Author Topic: New Kittens on Cinco de Mayo  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Kittens on Cinco de Mayo
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:58:24 PM »
Someone threw away this little female, she just showed up a couple of months ago.  Starved literally and for affection to, so you know that this is her home now.  I named her Sadie.

While I was staining my porch swing, my bench, and the cellar door Sadie was with me on the porch.  She meows a lot so I didn't think much of it.  I looked down close to the pillar and the climbing hydrangea and wondered where the water was coming from and there was Sadie licking a kitten!  She was giving birth on the bare cement of the porch.  Poor little Sadie.  I put her in a box lined with a towel and kept her by me the rest of the afternoon on the porch while I worked.  She gave birth to 4 more. 

I found it amazing that she totally trusted me to pick her up, handle her kittens while I tried to make her comfortable; and all she did was purr at me. 

I put her on clean towels in her box with her kittens in a large crate in the garage that has a litter box, food and water where I hope she will be safe until morning.  I just hope the racoons don't prowl around in there tonight. 

I'll try and get some pics to share tomorrow-- ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Kittens on Cinco de Mayo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:05:52 PM »
Oh, that is so sweet... I just love kittens... send pic when you can   o(:-)

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
She knew she was safe with you.  Animals know when a person loves animals.  Yes, I can't wait to see pics. 

My little girl pug just went into season again, this will be her second one.  She's got a clean bill of health and so does he (although he does have allergies) so, we'll see.  If it happens it happens, would like to just see one litter then have them both spayed and neuttered.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 05:33:45 AM »
Some not so good pics of the kittens...I'll get better ones later, but had to share.  I was changing bedding this morning early and had to snap these.  They are not in focus good, but I was trying to hurry so as not to get Sadie upset when they started mewing loudly  :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:50:57 AM »
AWWW how sweet. There's nothing like baby kittens and mommy was smart to have her babies by you. She knew she could trust you.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:08:25 AM »
How DARLING they are!  Thanks for helping mommy & the kittens.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:09:06 AM »
Looks like Sadie found a great place to have her babies.   O0
Jim

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »
Thanks all...usually when you pick up baby kittens for the first few times they spit and spat, but these are just so calm and sweet like Sadie.  They were so warm and clean this morning.  She is being a good mama.  I took her some wet food this morning and she ate it all.  I want her to be able to nurse these kittens herself, cuz it's too hard to hand bottle feed a passel of kittens.  I've done it so many times I've lost count--and anyway I'm supposed to be the grandmother, not the mother :D 

I'm going to try to post more pics but I'm going to a baseball game tonight and still have to grocery shop this afternoon.  DH is on his own tonight even though he's planting.  I usually take him his supper in the field, but he will have to fend for himself.  It's all about me tonight!  lol
LuAnn

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
LuAnn,

Congrats on the new litter of kittens.  That's just about what happened to us last spring when Miss Kitty found us and then presented us with a litter of kittens.  It was the first time I had the pleasure of helping raise a litter of kittens since I was a child (all of our cats since then have been spayed/neutered).  If you're like me, you will be worrying about those babies until they reach a size where they can take care of themselves (since they're outside).  Kittens are sooooo cute, and I love to watch them playing.   :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:40:30 AM »
Yes Sandye, they like to use the flower beds to hide behind plants and then jump on each other.  There are springy plants that when held down, bounce back up which delights them to no end.  I'll kinda have to keep an eye out that they don't kill everything by jumping, scratching, digging and generally just having fun! :D  I'll post more pics later, after I have my coffee.  Sadie was out this morning walking around, first time I've seen her leave them for a few minutes.  Goodness, doesn't she have to potty?  I'm a little worried about that because I put a litter box in there with her, but maybe she doesn't know what it is  :P
LuAnn

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »
I'm sure she is pottying. You just haven't seen her leave. As for the litter box, if her feet have hit the soft litter, she'll know what it is for. Her instincts will just kick in.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
Thanks Esther, that eases my mind.  She has started eating pretty well and drinking too.  So even though I haven't seen her pottying, I'm going to believe that she is.  I did see her out for a few minutes today but she kept looking back over her shoulder and her uneasiness finally won out and she climbed back into bed with her kittens.  (I know that feeling all too well... :P)
LuAnn

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:22:59 PM »
Congratulations on a family well started.

Anyone wanting kittens should contact me - I have eight. I'll make good deals for a good home - 2 for 1... no problem.

We have a semi-tame cat (Slut Kitty) and a totally wild barn cat (Hateful - aptly named). They had litters two weeks apart.
There is no profit in letting Hateful raise kittens, because they turn out... hateful. So we stole the kittens and gave them to slut kitty to raise. She raised EIGHT kittens in two groups, two weeks apart. And they are all fine, healthy and mischevious.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
Savannah, is that you?  Welcome to the forum...I've been gone for a while and didn't notice that you joined...until I saw your avatar.   ;D

Your little kittens are pretty, but you'll probably find, as I did, that it's very hard to give away kittens.  Everyone already has as many cats as they want or they want to buy a purebred "whatever."  :(  I love the names you gave your momma kitties...very funny!!!   lol

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »
Hi Sandye!  o(:-)

Yeah, finding homes for kittens is gonna be a heartbreak.

They are good watch cats. We are safe from all those dangerous feathers, leaves and hair puffs.  :D

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Your kittens are adorable!  Your stories with your Mom cats are funny--all cats have personalities, some endearing and some are just plain a$$holes! lol 

I have been gone this last couple of days and haven't taken any kitten pics, but tomorrow I'll get some and post.  They seem to be doing fine and so is Sadie.  We have been setting the coon trap in the garage and have trapped 3 this week.  I am glad that I have Sadie and kittens in the crate and I shut and lock the door at night.  I open it up in the daytime and she can come and go. 

I've never been good at giving kittens away, especially after raising them up from the minute they are born.  If someone really wanted one, I would do it though as long as it was going to a good home.  We have such sweet kittens--they are used to people touching and holding them soon after birth.  If you don't interact with them right away, they always seem to be a little standoffish and aloof. (kind of a cat trait anyway! :D)
LuAnn

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
WE had some kittens in august 2007. The Mom was a feral cat. We still have her, no more babies for her tho!. I never have had such fun with kittens! It has been a long time since we had any . I was very sorry to see them go. It may not be as difficult to give them away . Depends, our town has an ordinance about unspayed female cats. A fee must be paid of $85 in order to possess one.
We live in NE CT Had calls from RI and southern CT for the kittens. All went immediately!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"