Author Topic: Pond? What pond??  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Red

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond? What pond??
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:37:13 AM »
Just back from a week away.  I thought I had a bit of time to get a net rigged up since we haven't had a frost yet.  But NoOo!
Makes for a pretty scene at least  :)

That doesn't look so bad...

Hope these links work.
Cheers!
Jim
Sorry, couldn't seem to upload the live links.  Cut n paste is clunky but it works ;)

Jim

"Edited to show photo's"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:04:06 PM by Sean »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond? What pond??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:39:25 AM »
Oh no. Leaves galore. Pretty though. I swear that when there is a bad wind, I have leaves blowing in the pond from other states.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
Doncha just hate those trees that drop all their leaves at once and all in your pond?  We have bradford pears around our pond and they are the last to drop their leaves, but they do it all at once.  Go out in the morning and they all have all their leaves.  Come back in the afternoon and the trees are all bare and the pond is full!

Good luck getting them all out!  They do make for some interesting photos tho, don't they?

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:44:59 PM »
ROFL RED!  I am so laughing.. your paranoia with dirt in your pond must be more than you can handle right now : lol lol lol lol @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@

Sure hope all the emocotions show up to let ya know how much I am laughing :)  does look beautiful though

tinkster

Offline Red

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:05:58 PM »
LOL   I thought you'd like that, Tink.  BTW it ain't dirt so it's OK ;)  they actually scoop out of the pond fairly nicely but clearing the stream is a nasty chore.  I think about half have fallen so the fun continues.

Esther, they are self inflicted, we have several huge birch and just over the pond is a stand of maple that kept everything out of the pond all summer but now I pay.

And thanks to the "editor" for getting the links to show :)

See y'all in the chat soon!
Jim

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 08:37:57 PM »
Oh no Mr. Bill!   >:(-  >:(
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Time to get that skimmer working right, looks like it's loafing...

Is it fall yet?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 12:22:39 AM »
Oh, man what a mess.....I feel for you.  I think I will go ahead and put my net on tomorrow.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:15:43 AM »
Red I will not raze you quite as much as Tink but just got to a little bit after hearing all your comments about dirt in the pond. @O@ @O@ @O@ This has to be just killing you. Think of all the decaying leaves and what a algae bloom they could cause. In all seriousness I do feel gor you and what a chore will be to get them all scooped out. I did enjoy pictures of your pond even though We couldn't see it.They do make for same pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing and hope to chat with you soon. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Sandyd

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 09:52:34 AM »
Oh my.

Hope they don't color your water brown with tannins.

It is a pretty picture though.

I am so glad that I put a net over my pond early this year because that will happen to me also.  Years past, I just had to scoop as the maple overloaded my skimmer and it wasn't any fun with a 4.5 foot deep pond.  Retro bottom drain got plugged and everything.

Offline Red

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 07:12:40 PM »
Actually, it's not all that bad.   We are pretty much into refrigeration-range temps so the rotting is a fairly slow process and I'll be yanking the fish next weekend anyway.  I think it's too cold for the algae even; it seems to be sluffing off the surfaces as I bail the leaves out. For two weeks it's hardly worth fighting with a net.

In the spring I'll have to drain and hose things down anyway.

Some of the pigment does seem to have leached out of the leaves tho.  I brought in a couple gallons to start up a tropical tank for my DW and it had an interesting pink hue.

So, that's pretty much it for the pond here this year.  Next year a little more digging ('cause that's what we do) and with any luck a skimmer of some kind.  It would be inundated by all the leaves too but I think through the summer it will reduce the upkeep.

Later!
Dirtless Red ;)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 04:19:06 AM »
Whoa!  That is a lot of leaves!   :P

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 07:16:42 AM »
Oh Nooooo  I think I'd just sell the house  ;)  I'm getting my net out for sure!
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"