Author Topic: Aussie Seed  (Read 7366 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Aussie Seed
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:10:05 PM »
If there is enough interest, I will pollinate some pods on gigantea and immutabilis to harvest seed.  I'll then be glad to send it to members here, but I insist you first research what it is you are asking for.  I read posts in forums all the time in which a person has jumped on a free offer, just 'cause it's free and then has no idea how to deal with what they got.

There will be a quiz if you do decide to ask for some.<g>

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Seed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »
Geez.. that would leave me out, I never made the honor roll after 8th grade! ?)(?

In all seriousness, how nice of you Craig. O0

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:06 PM »
hi craig,
i would like to try some seed. how long will it take to get some.

lou

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »
Hi Craig, I too would like some seed, especially from immutabilis. When you cross into it, does it seed like a species lily in that most seed is the same color or do you normally get color variety when you cross into it... ie pink,blue and or purple. As to the quiz... I have a question for you...do you use any vegetable dye to darken and cool the water like William Phillips does or not.
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:19:57 AM »
(hand waving) Me, Me, Me! 
Tammie
P.S. - What's the quiz going to be about?  The size of the lilies?  Or the fact that they're finicky?  Or that they like really warm water?  Do I need to study more?
Oh My G*D a fly just flew in my ear!! Yuck!
Tammie

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »
Hi Lou,

It could be real quick if you want some of last years immutabilis...or sprouted seed from this year.  Although, I'm not a big fan on shipping sprouted seed, too fragile at that stage, imo.  Fresh seed?  You are looking at probably a couple weeks or less as I slready have pollinated a few blooms.

Timgod...not sure exactly what you are asking on the crossing thing.  Immutabilis is a species, so gives seed true to species, since I'm selfing it or crossing with siblings.  In all probability the seed will grow to be some shade of blue.  The pink immutabilis are very rare and as mine have yet to bloom this year, the seed won't be coming from them.<g>

I don't dye the water.  But a black dye is going to heat the water not cool it.  It can be a useful addition in some areas to extend the season, as Aussies won't perform well except in very warm waters.  I know Longwood Gardens in PA uses a dye to heat the waters in their Vic ponds and Rich Sacher uses it at New Orleans Botanic Garden display to get a couple weeks jump start in the Spring.

Tammie...the class clown eh?  Trying to give the answers away....no seed for you!  Really, you have a handful of immutabilis tubers and seed on the way to you already.  I promised you it would be this week.<g>

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »
I was referring to the fact that the surface would be warm but the lower depths would be cool.
On the color question, I was just curious if you were crossing from different colors or a self cross as you have now described. I thank you for the clarification. I would be grateful to you if you keep me in mind when you get some seed.

On a side note....boy are your cultivars hard to get... I have been trying for two years to get some. I had even asked Rolf to try when he came to Fla for the symposium. I work in retail so my schedule is tight and I could not get away. Thanks to Sean and the wonderful members of this board I now have four of your fantastic creations that I received earlier this week.
  ;D @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ ;D

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 05:37:44 PM »
Oh boy!  I'm getting presents!  I love presents!  I'm ready! 
You know what they say about the class clown - joking to hide their ignorance! lol
Thank you!
Tammie

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 07:38:29 PM »
You know what they say about the class clown - joking to hide their ignorance! lol

Hmmmm, ignorance and Tammie . . . . Nope!  They don't go in the same breath . . . .

Now class clown?  that's another story . . . .

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »
I think the dark coloring warms the entire water column.  I can't imagine how it would warm the surface but cool the depths, being as water is a good conductor of heat.  I checked a few ponds today and while the surface temp in all three was close to 90 F, at 16" the clearest was coolest at 78 F and the most turbid was a balmy 85F.  Couldn't put my hands on my Secchi disk, so can't read too much into it without knowing the relative clarities...but darker was definitely warmer.<g>

I have no idea how many of my hybrids are out there, though four sounds pretty good...maybe six?  Problem is while I enjoy hybridizing, propagating is too much like work, so if they fight me I ignore them.  Hope to get maybe three or four others out this year and then switch to getting some of Charles Winch's plants ready for the market.

Anyway, I should have immutabilis seed soon.

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »
If you can get some of the Winch's out that would be great. I thought the display in New Orleans was fantastic. He is sort of a propagating genius, but you are my favorite on the scene today because of the structure of many of your releases. If you ever release Serendepity I would like to be first in line to get one...please...please...please. It is one of my favorites of all the lilies I have ever seen.
Tim

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 05:50:10 AM »
 Hi Craig I would love to have some of the seeds I think they would do great in my warm pond

Thanks
Bessie
Bessie

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 07:39:18 PM »
Craig, don't forget me. I've already read up on them and know what I'm getting into. You know that I want both, right. Do I need to beg? ;) {:-P;;

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »
I have been pollinating pods, so I should have seed in a few weeks.  I don't figure anyone is in a big rush as the seeds need to be started at temps in the low to mid 90's and the ponds should be about that before they are put out....so I figure most everyone has time before conditions are right.<g>

Mostly I'm going for the immutabilis, long story, but they should be the better performer for the average water gardener.  Once established they seem to tolerate cooler, temps whereas gigantea get shakey when water temps dip into the low 80's.

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »
Yes to the quizees!
Loved Gigantia ever since seeing it a movie as a boy, might have been a tarzan flick.
Put me in line!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
May I please have some seed? I have aquariums set up and a 100 gallon pond in my basement. I keep my Albert De LeStang alive and growing for 3 or 4 yrs.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:46 PM »
Craig, got dumb question.  Does immutablis bloom have to be pollinated?  Can't just put
stocking or something over it, when stem forms crook know it has good seeds.  I've been
catching seeds off a plant, guess they're not good since I didn't polinate them. Dang!!!
Can I mooch some seeds off you?  Got aquarium set up for them, water temp is 85.

Marie

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »
Pods are fertilized and covered, so I'll let all y'all know when the harvest comes in.

And Marie, immutabilis isn't cleistagamous, so yes the bloom has to open to get seed.  You get more if you pollinate it, but it should self-pollinate to some degree, so the seed you are getting, if they are large ( maybe 1/8 inch) and nearly black should be good.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 05:10:13 PM »
Hey Craig:

Not sure I have the season up here to grow these Aussie Lilies, but I wanted to clarify the black dye used at Longwood.  Tim Jennings showed me their intricate steam pipe system in their ponds when they are drained to repot their 4' planters (early spring).  So the heat is really generated by the steam and the dye is used to hide the pipes. 

With that said a black dye does increase the pond temperature 1-5 degrees depending on surface area: to volume ratio, which I try to take advantage of here due to the short season ( I live 10 minutes away from Longwood).  Believe it or not I've been working off 2 bags of solid dye for the last 10 years!  But don't get it on your hands! We use to dilute it in Miami and sell it.

The comment of being cooler below the surface does not make sense, perhaps you meant light did not penetrate as deep so you have to put lily starts closer to the surface.

Cheers,

Gary

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »
The time is at hand....anyone wanting immutabilis seed, if you pm or email me your address I should be able to get them on the way by the end of next week.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 08:27:52 PM »
Well If they are still any left over I would love to try them out as well, I think I already PM'ed you my mailing address from another thread. If not I will send it again. Thanks for the opportunity to try to raise one of these beauties!
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:03 PM »
Hi All,

Look for the immutabilis seed to go out this Weds.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 05:23:27 PM »
Craig, did you have any luck with the N. gigantea seed pods?

Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
Craig would this be the immutabilis we are all speaking of, does it really get that blue?
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »
That is N.immutabilis, but I have two forms one blue and one more purple and the seeds are a mix of both.  Actually, I have a third pink form, but there won't be any seeds in there from it.

Tough question Scott....I had luck with gigantea, I got seed from a collection in the Northern Territories and a couple from Queensland, so I'm happy.  But suspecting you are asking if I collected any to send out...I'll have to check.  I did collect a bit, but then let most sprout.  Oopsy, but then the interest seemed to be in immutabilis and I distract easily.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 03:03:06 PM »
N. immutabilis is a great lily, I have bloomed it here in Vancouver Canada and still have it. Actually I think I have three or four.

I got my first as a seedling from my good friend Rich Sacher while staying with him in New Orleans and then I brought one to Cocoa Beach for Kit and Ben Knotts and finally brought one for Craig when I popped in for a quick visit.

It's a great waterlily folks but is not used to our North American climes. I hope everyone who gets seed from Craig will be successful. I also hope all you folks who are successful can hybridize with it and find some characteristics that suit our North American climate.

You see it is though hybridizing that we can create our own version of these stunning plants from OZ that most of us will be able to enjoy for years to come.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
Awesome... Now I really can't wait :) So here comes the dumb questions, When you try to hybrid your lilies it is hardy's to hardy's and Trops to Trops right? never shall the twains meet? Second when is it that you can actually collect the seed? After the bloom retreats back into the water? (My hardy's retract the bloom, they coil up and end up near the bottom) This is a whole new world to me........ Talk to me, Educate me!

Craig, Shawn, Tim...... What is the easiest way to sprout the seed and how long before you pot it??

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »
I tag the bloom when I make the cross and once the pod sinks I'll cover it with a bit of cloth to contain the seed.  In warm weather tropical lilies generally take 3-4 wks before the pod ruptures and the seed is released.

I sprout mine in jars of water set out in the sun and pot them up in small 2"-4" pots when they have a root or two and the first hastate leaf.

Coventional wisdom is hardy-hardy and trop-trop.  More specifically day trop -day trop and night to night.

There is basic info on all this to be found on www.victoria-adventure.org
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 04:33:08 PM »
Andy,

Your Amorphophallus bulb and immutabilis seed are on the way via UPS.  Everyone else.....sorry, but I ran out of time.  Should be able to get them on the way this coming Friday.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 08:27:53 AM »
Scott, Tim, Vickie and Kay....your seed is on the way to the PO now.  Scott, I did send some for what is most likely N. gigantea, but no promises.  Kay, there is a small amount of Anthurium plowmanii, but you'll need to clean it.  The berries dried, so it looks like hell, but should be some good seed in the mess.  I didn't clean it as once you remove the coting the clock starts ticking and it needs to be planted toute suite.

Good luck!
Craig     SW FL 9B

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"