Author Topic: LeeAnne, About Fresh Produce  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
LeeAnne, About Fresh Produce
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »
LeeAnne, I noticed on Joyce's thread that you said, "I compost a lot of fresh produce because we buy too much at once and don't get it all eaten before it goes bad."

That used to happen to me a lot, too, because I buy a lot of fresh produce for DH's "heart healthy" diet.  (I eat it, too.  ;) )  I tried the "Green Bags" advertised on TV, although I bought mine over the internet.  They really work!!!  O0  Although if you watch the infomercial or read the info on the internet, you might have a tendency to say, "Yeah, right!", they really do work, and I can keep salad fixings at least twice as long...sometimes three times as long.   I know that because I wrote down when I bought the produce (lettuce, roma tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, carrots, etc.) and then noted the date when I used the last of it.  We don't get to the store often because of DH's dementia, so I really needed a way to cut down on the amount of veggies and fresh fruit that I was throwing away.

The Green Bags are now available at Wal-Mart (cheaper than I got them over the internet because of the $7.00 shipping), and I will buy another set one of these days.  You can use them 10 times before they start to become ineffective, so I mark mine with a permanent marker each time I use them.  I can now buy more fresh produce at a time and I don't have to waste much of it...unless I overestimate how long I have had it.  Just be very sure that the produce is DRY when you put it in the bags, as it will spoil much quicker if it is wet.  Don't wash any of the produce before you store it...wait until you use it to wash it.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: LeeAnne, About Fresh Produce
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
I agree! O0  We have a large vegetable garden (about an acre or so in total) and I bought some green bags at Wal-Mart at the beginning of harvesting this spring...they really do work.  Usually, we harvest and I have to spend the next day blanching everything to put it in the freezer.  But this season, I've kept  broccoli  and green beans in the green bags for a long, long time....it really has extended the time we can eat it fresh.  Even leaf lettuce...and that usually goes mushy pretty quickly.

Good idea about making them with a permanent marker!

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:59:38 AM »
i have seen that commercial/infomercial and wondered if they work.  most of the times infomerical stuff does not live up to its hype.  glad to know from people who have tried them that they actually do what they are supposed to do.  i think i will try them. 
i know most women will appreicate what i am going to say.

my mother has always told me that when you become a wife that you have to pick at least two foods that you will consistenly buy, not use and throw away.  i laughed at her comment, but low and behold, my foods soon become clear to me, yogurt and cottage cheese.  anybody else sign up for their two foods?   :)
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:02:53 AM »
My spouse bought some green containers at Costco.  They have a little button that evacuates the air.  She says it keeps produce amazingly well
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline carver

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:43 AM »
For the kitchen challenged like me... If I go to walmart and ask for green bags are they going to give me "the Look" or know what I mean? Is there a name for these other then Green Bags?

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
Carver,

They are called Debbie Meyer Green Bags.  I'm not sure all WalMarts have them, but our supercenter does.  They will be in the "As Seen On TV" section.  My printout from when I ordered mine over the internet also calls them "Green Bags Foodsaver Bags."  I hope this helps.   :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
I have seen the infomercial and did doubt that they would work. I do believe you so will buy some.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
Are they like the bags that Glad had out a few years back that had all the little slits in the bags? Those didn't work very well at for keeping produce longer.
I've seen the infomercial for them but am pretty skeptical about them too.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »
I am interested in these bags, but the produce has to be dry? My supermarket "mists your fresh vegetables to lock in freshness!" (meaning: make them look nice, but rot them faster). How would you dry broccoli sufficiently to use these bags? Salad spinner?
How dry should they be?

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:04 PM »
Shanna,
The Green Bags don't have slits in them, and it's better not to let them get holes in them.  Here is an excerpt from the Debbie Meyer site I ordered from:

"THE STORY BEHIND THE BAGS
Scientists involved in Antarctic exploration were searching for ways to prolong the freshness of produce. During their research, they found a region in Japan where for thousands of years farmers have been storing produce in mountain caves with amazing results.

The caves were dark, consistently cool, and dry. But it was discovered that the key to the remarkable preserving properties of the caves was a clay called "oya," and the cave mountain was made of it. The oya absorbed the ethylene gas that produce gives off as it matures. Green Bags combine ancient knowledge thousands of years old with space age technology for preserving produce.

DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® FAQs

How do DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® work?
The DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® absorb the ethelyne gas that is released by the food, which prevents the gas from staying in the fruit, and thus helping your food stay fresher longer.

What is the natural mineral that makes DEBBIE MEYER™ Green Bags® work?
Oya™ mineral form of Zeolite.  This mineral is all natural and 100% non toxic."

You can check them out at www.greenbags.com.  The site says you can keep some things 10 times longer, but I haven't done that yet.  I did keep a bunch of green lettuce for 24 days before I used the last of it.  Also, the bags can be reused 10 times, after which I would guess they start becoming less effective.  They are coated on the inside with the clay (it doesn't come off on the food, tho), and you just wash them with hot water...no soap.

Karen,
I usually just wipe or blot the food with a paper towel.  On the leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce bunches, I just blot them the best I can and shake the bunch upside down over the sink.  I'm sure a salad spinner would make them last longer if I would just take the time to do it before I put the lettuce in the bags.  {:-P;; You have a point about the broccoli probably having more water down in it...maybe try drying it upside down on paper towels for a while before storing it?  I haven't tried counting the days on broccoli yet.  I need to try that and see if it does as well as some of the other veggies. 

Well, there's my commercial for today!!  lol  I swear I don't have any stake in this company and have to pay full price for my Green Bags.  I am just impressed on how well they work!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:02:33 AM »
Ethylene gas does make fruit ripen and it is given off naturally by some fruits as they ripen. We used to have to un box the bananas to release it and you can put a banana in a paper bag with a avocado to make it ripen faster.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:19:28 PM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:17:08 AM »
I just assumed the green bags weren't what they claimed so I will be giving them a try! :)

Lettuce especially goes bad fast so I push out all the air that I can them zip, when using ziplock bags... that helps alot.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »
I think I will give them a try also. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline carver

• Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 03:38:55 AM »
Carver,

They are called Debbie Meyer Green Bags.  I'm not sure all WalMarts have them, but our supercenter does.  They will be in the "As Seen On TV" section.  My printout from when I ordered mine over the internet also calls them "Green Bags Foodsaver Bags."  I hope this helps.   :)

Thank You !

We will keep our eyes open for this weekend when we shop.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 06:03:45 AM »
I'll also look for the green bags. 

My tip for celery.  When you get it home wrap the stalks bag and all in aluminum foil.  Rewrap after each use.  It wil last a long long time.

My two foods to buy and toss...lettuce and tomato.  I always buy those because we live 25 miles from a grocery...and I might want some before I go back.  Spoilage is cheaper than gas at $4.03 for sure.

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »
Sue, lettuce and tomatoes seem to be foods that keep really well in the Green Bags (as long as they are dry before they go in the bags).  Maybe if you try the bags, you won't have to toss so much produce.  ;)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
I toss a lot of lettuce. We just don't eat it all with just the two of us. We often toss bananas too. I bought some of the bags today so we'll see what happens.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
Sandye, I bought some Green Bags at my local Jewel (owned by Albertsons). So far, they are GREAT for tomatoes. I bought some Romaine lettuce and split it up- half in original packaging and half in Green Bags. So far, the Green Bags are winning... though romaine stores well. I also bought some green beans and snap peas at the farmers market and will try an experiment on those as well.
We went Strawberry picking today. I wonder if we should experiment on them  :thinking:. They're soooo perishable, I feel the need to process/freeze/etc before they rot.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Listen,
Any woman with my all time favorite signature, should not buy so much lettuce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And let me add one more thing here, the Japenese have a word, (which of course I have no idea what it is) for beauty and it is not in green plastic bags!
Steve
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:03:54 PM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
Karen, I don't know about the strawberries.  I haven't tried them yet. If I were you, I think I would just experiment with a few of them in green bags and go ahead and freeze/process/eat the rest.  As you said, they are very perishable and expensive enough that I wouldn't experiment with a whole container of them.  ;)

If you do experiment, let me know how many days you get out of them.   8)

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »
If your bananas get too ripe for eating, which happens before they are really rotten with us as we like them kind of firm, peel them and put them in a plastic zip lock in the freezer.  They are great for making smoothies and banana bread or banana pancakes.  I throw frozen pieces of banana into a smoothie almost every morning, it's like flavored ice.   They thaw quickly and mush up or chop well for pancakes and muffins.  I've always got a rotating supply of fresh and frozen bananas, all types as we get a lot of the small, sweeter ones down here.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
I hate just iceberg lettuce in a salad so I buy mixed baby greens or leaf lettuce too and we just can't finish it all. Heck, we can't finish one head of iceberg very often either.

I do freeze the bananas but we never make enough banana bread to use them up.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"