Author Topic: New raised wooden pond- updated photos  (Read 3189 times)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New raised wooden pond- updated photos
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:02 AM »
Well, I built my first raised wooden pond this weekend (Kat's ponds being my inspiration  o(:-) )  It is made of 4x4s and is 5'x10'x21".  I think it turned out pretty well all in all- I am thrilled with it anyway.  It isn't perfectly level, in spite of my gallant efforts to level it first, but it isn't too far off- about 1" different at one end than the other- it will serve its purpose well, even at an angle  :P  I "leveled" the ground on Thursday evening, began sawing, stacking, and bolting on Friday evening, and finished up on Saturday afternoon.  Took a total of about 7 hours, just doing it by myself.  (borrowing my Dad's power tools really shaved off time and effort!)

Okay, here is the deal with the liner....  It is (obviously) a swimming pool liner... I got it at Wal-Mart on clearance.  It is pretty thick and was marked down from $42.88 to $17.00.   It is for a pool 3'x12' round.  The blue will eventually be hidden with algae, as a couple of my other ponds have proven  O0 .  I had also bought a really nice heavy duty black rubber liner at a yard sale that was about 11'x18' for $24!  The guy told me the only holes in it were around the edge (it had been nailed at the edges).  I told him what I was going to use it for.  I bought it, brought it home, trusting him all the while.  Unfolded it to line this pond, and found two square holes about 8"x8" cut right out of the center of it  >:(-  I was so mad!!  I should have unfolded it and inspected it before buying, but typically you can trust people around here.  At any rate, I still feel I got a good deal, because I can cut it in half and have two pieces about 9'x11', and that is still cheap for those...  The only problem with that is that now I have two potential ponds just dying to be made  :P  I won't be able to stand it until they are full of water and plants  ::)

I'm pretty sure that passersby think I'm nuts... People that went by the front of the house saw me vacuuming carpet outside in the driveway and gave me funny looks, and people who drove by the back and saw the pond probably thought I was making a redneck swimming pool!   lol

Okay on to the pics!  Please excuse my lawn in terrible need of mowing- been too busy ponding the past few days to mow   :D  And a big THANK YOU to Kat for her advice on construction!!!!   :worship:

framed up:

lag bolt closeup:

bottom carpet laid:

sides lined with carpet (the local carpet store's dumpster is an underlayment jackpot!!)

filling up:

cap boards attached:

all done!  (Just needs plants- it won't be long before it is full at the rate I am buying lilies and lotuses this year 8) )

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:16:39 PM by joeyb5980 »
Joey

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New raised wooden pond
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »
Wow, good job. It won't be long and that pretty blue won't show, either because it will be full of plants or the algae will take over.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:52:53 AM »
Thanks Esther  :)

Also, I had big plans in my head of decorating it with 6 of these:

One at each corner, and then centered on the long sides.  Then I was going to get rope and wrap around the top of each one and drape in between all the way around.  I ended up scrapping that idea because I figured it would just be in my way of working in the pond, even though I envisioned it really dressing it up.  Plus taking them back got me $27 back that could be spent on lilies instead  :P  I think I am going to put a couple of rusty barn stars on the front side maybe to add some interest  :)  Thought I would throw that idea out there though if someone else wanted to add it to theirs- I really do think that would look nice  ;)

Joey

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:09:32 AM »
Very nice! I am thinking next years pond is going to be half in the ground and half out, so I love seeing these detailed pictures of how others did theirs! Thanks!
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Cypress Point Pond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
What an ingenious idea!  This is about the most practical option to a traditional in-ground pound that I have ever seen.  I can envision seeing one in geometric shapes someday.  Joey, you are to be congratulated.  Also I was glad to see the very good detail work, i.e. recessed bolts/nuts.  Did you use galvanized bolts and nuts to prevent rusting?  

Another thought that I'm sure you may have considered.  You can easily create planting shelfs easily using vinyl or rubber liner wrapped cinder blocks.  While in a natural styled pond these would look out of place but in your contemporary style such will fit right in as they match the shape of your pond.

Thanks for sharing the photo's and very thorough information. Congratulations!

louisp
Louisp

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:28:42 AM »
Thanks guys...  Derrick, half in and half out is a great option- you get the benefits of both styles...

Louis, Can't say this was my own idea- check out a pic of Kat's ponds from a couple of years ago  O0  (see below)  It was nice to not have to dig for once!!!  I used 5/16ø x 6" lag screws w/washers, and yes they were galvanized.  All lumber was treated...   I know from my clawfoot bathtub lily pond how much easier it is to view, smell, and access lilies in an above ground pond.  I have already been told I will probably have people wanting to hire me to build these LOL- I would have to sub out the leveling part  lol  I don't have time for that though   :D  .....  Thanks for the idea about wrapped cinder blocks...  My sister is a cook at the school, and gets me all the milk crates I want, which make great plant stands too  O0  I am anxious to try pvc hooping and plastic for an aquatic greenhouse next spring (another thanks to Kat for that idea too ;) )

Here is my inspiration (hope Kat doesn't mind some old forum pics resurfacing)

Joey

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
Also, I know there are some other forum members with raised wooden ponds too- please share your pics- I would love to see them as I'm sure others would too.  Bonnie (bunny), didn't you do one last year? 
Joey

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:01:57 AM »
Great job with your new pond  O0 O0 O0  The rustic decorations on the side sound great.  Mine are too close together to do something like that. 

Seeing my old pics makes me even more anxious for my tropicals to start growing & blooms  ;)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:26:29 AM »
I take it lily ponds don't need pumps and aeration? 

Oh, and, as for decor, I vote for a rusted metal TEXAS star!   ;)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
Fabulous job, Joey!!!   O0  Kat is also an inspiration to my plans for a lily pond too.  It will be approx. 24" above and 12" to 24" below pond with the ground surface acting as a shelf for lilies and hopefully lotus.  The extra depth is for for the fish I will keep in it.  Hopefully I will not encounter major rocks in the excavation which could determine the actual depth I can use.  I will include bio-filtration, skimmer, and BD.

Your photos (and Kat's) are very good.  Dumpster diving for rugs is a great idea!  Now hurry up already and fill it with water and lilies!!!  @O@  Naturally photos of finished look!

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:41 AM »
Thanks all!  

Julles, I don't think that pumps are a necessity in these, but of course it would depend on size, fish, etc. I guess.....I plan on putting this old hand pump at a corner, to get some circulation/aeration for the feeder goldies I will put in (for mosquito control) and for visual interest.  I haven't had time yet to tackle that- maybe this evening after mowing  :)

Joey

Offline onecorgilover

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/04/2007
    • View Profile
    • Southern Gardeners
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »
Wow!  I am so impressed....I never would have thought of a raised pond.....hmmmm......  8-)~
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think - Dorothy Parker

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
Great job!!! O0  It really looks fantastic!  

And Kat, I love the flowers along the edges of yours.  We were thinking about how to dress ours up a bit.  Hubby says "monkey grass" (his landscaping solution to everything...how do we border the new flower beds?  Monkey grass.  What should I put on the edge of the pond?   Monkey grass.  :D)  I will have to show him your pictures!

Our new pond is about 12 inches in the ground and another 12 inches above ground...

It has a net to keep predators away...the big fantails live there.  It's not pretty, but it's functional.  I actually took the net off to take photos this morning, but I must have gotten sidetreacked.  I had 30+ pond photos, but none of the new pond without the net.

My other pond is inground (formerly a swimming pool in another life ;)) and has a rock border.  I am thinking we could use the same rocks to border this one, and add raised beds along the edges.  

Great ideas in this post!

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
The biggest challenge of the above ground ponds is getting it level.  NONE of mine are level even though I tried  >:(-  Part in ground & part above ground is great if you need more room for your fish.  This one used to be my koi pond (they got too big so now it is being devoted to Watonai).  The shelf for the plants is actually the dirt underneath. 

I love having flowers alongside the big square pond in the backyard.  I have to be careful where I step but the additional colors are fun to have.  Eventually I'll finish putting in pavers & have more flowers with a combination of creeping flowering ground cover. 

Joey--don't forget, the waterlilies won't like splashing on their pads but your pump is very nice.  I don't have any filtration in my lilyponds except at winter to prevent a complete ice over.  It usually is fine as long as you don't have too many goldfish.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:56:34 AM by Kat »
Kat

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
nope...mine isn't level either...and we really tried. 

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
Vickie has a beautiful raised wooden pond too- Vickie, you should post your pic that you sent me a while back!

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who is leveling-challenged :harhar:

Ruthie your pond looks great!  That netting system looks really neat.  Too funny about your hubby and the monkey grass.

Kat- great pics!  I forgot to tell you I saw where you posted on Koiphen about the Watonai- they are beautiful.. How are they doing?  And yep, I remember that lilies like still water- I figured if I put it in the corner, it shouldn't affect them as long as I don't put any too close to it  :)
Joey

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
Ruthie--your net looks very effective & I like the support system for it.  Good luck convincing hubby to stay away from the monkey grass ;)

Joey--I figured you'd know about the splashing, but if you are anything like me, you'll want that corner for lily pads once the pond fills up  {:-P;;

The watonai are doing fine.  I've actually gotten eggs from 2 different spawnings & I see babies from the first one.  Knock on wood that I get some healthy & nice looking babies.  One more watonai looks like she still has eggs, so I just may get another spawning.  Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.  I also have shubunkin babies along with comet babies.  This fall I'm going to have my hands full trying to figure out which to keep & which to find homes for if a lot of them survive.
Kat

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
Joey,

I like it!  It looks like it turned out very nice.

I also like Kat's and Ruthie's.  All very cool!

We built one last summer, I will attach a pic of it.  We are also leveling challenged.  Mine still needs the liner trimmed on the sides and top boards attached.  We will get it done one day.  We have already moved mine to a new location in the yard once, and since we are now moving, it will be able to go with us, although it is a little heavy. 

We also built a raised pond before we moved from south dakota that we put  preform inside.  If I can find a pic of it I will attach it also.

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pic's and all your progress along the way. 

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »
You guys are giving me great ideas.  Bad news for the wifey.   
Alfonso

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for showing your photos.  I've been wanting a couple of above the ground ponds but haven't gotten hubby that interested.  I showed him the pictures and he really liked 'em so maybe I'll get 1 or 2 this year!   Yipee! @O@
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Need to include Koi Boi's pond.  Wish I had enough room to build one like it  :D

http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2259.msg24081#msg24081
Kat

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 07:13:10 PM »
Thanks all for the compliments, and big thanks to those who contributed photos of other wood ponds!   8-)~  Wow- Koi Boi's pond is fantastic!  It looks alot more complicated to build, but the end result is gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing that Kat  :)

I worked on adding my pump to it this evening, and put a couple of plants in it- just 3 lilies that won't need dividing this year (at least not till way later anyway).  Wow it is going to hold even more than I thought!  I'm sure Kat is right though, and it will come to the point where lilies will eventually claim the corner too, and the pump will have to go  :D Dressed up the front with a barn star too- I am happy with it- just a couple of extras made a big difference...  I will work on adding more lilies as I get them divided and repotted this week, plus Mom is giving me several out of her pond that she doesn't want anymore either, but I will probably sell or trade those.  Also threw in some of the hyacinth that Ruthie was kind enough to send me  O0  And I even mowed!   ;D

Also, I forgot to add that I had two wonderful helpers- my sons Nate and Ethan....  8)  They weren't prepped for a photo since this was on the fly after playing outside all evening in "play" clothes.  Just to prove how well they clean up, I'll add a pic of us from Easter morning too :)

Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: New raised wooden pond- updated photos
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
Joey, you have been very busy!!  Makes me look lazy.... :P  You did a great job on your pond.  Three very handsome boys too.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
Awww, very handsome boys there.   

Love the pond.  Told dh that I need one for my tropicals in the greenhouse.  I used the excuse that the big koi will eat them...LOL.  I think he bought into it, he said OK.  Cha Ching I think.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
here is a couple of mine but have not finished the front one
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »
Vickie,

Very nice and that one is huge!  I love your bannana trees!

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
Someone asked about bi-level ponds.
I built one for my wife's big koi last year.
Here is the link to the thread on building it and incorporating the bog as a filter system.
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2463.msg26033#msg26033
Plants are a big part of the biosystem in a bog as the love to eat from all of the excess nutrients and muck from the water, plants and fish.
Here is a picture from a couple days ago. As you can see, the bog is full of happy plants, our biggest koi is now about 2.5 feet long and the lilies have learned to coexist with the koi... to a large degree.

By the way, the 2nd picture shows jumbo and friends in a 5 ft kiddie pool when I did the spring cleaning of the pond. They like to dig so I had about 2 inches of silt I had to get off the bottom from over the fall and winter. Nets are not big enough. These guys have to be corralled and caught by hand. Fortunately they are used to my presence.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 03:41:23 AM »
Beauty pond and fish Tim! That is similar to the idea I am kicking around, but might bring mine a foot or so out of the ground (it is so rocky here digging is a b*&^*h).

You have an awfully releaved look on your face in that second pic of you in the water! I would almost guess too many pops and to far back to the house! ;) lol

Derrick
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 05:29:34 AM »
Thanks, Vickie!  I love your raised ponds.   And Tim, that veggie filter looks great!  Very lush healthy plants....  Pretty koi too O0

I'm glad my post has seemed to inspire others to join me in debt with sore muscles  :harhar:  No, really for those of you who posted that you were thinking about one- they aren't that hard, and they are great to have!

Joey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"