Author Topic: great plant find at walmart today...  (Read 2209 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
great plant find at walmart today...
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
I was in Walmart today to pick up some potting soil and some large pots to repot some of my palm trees and other plants. 

One of the garden center gals was throwing all kinds of plants in a cart.  I asked her what they were doing with them and she said throwing out.  (They were wilting and drying up.)  I asked her if I could have them or how much they wanted for them.  She checked and came back and said $10 for the whole cart.  I thought cool! 

Our best friends were in there at the same time and were looking for plants for their yard too, so I told them I'll split them with you if you like.  So we each paid $5.

We got 7 hydrangea's (Merrits Supreme), one Begonia (Dragon Wing), one rose bush (can't remember the name - but a red one, like friends were buying already), 4 hanging baskets (assorted), 2 Ipomea (Sweet Caroline) and a few others. 

We took them to friends house and split them up.  I brought mine home and transplanted all except the hanging plants.

I think I got a good deal, but really shouldn't be buying plants right now as we are going to be moving by months end and more to drag.  But, I just can't help myself when it comes to plants, and I thought it was a great deal!

What do you all think?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: great plant find at walmart today...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
Hard to resist bargains like that ... you did good  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
woohooo.. I love those bargins to..  I ended up a truck load that time a lowes from the trash bins but ofr some reason they wont let me do that this year. :(

tinkster

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
Thanks Kat!

Tinkster (Joy),

I thought of you right away when I got such a good deal!  To bad Lowe's won't let you get any this year, wonder what's up with that?

Take care!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »
Here are pic's of the plants I got yesterday.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
And the last one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »
I recognize many of the plants.  You really got a steal!  Just one pot of hydrangea is worth the price you paid!   @O@  WOW!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 06:09:43 PM »
Hard to pass up a deal...and besides, potted plants will move with you  O0
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »
Thanks Annette and Mikey,

Yeah I think I did good!  After I repoted all of them (but the two hanging), watered and cut off the dead stuff, I think they look pretty good.  I figure for what I got it probably was worth at least $40 if not more. 

Your right Mikey, that's what I told myself, I can take plants with me when I move.  I think plants make a place feel like home.

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »
Our Wal-Mart here would rather send it through the shredder then discount it  >:(- :'(

Believe me I've tried,............. They just don't care! :'(

A neighbor of mine works at this Wal-Mart (branson west, Mo) and hes seen them cut blankets and clothing that didn't sell into unuseable pieces, then throw them into locked dumpsters!!!!

Offline Lisa816

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:48:36 AM »
Our Wal-Mart here would rather send it through the shredder then discount it  >:(- :'(

Believe me I've tried,............. They just don't care! :'(

A neighbor of mine works at this Wal-Mart (branson west, Mo) and hes seen them cut blankets and clothing that didn't sell into unuseable pieces, then throw them into locked dumpsters!!!!

Wal-Mart is like that.  Something about they can't get their money back for items that didn't sell if they discount them.  They don't have to send them back, but they destroy them.  I worked at Wal-Mart in the craft dept. for a while and the manager of crafts almost got fired because she put the discontinued sewing patterns in a cart and sold them for .25 each.  After that, they made her take the tissue part of the patterns out of the paper envelope, put the tissue parts in a cart and wet them down with a hose so that they couldn't be used.  They said they could get their money back from the company, but not if they marked them down and sold them.  I think thats terrible.  They should at least be able to give useful things to the needy instead of distroying them.  What a waste!
Lisa 
Zone 8b

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:19 AM »
I don't think of it so much as a waste, tho donating it to the needy would be great, I look at it as big corp greed.................

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:48 AM »
The yellow flower in the hanging pot is Melampodium. you must save the seeds from these and plant them in your flower garden next year.  They are not botherd  by any insects and bloom from July till frost!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »
Thanks Johns,

And that yellow one is doing great!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"