Author Topic: The baby  (Read 1788 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The baby
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »
This is a little one.... I think a baby to the larger one I have been seeing around the yard

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The baby
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
Possums!
Seal the attic and under the house - maybe they will move on.

(I'm not a possum fan).

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
I think they are so dammmm cute! o(:-)
I like possums because they eat grubs, slugs nad other garden pests.  8)
And they do not get rabies.

Hope Marilyn sees this!  :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »
Joyce I like them too....around here we have wars over opossums...Hubby shoots everyone he sees..Says they carry rabies---I say Heck everything including people can carry rabies  ::)..I try to save them..So if I find them before he does I shoo them off...I have to keep a lid on my koi food or they crawl in to eat and can't get back out.....I sooo would love to have a pet opossum....of course wild animals should NEVER be kept as pets...but, they are kewl....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
Awww, look at that little foot would ya?  They are so passive, I just enjoy having just about any animals around.  Most of the ones that really tick me off, walk around on two legs..... ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
Ok, whoever wants him let me know.  I will try and catch him and ship to you.  I wll pay the shipping too.  I think the mother may be living under the shed in the back yard.  I had thought about sealing it so the neigborhood cats could not get under it.  Looks like I waited to late.  If they woudl just stay little I could like them better.  They get a lot bigger than you think.  I will try and get a pic of the mother some times.  Not near as cute.

Myra

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 04:36:44 AM »
I've gotten possums in the back yard.  One was carrying a tiny one around.  I don't like seeing them but they are attracked to the leftover catfood. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
ewww. cant help it they are not cute in anyway to me . they are like a huge rat... I wish I could send yall mine.. Sure wish they woudl start eatting some grubs which would detour theirs moles/voles that I have digging up my entire yard :)

tinkster

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »
Nice pictures Myra.  We are very excited here about an opossum pair that seems to have overwintered.  We are a little far north for them and the only ones we see have apparently come in on transport trucks.  They generally have stubby ears and tails from frost bite and die in the winter.  We had lots and lots of snow this winter but not many days below -25C so there may well be some others that made it through.  I'm fascinated by them and would love to see babies.  emm

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Like raccoons, opossums can be found in urban environments, where they eat pet food, rotten fruit, and various human garbage. Though many humans mistakenly consider opossums to be rats, opossums in fact are not closely related to rodents at all, rarely transmit diseases to humans, and are surprisingly resistant to rabies, due mainly to their lower body temperatures when compared to most placental mammals.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
LeeAnne151 Are you trying to say you would like me to it the opossums to you ?? ::)

Myra

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
There are plenty of them here and they aren't native here like they are in LA so I don't need you to ship it to me but I thought the fact that they don't carry rabies was of interest.....

Opossums are harmless unlike raccoons and squirrels which can do major damage to yard and garden but opossums are often killed on sight. It is sad.

Marilyn rehabs hundreds of them a year and many are hurt by people or the mother was killed by a person. On purpose. It is disgusting. She gets opossums that have been shot, set on fire, stabbed, clubbed etc. Makes me sick.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 08:25:43 PM »
That is just not right   {nono}

Myra

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"