Author Topic: Ahh, a weekend off from the rescue...  (Read 927 times)

Offline DavB

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ahh, a weekend off from the rescue...
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »
I volunteer at a dog rescue.  This past Saturday I was officially 'off' from the rescue and just stopped by for a minute.  Things quickly degressed from there...

This is copy/pasted from Sadie's Dogster diary:

Yesterday I was doing personal errands.  I stopped by the adoption stand to drop off some paperwork.  Just as I was getting ready to leave, Cindy mentioned she had a pup at Prevent-a-Litter (PAL) and she could use some help picking it up.  Well that figures, I had just come from there!  I had dropped off some Spay and Neuter material borrowed for the AM Davis school fair the weekend before.   Yeah, they said they had a couple of AARF dogs when I was there, but didn't say anything about them being ready to go leave. I didn't say I was going to the AARF stand either...

*Sigh*

Always eager to lend a helping paw, er hand, I went back to PAL to get the pup. The front desk people and I shared a laugh as I came B-A-A-A-C-K just a few minutes after leaving.   I signed out the pup, said:  'Well, twice in one day is enough.  Good bye! ", and walked out the door.  Oh, those fateful words...

The pup was a stolid Pitt/Boxer mix, maybe 30 pounds already.  He had just been neutered and I expected he would be groggy and maybe sick.  Let’s just say, he certainly met those expectations!

The clinic area is in the olde part of town, with buildings crowded next to each other, and limited parking. I ducked into the narrow walkway between PAL and the next business over, to get to my SUV parked in the rear. 

As soon as the pup saw the first bit of open grass, he stopped and had THE WORST POO I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!  And a large one too!  It was an awful, smelly mush that was too solid to come from the small end, yet too liquid to attribute as something belonging from the rear.

To make matters worse, just as this is going on, the neighboring business owner pulls up. He scowls over at me,  and says, "You ARE going to clean that up, right?"  (I really can't blame him.  How many dogs must have gotten sick on his property, being next door to the Spay/Neuter clinic?)

I reply "Sure!", while at the same time thinking it is going to be impossible to pick up this liquid goo.   I decide to park the pup in my SUV before tackling the poo.  On the way to the SUV, he peed a bucketful...

Back I go into PAL looking for cleaning supplies. Armed with plastic bags and a few paper towels, and barely holding back adding the contents of my stomach to the existing mess, I got things cleaned up to the best of my ability. I returned to PAL yet again to wash my hands.  As I left this time, I just rolled my eyes and just said; "See ya soon".

As I am driving back to the adoption stand, I thought, well at least he didn't puke... About then, you guessed it; "RALPH!". The sour smell came forward to where I am driving. I just roll down the windows and drive the remaining several blocks to the stand.

Arriving at the stand, I go to the back of the SUV to observe the large pile of puke in the cargo compartment. At least that was much more solid than what the poo was...

Thinking my ordeal is now over, I walk the pup toward the stand. He is slow walking behind me, and I am thinking; "Aww poor little guy, bad day at the office, huh?" As I get closer, everybody starts yelling at me, "He's pooing, he's pooing! Oh gross"!

I turn around and all I can say is, he has a geyser shooting out his butt! A steady stream of liquid poo, looking something like what I imagine a high pressure leak in a crude oil pipeline must look like. Projectile pooing, it was landing almost a foot away from the spewing end!

My friends shout; "Take him back to the grass, take him back!"

I turn around to head for the last grass island before the sidewalk area. As the dog turns around, he points this steady stream of poo right at me, AND I AM ON A SHORT LEAD!!! I frantically jumped the poo stream.  The AARF people that saw me, said they quite enjoyed the expression on my face as I did that.

Naturally, when I made it back to the grassy area, the pup was all done.

My AARF friends cleaned the sidewalk area with water and bleach, as I went back to my SUV to clean up the barffy mess waiting me there.

And that’s today's poo, pee, and barf story.  I have the bad feeling I will have more to share at another time...

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ahh, a weekend off from the rescue...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:08:32 PM »
That's sooooo grosssssss!!!!!

But, you sure are a good story teller!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »
That poor little guy, hopefully he'll get better and find a home with a family who will love him and take good care of him.  He needs a vet and some genuine TLC  :'(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »
Oh the joys of doing rescue work.  And just think.....we VOLUNTEER to do this!  And love almost every minute of it!! 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"