Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
I'm back!
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:50:15 PM »
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

Back a little anyway.

The last year has been pretty much work, work, work on the house to the point of having zero free time and pretty much no social life, but by the end of this month the biggest projects that have been in the works will be done.  Not to say there is not a lot left to do, but at least I can enjoy the summer a bit more.  Hopefully summer will land on a weekend this year since most days it still is more like November here instead of May.

I'll get some before and after photos of the house remodeling as I have a bit more time.  NEVER buy a house when there is still snow banks in the yard.  That is my bit of advice to people.  All sorts of horrors can be hidden a little too easily.

I did buy at the right time though.  Within two months we had the start of a major economic boom here and the value on the place has just about doubled in the last year.  Of course that does little good since selling and buying up still presents one with doubling on that side of the tracks too.

Ponding for 2007 was hit and miss.  I still have the pond at the family farm however I barely had time to even look at it.  I had one of two mag pumps die early in the season so the waterfall was more like a little boy peeing.  I've got a new pump for this year and if all goes according to play I will have things up and running within the next two weeks.  Perhaps more time this year to enjoy it when I go out there.  No shortage of blooms though.  Colorado did extremely well.  I keep only the hardy lilies now in both the above ground pond and my in-ground pond.  I sold my halide lamp to some guy who was growing "medical" supplies.   {:-P;;  He was happy.  Also sold a bunch of left over pond liner to people in this city who were also happy.

I haven't made plans for my back yard yet.  Right now it is a blank slate (all there is is crappy grass inside a crappy fence) and perhaps I'll get you guys to help me with ideas.  I do not know if a pond will be part of it unless I close down the farm pond.  I don't want to manage both.  I don't want a lot of maintenance either anymore.

More later as time permits. 

Bart

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »
Welcome Back Bart!   @O@  Family farm sounds like fun.  What did you find in the yard snow banks?  :o

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
Hi Bart,
Nice to see you back. I'm real glad that the house is comming along  and you'll have some time to yourself this summer. Yeah, I agree, one pond at a time is enough work, especailly spread out like that, but maybe someday you'll have one in your backyard.
Can't wait to see pics of your house.
Hope you have a great summer! O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »
Welcome back!
We recently got lots on new members from Canada! O0
New member Cedrick from Hong Kong, has made some very interesting posts.  You will enjoy! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
Glad to hear you are continuing to make progress on your new home. Often people have some bad experiences with discovering things they didn't realize when they signed the purchase papers. But in the end, now your home feels more like your home. You've made it yours by adding your choices in to it.

As for the yard, why not skip even thinking about a pond this summer and maybe put in some water feature like a dissappearing waterfal or fountain? You'd still get the sound and water movement without the work.

If you want some help with ideas for your yard, you should draw up a diagram of it and  ::) I bet "YOO HOO, OH JOYCE!!"  O0 someone will come up with some suggestions.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
Welcome back, Bart!!! @O@  We wondered if you had dropped off the face of the earth.   lol  I'm glad to hear you've just been busy and can't wait to see pics of your house remodeling. 

I agree with Esther that you should take your time planning your new pond and/or waterfall and get it exactly like you want it.  I'd like to start over with mine considering all the things I have learned since I started ponding.   {:-P;;

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:38:12 AM »
Hi Bart!  Waiting for pictures...  @O@
Tammie

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
Nice to hear from you Bart.  Sounds like you have been a very busy man.

The Electra and Lavender Lace you sent me last year have lots and lots of pads on them.  They're still indoors, probably until mid-June sometime but I can't wait to get them back into the pond.  They were so beautiful last year. 

I hope you can settle on a backyard plan that brings you peace and pleasure without an unreasonable amount of work. 
emm

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back everyone!  I was still lurking here a bit even when gone so I remember most of you.

I'm just in the process of cleaning up the place inside and out after the last push and then I will post some photos. 

I have been thinking of doing something like a gyser in a rock area that requires no actual pond so-to-speak, but I've also not ruled out something totally above ground providing any landscape plan would look good with it.  First may be just some kind of trees to provide some shade and block the view of the neighbours across my back alley.  They are higher up and can look right down into my yard which I am not fond of.

I could also use some outdoor furniture on the patio to keep the BBQ company and perhaps actually have a BBQ this summer with people over!  My brother "donated" his old BBQ to me last summer.  He said it just required a new burner.  A day later and for $10.00 less than what I would have spent on a new BBQ I had that one fixed and cleaned up to be usable.  No more freebies from my brother unless they come with free labor to fix the things!

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
come on bart, dig a hole, line it add what ever and get on with it. You know ponding.
You know the game plan {:-P;; O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
Welcome back Bart.  Looking forward to seeing photos of your new digs.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
Hello Bart! I'm glad you're back.  :)

Yeah, work work work. It's endless! Know how you feel for sure!

Ancient Chinese saying: House finished, man dead.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
Welcome Back!  @O@
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"