Author Topic: koi to large for pond  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Pam B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
koi to large for pond
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:01:01 AM »
 o( I have a beautiful white and black Fancy Koi. It's approximately 20" long and has the most gorgeous long fluttering fins I have ever seen. Unfortunately it is getting to large for my 8'x10' pond. It would be devestating to find Spotty a new home but it's an injustice keeping it in our 8'x10' pond. It's approx 4 yrs old. It's our baby but it needs more room to swim and play. Does anyone know how I can go about selling Spotty? Please any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Pam

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: koi to large for pond
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Aren't you going to show us a picture?  I'm a sucker for the longfins!

I hear of people around here using Craigslist to sell pond quality koi.

Offline Pam B

• Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »
 :-\I would love to post some pics. have to figure that one out. I'm not to computer savey. I will try craigslist.
Thanks
Pam

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »
Hi Pam,

See if you have a local koi club. They can be very helpful in placing koi that have out grown there ponds.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »
Getting rid of unwanted koi, esp. large koi, can be really difficult. 

You could also try FreeCycle.com.  They don't let you give away pets, but I think fish might be an exception.  I once offered koi on FreeCycle, and the moderators didn't scold me.  Incidentally, I didn't give any away... In my listing, I said they person had to have a sizeable pond with filtration, etc.  That eliminated many people right off the bat.  Other people who asked for the fish never showed up to get them.  So goes Freecycle, sometimes.

My ex found homes for several large koi by giving them to a snazzy local hotel, for their garden ponds. 

So maybe you need to think outside the box... if an individual doesn't need or want them, perhaps a business, restaurant (many Chinese restaurants have fish ponds), hotel, etc. might be a good place to call.

Just don't turn him loose in a waterway!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Pam, here's a link to a tutorial about posting pictures. If you can't figure it out, give me a hollar. http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1444.0

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »
Pam,
I am in waterford, if you can't find a paying home for your koi you can donate him to us. We lost ours this winter.
Kathy

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
Down here in southern Missouri, if you koi get to big for your pond you can donate them to the Koi Gardens, its a park set up with several large (almost lake size) ponds, where your koi can spend the rest of their lives................
I found this out through a garden shop down here when I was trying to rehome a 18 in koi for my mom.....

Vicky

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"