Author Topic: Pond Photos: Then & Now  (Read 5512 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Photos: Then & Now
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
Woohooo.. I love this thread.. come on guys.. the rest of ya post!

My pond is about?? 4 years old now I think.  Its been redone several times.. the first year I didnt like it so I redid it and built my rocks.  but anyway.. heres some of my progression pictures..

Offline tinkster

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
skipping the inbetweens :)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
Wow Tink!  Ya done good!  That's quite a difference.  What kind of time frame are we looking at?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »
Great pictures of the progression of your pond Tink. You have to have the energy of the tazmnian devil.  :)Always enjoy your pictures of pond and garden. Please keep showing them. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
Okay I will bite... The first pic is my pond and yard the day we moved in, the second is after I worked on the yard and greened it up the third was a mid point and the last is the way she looks today Well actually I will post the 'Today' pictures tomorrow but this is close.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
I always enjoy seeing pics of everyone's pond.

Greg- I've seen a tutoral on how you built your pond.  Was it on this forum?

Tink- How many ponds do you have?

Andy- I always enjoy pics of your pond.  It should be in a magazine.

Mikey- My son is always trying to tell me what to do.  He has it all wrong.
Alfonso

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Love this thread. I'll give it a try. :) My pond is 4 years old this year.
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Here are a couple more. Hope you enjoy. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 06:09:26 AM »
All of your ponds are so beautiful. I look at these pictures and can only dream about how my pond could maybe look. With my pond only a year old, didn't think I had anything to show.

Then I stumbled across the 1st pic and thought even a year can make a difference.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
Everyone has done an amazing job.  O0

Mikey and Tink have especially been busy with plant collecting, wow.

Mikey, I think you should be glad those overalls don't fit. They are the most unflattering garments known to man....;)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
As promised the "today" shot
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
MCP & Diane: Those photos reveal a major transformation.....not to mention a lot of work in doing so.  Great job! 

Andy: What a change from what appears to be a mud-hole to a well landscaped and very natural looking pond that any duck would be happy to play in.  If I recall correctly you keep game fish in there......which attracts the local fishermen.....

I don't know about the rest of you but after I built our pond the phrase, "Build it and they will come" became true.  Even though I live in a suburban area that looks like a concrete jungle from above, many forms of wildlife quickly found my little oasis and have become frequent visitors.....  Although I admit I could do without the Egrets and Herons...

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »
Thanks Mikey, it was and is a labor of love and each year gets better than the last. 
    MCP and Diane I agree with Mikey, Major work Major job well done! I especially love the hills/mountains in the background! adss a certain flavor to the whole pond experience....
    Mikey I have been getting the same problem. Herons and egrets!! Ugh, a Blue heron snatched one of my bream right off her bed. I am going to give him/her a bright orange butt too (paintball). Seems the clearer the water gets the more  'visitors' I get!!

Andy

Oops Thanks Karen I did forget.... LOL here it is
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:05:09 PM by El Jefe »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 06:46:28 PM »
Ok, I found the pic from July 1999, we built the pond in May of 1999.  So it has been nine years for ours.  The newest pic, I took this afternoon. 

All the transformations are just amazing! 

Crazyfishlady, you made a hugh difference in ONE year! 

Andy, I still think you are taking pics of the city park, your yard is amazing, just beautiful and green, green, green!!!

Mikey, thanks for starting this thread.  I dug out all my old pics and enjoyed going through them today.

Come on folks, let's see more.

Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
Mikey, you are correct, my pond is full of native fish. Caught a few of the babies out and about.... (see pic below)

Well Karen if Imitation is the best form of flattery you should be flattered. Ever since I saw yours I strived to make mine like yours. I still love the way it looks. Any more deer problems?

Andy

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Andy, no deer in the pond recently, but they did eat my burning bushes :blowup:

Think you forgot to attach the pic of your baby fish. :redface:

Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:04 PM »
So tired I forgot... LOL it is in there now.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
Lets keep this going.  O0
Alfonso

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
Wow!  I am totally jealous of all the beautiful ponds.  I hope someday my pond area will look as wonderful as yours.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
So far everyone's done so much work to make their pond and gardens so beautiful and enchanting.  I like this thread of befores and afters.  I'm going to have to try to find some before pics.  Definitely a big difference.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »
I came across another scanned "before" photo.  This photo was taken from the roof of the garage.  I can't take roof shots of the pond anymore because I can no longer see it due to the plant growth....  I believe that shortly after taking this photo I put the EPDM liner down.  That dead looking plant on the right side of the pond is a banana with severe frost damage due to an unusually cold January.

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »
Mikey- That pic made me realize how big your pond really is.  Wow.  Is that black container your filter? 
Alfonso

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
That is a settleing tank that I use to bleed off the fish poop.  I don't have a filter per se.  Back when I built this there was a lot of discussion of "veggie" filters and that was the route I took.....and regret taking...  ::) 

Converting it to a Skippy is on my things to do list  {:-P;;  My only concern at this point about a Skippy conversion is that the water would be coming from on top with the pipe then going to the bottom and I don't know how well this will work.  I don't relish the idea of digging out around the stock tank and putting it through the side....  In addition, I have a venturi in that pipe going into the stock tank and it does a great job of oxygenating the water.  I wonder if it would even work if I extended that pipe down to the bottom of the stock tank.  I think I'm waiting for a bolt of lightening to hit me and help me re-think what I should do.....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:43:57 PM by Mikey »

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
wow.. pretty everyone.... come on the rest of you post your ponds.. theres so many of you here that I have no clue what your ponds look like..  show!!! :)

Mikey.. my pond is starting its 4 year this year. My plants have identity crisis they are moved so much. :)

Landley.. I have 4 ponds and various whiskey barrel liners in the ground..  addicted :)

tinkster
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:26:41 PM by tinkster »

Offline landey1230

• Members
  • Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »
Mikey-If that has been working for you all these years, I would leave it.  Looks great. 
Alfonso

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
Mikey,  On the skippy I built in Cat City, the water comes from the pump, over the top of the stocktank and down to the bottom and exits at an angle.  It works well, the water swirls in the bottom, no filter media there, rises up through various levels of media and light grate and then flows out the top to the falls. The top of it is full of plants and I've cleaned it out twice in 2 or 3 years and the second time was because the gunk drain was leaking.  I don't think you have to clean the plants out very often in Calif weather.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"