Author Topic: HOW do you put a net on a pond?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
HOW do you put a net on a pond?
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:18:44 AM »
I had another fish jump out to its doom yesterday - the third in two months (since expanding the pond and giving them all that room to get a running start  :( ).

I do have some black bird netting from Home Depot.

But if I put it over the pond, it will drape down onto the surface of the water.  Then how do you keep the fish from becoming entangled in it?  How do you keep it in place?  What about tall plants in the middle of the pond? 

I don't have more than 18" so all around the pond (all flagstone), and sure hate to put bricks or boards to hold the netting in place... looks bad, and would really cut down where you can walk.  What else can you do to hold the net?

Maybe something else???   PVC frames with plastic lattice, spray painted black?  But that would cut down on visibility for viewing the fish.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: HOW do you put a net on a pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:44:51 AM »
Lots of different ideas - they all equate to tent. Fill a coffee can with concrete and a pole in the middle - voila! you have a tent pole that doesn't have to poke through the liner.
Netting over a pond does reduce visibility - but mostly for cameras. My camera wants to focus on the net, instead of the pond below. The human eye is more discerning. You will shortly not notice it.

My personal belief is that jumping is a character trait of some fish. Jumpers are going to jump when startled. When you are looking to buy a fish, look for the "divers".
Some fish will jump when startled. Some fish will dive to the bottom. The divers will consistently dive. The jumpers will consistently jump. The jumpers don't live long.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »
Good idea up there, about the coffee can/tent. O0  I have a frame on one pond to keep the net off the plants and out of the water.  In the other pond, I use the rocks to keep it pulled tight.  The bunch of Lousiana iris on the back corner make a tent pole type effect without mushing them too much.  The black netting eventually becomes invisible to your eye.  I have a green net on the othe rpond and I have to remove that one to see the fish.  The green jumps out a lot more than the black.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
The netting over my 1/4 pie shape pond is held up by the corner walls.  I also have horsetail reed growing on one corner which also holds the net up.  On the other corner I have a potted Japanese maple on the ledge of the pond hold the net up.  This is not ideal for the maple but it works. 

I'm thinking if you want attractive poles to hold up your netting use bamboo poles for Sunbeams idea.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
After toying with the idea, I think what I will do (until I think of something better, which happens when you sleep on an idea  ;) ) is to build a set of rectangular frames with PVC pipe (spray painted black), and sew netting onto the frames.  The net should be taught enough to not drape onto the surface of the water.

Since my pond is only 3' wide, I think this will work.  Making a set of frames, rather than trying to cover the pond with one huge frame, will allow me to move sections if need be, to avoid areas with tall plants, and etc.  They will also sit right above the water - maybe 3"-4" which will help prevent jumping too far out of the water.

I worked it out this afternoon - need 7 pieces of PVC, each 12' long.  Thank gosh for the good old Home Depot Christmas gift cards!  :D

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
You will find it frustrating to try to sew the bird netting. ITs not cut very precisely.
Go to a computer store and get black cable ties. They are easier to use, and already the right color. :)

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 04:16:02 PM »
Copper Trellises work as well does a bamboo in the center (tent), I will try to find a pic of both.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »
OMG, CoolShades... your pics make me wonder... with that net on the pond, will dragonflies and birds and etc. be able to get to the water??

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »
OMG, CoolShades... your pics make me wonder... with that net on the pond, will dragonflies and birds and etc. be able to get to the water??

That is the problem I have had, Julles.  I only use netting in the fall for the leaves as birds and netting do not get along very well at my pond.  I have multiple levels and streams and no matter how securely I place a net, birds find a way under and can't find a way out.  Never a good result... :(  My pond is surrounded by woods, so I have to cover for a couple of months, but the rest of the time I have to risk leaving it uncovered.

Steve

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"