=41&category=13&search_term=salt

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »
I have always been tought that if you have a Koi pond and no plants it's ok, but if you need to treat a fish do it with a dip in a tub or bucket!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »
THANKS GUYS I WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN !!!!! LORI
lorraine

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"