Author Topic: My Fancy Goldfish Bowl  (Read 2530 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Fancy Goldfish Bowl
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
These are probably the only fancy goldfish I've ever had for over 20 years.   ;D  They're trouble free!  I clean their bowl maybe once every year or so.   Yesterday was that once.  Enjoy!  o(:-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Fancy Goldfish Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »
Here's the bowl and a couple of shots of the inside.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:40:03 AM »
Very pretty Annette.   o(:-)  I really like the way the fish are represented.  Looks like the ones on the outside are Celestials or maybe Telescopes.  Do you know more about it?  Origin?  How old?
Jim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »
Thanks Sonny.   :)

I bought this antique bowl for my dad after I got married as a thank you for putting up with my wedding (actually my mother's  {:-P;;).  My dad loved antiques, Asian theme in particular.  So when I first moved back to Los Angeles about 30 years ago I visited and old jeweler in Chinatown where my parents and grandparents use to purchase or repair their jewelery and antiques.  The old jeweler's son was taking over the business and wanted to renovate the store.  The goldfish bowl was one of the antiques he was selling off. 

I've never had it proven but the jeweler said it was made in the 18th century from China.  It's fine porcelain.  Hand painted reliefs.  A flashlight inside the bowl illuminates beautifully through the bowl.  I also bought another bowl totally different design and a little smaller for myself to make an awesome deal.  I know it's over at least 50 years old (Grandpa says he saw both bowls when the store first opened in the early 1950's).  There is an old stamp pressed into the bottom.

When my dad passed away about 20 years ago he willed this beautiful bowl back to me.  When I look at it I always remember his excitement for the bowl and the poor goldfish he tried to raise in it (the old Chinese Emperor way).   o(:-)

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:15:11 AM »
Oh! It's beautiful Annette.  I love the story too, great beauty and great sentimental value combined.  I want to know more about the old Chinese Emperor way of raising goldfish.  It sounds like another great story.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
That really is gorgeous. I like the luminescent quality of good porcelain...  o(:-)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
That is gorgeous.  I bet it has a high dollar value.
That is so cool that he willed it back to you, and you can think of him each time you look at it. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
I want to know more about the old Chinese Emperor way of raising goldfish.  It sounds like another great story.

Really nothing special, especially to us nowadays.  But way-back-when only emperors had the "special goldfish"  and large fine porcelain bowls were made just for the purpose of raising fish.  If you were the maker of a favorite bowl you got accolades and naturally became a "favorite".  The part I like about the emperors way is that all the minions did all the grunge work.  The boss just enjoyed the fish swimming in the bowl.  In relations to my dad...I'm the minion and he's the emperor.  ;D

No matter the value, the memory is priceless.  when family members and friends visit they smile when they see the bowl and remember my father.  o(:-)

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »
What fond memories you will always have of your Father, lucky you :)

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
all the minions did all the grunge work.

ahh yes, that's the way of emperors everywhere.  I'm not sure I'd like it, there is some satisfaction in doing things yourself.  Digging though, and hauling heavy stuff, bring on the minions!

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:53 AM »
These are my favourite bowls, you can still get them here in Hong Kong, even the new ones are quite pricey. The half barrel shape ones are in fact very good for keeping fish in, just two or so choice fancies.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 07:28:41 AM »
What a gorgeous bowl and an even better story / memory.

Here is a bowl that I picked up last winter. not so fancy, but pretty cool 8)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:29 AM »
Very nice bowl Steve  O0  You'll find the fancy fish in the bowl will be the easiest fish to take care of anytime of the year.  :D  ;D

So what are you doing with your bowl?  As you can see mine is a curio table.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"