Author Topic: Tropicals  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tropicals
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:09:12 PM »
Our tropical garden has been putting on quite a show for me this summer.  Below are photos of a ginger and something called Fire Spike that presently are flowering.  I was buzzed by a hummingbird while taking these photos.....

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tropicals
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:47:09 PM »
Oh My!  I just HATE them both and wouldn't allow them to grow in my yard under any circumstances.

(NOT!!!  Just had to say that since I'm sick and tired of saying nice things to other people.)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:19:29 PM »
LOL Teresa! :D

I love the fire spike! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:08 PM »
Oooh - you have to be careful of those hummingbirds. Eons ago - but still a painfully fresh memory, I was attacked. Must have been the gaudy / colourful image I presented. Cocktail, pack of smokes, phone, kimono, artichoke pizza - the usual Saturday lunch thing. This nasty little winged viper thing made a dash for my eye. Overturning the chair, and landing back inside the house was the work of seconds. ( I am very agile when faced with imminent danger ).

I have now come to appreciate them a little more, but am still very wary when they are about. They really just look like they can take an eye out. Dove grey is now my colour of choice for phones etc when on the patio. They do not seem as interested.

Good luck Mikey!

Cheers,

Mike 

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:59:40 AM »
Love your firespike! What are those variegated leaves poking up beside it? Canna stuttgart?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »
Yes, that's Stuttgart.  They are much taller than I expected.  The top of Stuttgart's flowers are at least 12-13' tall. 

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »
Very nice, Mickey. I would love to add gingers to my collection but I can't have any more plants that need to be brought in for the winter. I have too many now and it takes forever to gather them all up. I think I need to move to a warmer climate, not that ours is so cold, just not quite warm enough to leave tropicals out.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:57:19 PM »
My neighbor has a fire spike. Well he actually has two now. A new one came up last year. The hummers love them. They will actually land on the fence and let me talk to them. :D

MikeW, are you saying that you got your butt whooped by a little hummingbird? lol

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:20:02 PM »
When I was reading up on Fire Spikes, I saw repeatedly how easy they are to root from cuttings . . . anyone ever tried it? 

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
The plant in the photo came from a another plant in the back yard but I don't recall if if it came from a division or a cutting. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
Those flowers and especially the spike are lovely....however, I'm still laughing about
Mike W's fiasco with a hummer  lol  Geez, and to think you could have prevented the ENTIRE thing and complimented your ensemble with a great looking pair of sunglasses!!  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »
Must have been the gaudy / colourful image I presented. Cocktail, pack of smokes, phone, kimono, artichoke pizza -

Just about fell off my chair laughing!  lol

We don't have the climate for tropicals...but I certainly wish we did!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"