Author Topic: Update on missing fish - culprit found  (Read 1687 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Update on missing fish - culprit found
« on: April 19, 2008, 06:35:53 PM »
This has a strange ending. It was a mink that got my fish. I was talking to a neighbor who lives a few doors down on the lake and I mentioned that my fish disappeared this past winter. OMG sez he, I found a mink under the hood of my boat engine and he had been storing fish and there were a few big gold fish. It seems that the mink somehow got stuck on the engine and froze to death. Poetic justice. It seems that the mink lived in  the wall in front of his house.

I spoke to a biologist and he told me that mink will take all the fish in a pond and store them for the winter, so i assume he/she got into the pond before it froze. I still feel very bad. But, I am looking for a few more to liven up the ponds.

lou

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Re: Update on missing fish - culprit found
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:42:57 PM »
Well Louis, it's good to know what happened to your poor fish. Also good to hear that mink won't be a problem any more. Hope the new fish enjoy a long and happy life in your ponds.

Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
Well Louis, it's good to know what happened to your poor fish. Also good to hear that mink won't be a problem any more. Hope the new fish enjoy a long and happy life in your ponds.

thanks mary :)

lou

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »
Louis, I had a mink get 2 of my oldest gold fish last summer. I just happened to catch him in the act. He will not be getting any more as he went to great mink land up in the sky. Glad you found your culprit. Thanks for letting us know.  :)

McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
Louis, I had a mink get 2 of my oldest gold fish last summer. I just happened to catch him in the act. He will not be getting any more as he went to great mink land up in the sky. Glad you found your culprit. Thanks for letting us know.  :)

good for you, its a constant battle

lou

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
I'm glad you are getting more fish!  o(:-) o(

Now you just gotta build that wire mesh cover before winter starts!  (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »
Nice to hear the end of the story, but sorry the mink got his----so to speak, he was just surviving.
but then again, sorry to hear that he was surviving on your fish.
Somehing to ponder is that he IS nature, and we alter it to suit our wants. Just something to think about.

Hope you have a great summer Louis.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »
Update on missing fish - culprit found

...and GONE....FOREVER!!!    @O@ 

Interesting outcome.  So your neighbor has a new fur ear muff  :D  Now there's no excuse for not re-stocking your pond  O0 

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »
Glad the mystery is solved, sorry you lost all of your fish . . .  >:(- :blowup: :swear:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »
Nice to hear the end of the story, but sorry the mink got his----so to speak, he was just surviving.
Somehing to ponder is that he IS nature, and we alter it to suit our wants. Just something to think about.

Steve

Well said! 

That's a sad story all around Louis, at least you know what happened.  Enjoy your fish shopping.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »

Steve

Well said! 

That's a sad story all around Louis, at least you know what happened.  Enjoy your fish shopping.

thanks everyone,
with the price of fish, i will propbably end up in the poor house. but i need to get some life into the pond again.

lou

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 07:18:35 AM »
Yes I have heard of minks before. Several ponders in our area have had them. Yes it is sad the mink was just doing what comes natural, but it was your pets he was doing it to. It is a same you lost your fish and he lost his life. I cover my ponds in the winter. Only 1 /3  of the pond is left exposed so my fish have a good hiding place.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »
I am glad for you that there is an ending to your story and you have answers.  It doesn't ease the pain of losing your fish but finally the mystery is solved.

We live on a farm where two creeks converge,, and because of this we cannot seem to keep chickens, turkeys, etc.  DH has built the most secure shelters for poultry I've ever seen, but mink will slither in through the smallest hole and kill every one of our chickens.  They don't eat them, but slit their throats   :P and leave them for us to find.  DH saw the mink when he found the chickens, but of course didn't have his trusty firearm with him at the time... :o  So we don't try to raise chickens anymore.

Have fun shopping for new pets this spring!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline justme

• Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 10:32:55 PM »

thanks everyone,
with the price of fish, i will propbably end up in the poor house. but i need to get some life into the pond again.

lou

Louis I sure wish you lived near me you have all the fish you could ever want. I have way to many pretty goldfish and Butterfly Koi. even have some wakin sarrassa crosses. gary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"