Author Topic: spell checker  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Birdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
spell checker
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:28:31 AM »
Is there a spell checker on this forum?
Steve Joneli
High desert Koi Ponds
541-408-3317
www.highdesertkoi.com

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: spell checker
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »
Not to my knowledge . But I  wish if there is one , some one would show this Dummy how to use it. If there is not one, I hope some one puts one on, so this Dummy will not make so many spelling errors. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline carver

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:10:44 AM »
This forum supports spell check but the server must support it too...
if I misspell something there is a red line drawn under the offending word. I simply right mouse click on that word for a list of suggested spellings. If you are not seeing this I would have to guess it has something to do with settings under your control or your web browser because I do get an underline under misspelled words..

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »
Like Carver said.  O0

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »
If I recall correctly, Sean enabled the spell checker once and it caused a number of problems for people and he then disabled it and suggested members download a spell checker.  Was it from Microsoft??  In any event, I downloaded it and it works great on all forums and all forms you complete on-line.  You simply right click and do the spell check.  Pretty slick.  Perhaps someone has the link since I forgot where it came from.....  
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Mrs_Bouquet

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
Is there a spell checker on this forum?

What do you need a spell checker for dear, you usually use me lol

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
There are two spell check options. Firstly, Mozilla Firefox has one built into their software and it will always spell check any form field you type into. I use Firefox exclusively at home.

For Internet Explorer, there is a spell checker caller IE Spell, you can download it at http://www.download.com/ieSpell/3000-12772_4-10208550.html?part=dl-ieSpell&subj=uo&tag=button&cdlPid=10603528

The host server that we use does not support the spell checking feature that is written into this forum software so the options above are your best line of defense.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
I get the red line thing as well and was wondering if that's the one in the Firefox software. Carver, are you using Firefox?
It's been very convenient, because I've never been able to spell convenient.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Birdman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
I have some sort of spell checker I down loaded for other forums.  But didn't see it here.  I just did the right click thing and it worked.  Thank you for the help.
Steve Joneli
High desert Koi Ponds
541-408-3317
www.highdesertkoi.com

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
Yep it's a cinch.  I just right click and there it is.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline carver

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:20 AM »
I get the red line thing as well and was wondering if that's the one in the Firefox software. Carver, are you using Firefox?
It's been very convenient, because I've never been able to spell convenient.

Yes I am using Firefox.

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:02:12 PM »
Karen,
I have trouble with that word too!!!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
Well, I just downloaded it, and can't get it to run.  What are you supposed to do?  I hit "F7" but nothing happened, tried "selecting" the misspelled word, tried right click... nuttin.'     

Offline carver

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
Well, I just downloaded it, and can't get it to run.  What are you supposed to do?  I hit "F7" but nothing happened, tried "selecting" the misspelled word, tried right click... nuttin.'     

Jules... What did you download?

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
 ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer

Introduction

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

The program installs as a new button in the IE toolbar (as well as a new menu item under "Tools") - after filling in a form, just hit the ieSpell button and it pops up a dialog, similar to the MS Word spell check. ieSpell also works (right-click menu only) on other IE based browsers such as SlimBrowser, CrazyBrowser, MSN, MyIE, etc.

ieSpell is not spyware or adware. It's free for personal use only. All other use requires a commercial license. See Licensing for more information.
If you find ieSpell useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation. Your donations will help to support its future development. Thank you!

Features

* Completely standalone spell checker for your web browser. Does not require Microsoft Office or any other third party components.
    * Integrates flawlessly with Internet Explorer and other IE based browsers.
    * Three ways to start the spell check; via the right click context menu, the toolbar or the menu bar.
    * Supports a wide range of web applications including simple text forms, rich text editors, forums, blogs, webmail (including Outlook Web Access and Lotus iNotes) and more!
    * Spell check in any of the 3 variants (US, UK and Canadian) of the English Language!
    * Suggestions are sorted by the degree of closeness with the misspelled word.
    * Intelligent suggesting for misspelled words using typographic “looks like” matching.
    * Easily add/remove your personal words in ieSpell via an intuitive user interface!
    * Organise your personal words in individual custom dictionaries! Share them with your friends and co-workers over the network!
    * Integrates with Microsoft Office's proofing tools. Have ieSpell share the same copy of the custom dictionary so that when you add/remove your personal words in ieSpell, the same is reflected in Microsoft Office and vice versa!
    * ieSpell suggested a word that you are not familiar with? Look up its meaning in an online dictionary!
    * Powerful API for web application developers.
          o Force users to spell check the document before submission.
          o Ignore certain text fields.
          o Refuse a form submission if the user cancels the spell check!
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
THAT's what I downloaded.  But I still can't get it to work, and can't find it by right-clicking or under "tools."  I'd like it to work, because whatever system came with my computer does NOT work - it runs Spell Check, and then says everything's correct, when it could be totally full of mistakes!

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
Minimum system requirements:

* Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP
    * Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher
    * 7 MB of free disk space (More if you install the optional language packs)

Installation instructions:

* Click on the download link above.
    * Choose "Open this file from its current location" and click on the "OK" button when prompted.
    * When the installation has completed, restart your browser (if its open) and you should find a new menu item called "ieSpell" under the "Tools" menu, as well as a new icon on your toolbar. Note that the toolbar icon will only appear if you have not customized your toolbar before. If you have customized your toolbar before, you will have to manually select the icon in the "Customize Toolbar" dialog.
    * For existing users, you do not have to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

Usage instructions:

* If you are using Internet Explorer, you can access ieSpell in one of the following three ways:
          o Under the "Tools" menu, click on "ieSpell" item to start the spelling check or click on the "ieSpell Options" to configure ieSpell.
          o Click on the ieSpell toolbar button (if enabled) to activate the spelling check.
          o Right click in the browser and in the menu that appears, click on the "ieSpell" item to start the spelling check or click on the "ieSpell Options" to configure ieSpell.

* If you are using a browser based on the IE engine (e.g. AOL, MSN, NetCaptor, NeoPlanet, etc), then only the last option (i.e. using the right-click menu) is available to you.

Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline louis

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
I use IE Spell and love it. it will only work in text boxes such as the box i am in now. you have to right click anywhere in the area that you are typing and in the menue will be "CHECK SPELLING" works fine.

lou

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"