Author Topic: I'm a new ponder in KS  (Read 2625 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
I'm a new ponder in KS
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »
Hi, I'm a new ponder in Wichita, KS.  I have a tiny 150 gallon stock tank (inground), a skippy filter, and a small waterfall.  I am working on adding some fish and plants in the near future since the temperature is finally warmer.  I started it too late last year around Sept so by the time it was all said and done, Fall was closing in. For mother's day my hubby asked me what I wanted and I told him a bigger pond.  He promised me I'll have it in June.  I can't wait for a bigger one.  I just bought some lotus from Frank (this site) so hopefully I will have them in time for my new pond.  Currently my little pond has a couple of lilies going and today is the first day I saw a pad on the surface so I am very excited.

I hope to learn from all of you ponders and also share some experience in the future.

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a new ponder in KS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »
Welcome to a wonderful hobby.

My Name is Sue...I'm a stocktank addict.   ;D   ;D   ;D

I started with a 35 gallon preform...added a 160 gallon stocktank...then a 90 gal...and then a 750 gallon...then a 550 gallon...and all that is just six short years.  Each year I usually have a couple of 20 gallon tubs nursing along a lily that just can't seem to get started. 

My original 8 goldfish have multiplies for the last couple of years...now the babies are having babies.

I started with 2 water lilies from WalMart and now I'm throwing plants on the compost pile.   :D   :D   :D   I have 6 more I have bought off the forums.

I have a couple of tubs of lotus in the 90 gallon oval tank this summer.  I hope they make it.

and YEP...I'd get another tank tomorrow if I had extra $$$'s and try some tropical lilies.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
Hi Kuan,
I remember very well when I had my first pad-------very exciting
It'll get a lot better from here.
Have fun with your new pond,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »
Welcome.  You'll like it here.  Just a bunch of ponders with good advice. 

Do you have any pics, we'd love to see them.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline water_sprite

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
Beware, ponding is very addicting!  You'll want another pond, then a bigger pond, then an even bigger pond.  And wait til you get to the water lilies!  There are so many beautiful ones.   o(:-)  You can NEVER have enough.

Welcome!

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:45:50 PM »
Welcome!!  I'm just north of you in Osawatomie, KS.  I have 4 ponds here.  Make sure you share pix with us of your exsisting pond, the dig of the new..then the finished product. We love pix of everything!   ;)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
Hi Kuan, Welcome to Stock Tank Heaven! If you take a look around, the members here have built amazing pond thingies out of stock tanks. Ponds, filters, fountains... very creative.

I notice you say you're a new ponder, yet you used a stock tank (smart decision). That's kind of unusual in that most people go for a kit, preform, or liner for their first pond. What made you choose a stock tank? 
Do you have any pics?

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »
Welcome to the family of ponders!

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »
Beware, ponding is very addicting!  You'll want another pond, then a bigger pond, then an even bigger pond.  And wait til you get to the water lilies!  There are so many beautiful ones.   o(:-)  You can NEVER have enough.

Welcome!

Brenda

She's right.  It's a great habit.  

Welcome.  There are great people here and are very helful.  
Alfonso

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 05:59:24 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I just took some pictures of my exsiting pond but need to upload them to a photo site.  It is really bare bones since I started so late last year.  Hubby is so busy now (he has his own landscape business) I hope he can start digging the new pond in June.  I have a 'paper design' that I draw to give him an idea of what I want in this new pond.

Karen - I started with a stock tank instead of a preform kit because I was thinking of overwintering the fish in the pond.  I was also reading up on different pond sites to get some ideas before I went into ponding.  That's also why I have a whiskey barrel skippy filter as well.  Actually the skippy filter is some what of a hybrid.  I have scrubbies, bioballs, quilt batting, and watercress in it.  I clean the quilt batting a couple of times a week (just dunk it in a bucket of water) and my plants love the water. :)  So far so good and I can see the bottom of the pond.

A friend of mine is closing on her house tomorrow and the house has a pond but she doesn't want it.  I'll be going over there to get the fish and lilies this weekend.  She said there are 'a lot' of fish so I have lined up a couple of my friends to share the fish so my pond is not overloaded.  I am getting quite excited about it.

Kuan

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »
"For mother's day my hubby asked me what I wanted and I told him a bigger pond.

Hee hee hee.  Welcome to ponding!!

What a stroke of luck with the gift-fish.  Good way to spend the holiday weekend.

"

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
welcome! Glad your getting the lilies and fish but would have been nice if your friend had shared your love for ponding.  Its nice to have someone to enjoy that with.

tinkster

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
Welcome, Kuan!!!  @O@ @O@

It's good to see some more Kansas ponders on here.  I live in southeast KS...Parsons, to be exact.  I spent two weeks in your lovely city in Aug. of 2006, while my DH was in the Galichia Heart Hospital.  I'm afraid I didn't get to see much of the town, tho.   :-\

You'll love this forum.  There are lots of helpful people here who know about fish, ponds, and plants.  It's a great place to hang out!   O0

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »
Welcome!! Always nice to see a another person from Kansas here. I also have many stock tanks but in ground ponds too!! We started off with a water feature and are now in therapy lol. The people across the street have 2 ponds also and no longer speak to us, it was all are fault! It is the strange case of keeping up the jones, soon the neighborhood should have ponds everwhere {:-P;; o(

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »
Wow, I am glad to see quite a few Kansas ponders here.  Heaven knows I need help in ponding since I'm so new to it.  I might need to travel around KS to see some of your ponds and stocktanks.

My plan of getting the fish and lilies this weekend is busted.  My friend is unable to close her house because the inspection paperwork was turned in late.  So now we wait.  She has a new baby and the pond takes up almost the whole backyard so she and her hubby decided to fill it.   :(  For now, I'll just have to drool over you guys' pond and fish pics until I get mine.  Plus my pond water has gone down quite a bit so I wonder if there is a leak some where in the waterfall.  I love to troubleshoot but moving the big rocks will be difficult.

I bought 1 water hyacinth last weekend for $5.00 (soooo expensive) :-\ so I'm hoping someone will respond to my "Need water hyacinth" post on the exchange forum.  My pond water is turning greener by the day so I know I need some surface coverage until my lilies send up more pads.

Since I just got done running this morning and off today (hooray for 4 day weekend  @O@), I need to find the leak in my waterfall (or may be the skippy filter??).

Happy Ponding everyone!!!  Have a great weekend.

Kuan

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »
Welcome, Kuan!!!  @O@ @O@

It's good to see some more Kansas ponders on here.  I live in southeast KS...Parsons, to be exact.  I spent two weeks in your lovely city in Aug. of 2006, while my DH was in the Galichia Heart Hospital.  I'm afraid I didn't get to see much of the town, tho.   :-\

Sandy, I hope your hubby is OK now.  I live about 4 blocks North of Galichia Heart Hospital.  Next time when you come to Wichita (not hospital stay I hope  :)), let me know, I would like to meet up with you.

Kuan

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »
Kuan,
Trust me, that one water hyacinth will be plenty!  They will spread fast once the water temp warms up.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »
Welcome!

I am originally from Pittsburg, KS, but have more recently lived in Florida and now Texas. I was born in Wichita and I still have relatives there with ponds. I send them extra divisions of waterlilies each spring. Glad to see more KS ponders!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
Hi Kuan and welcome to the group. There are a number of us who have stock tank ponds.
I have several 100 & 150 tanks and a couple of kiddie pools. I use them because I rent. Hopefully one of these days soon we will
get a place bought so I can have an inground pond. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »
Kuan, if you like pictures, we do have a photo forum here, too, with lots of nice shots of lilies and ponds and etc.

Also, you should soon - very soon - have tons of hyacinth.  Especially if your water quality is a bit off... my hyacinth do best in tubs that I never change the water, and not so well in my filtered pond.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
Julles, the water hyacinth I bought was really sad looking.  It was one of the last ones in the store so I figured it must have been there for a while and no one wanted it.  It has brown leaves all around and the whole plant really was sorry looking  :(.  When I got it home, I took out the brown leaves and left the good ones alone and put it in a small bucket of water under a tree for a day then I put it directly into the pond.  The pond water's parameters are great so I wonder if I should put it in a bucket with some dirt??  I'm trying desprately to save it so it will produce many more for me.  LOL!

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
Welcome to the addiction Kuan!

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »

Sandy, I hope your hubby is OK now.  I live about 4 blocks North of Galichia Heart Hospital.  Next time when you come to Wichita (not hospital stay I hope  :)), let me know, I would like to meet up with you.

Kuan

Thanks, Kuan, I think hubby's heart should be OK now.  He had a quadruple bypass and a carotid endarterectomy, so he should be fixed up for a while.  Let me know if you're coming this way, although it may be a while before my pond is cleaned up this year.  I didn't get the pump and Skippy going until about a week ago.  My DH also has dementia, so a lot of things around here don't get done on schedule.  Taking care of him keeps me pretty busy.   :-\

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"