Author Topic: Some of my new Clematis  (Read 2079 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Some of my new Clematis
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:20:09 AM »
New for this year, or first blooming this year

C. macropetala 'Blue Bird'

C. alpina 'Ruby'

C. 'Piilu'

C. integrifolia

Not blooming but nice foliage C. recta purpurea

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some of my new Clematis
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:57 AM »
Fabulous!  Now I know what mine are suppose to look like  :D  You have the best green thumb for clematis. 

I'm trying to follow your generous advice.  Even though my clematis are better than before with your directions I'm embarrassed to say your first year plants look way better than my 4th year vines.

Can't wait to see the rest of your collection!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
Quite nice!  The center of 'Pilu' reminds me of a spider... :o

I lost my favorite clematis this year.  It had been a pot for about 5 years and this year it didn't make an appearance.... :(  Looked fine as I recall last year.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:47:09 PM »
Lookin' good!

Blue Bird is the first one I ever had at the farm.  It met with an accident late last fall when the cats tried to climb it and pulled it and the trellis down into one big knotted ball.  I had to cut it back and it is coming back fine this spring, but I won't have a trellis ready for it this year with all the other things that have been happening.  I'll probably have to cut it back again when it is done blooming this spring to give myself a bit more time to get things fixed.  It is nice and grows in partial shade well, just not long lived for blooms.

I have a few others that get cut back each fall, however their names escape me.  Bloom summer to fall and for longer periods of time compared to Blue Bird which is spring only.

Your photos are very nice and I especially like C. 'Piilu' which reminds me of one I have.

Bart

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:27:10 PM »
I WANT THAT PURPLE LEAFED ONE!  8-)~
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »
Very Pretty ! I like the purple leaves on the C. recta purpurea. What color is the flower on it?
bonnie

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
You are the Clematis Queen LeeAnne! :)

I also LOVE the C. recta purpurea, very different foilage.

Thanks for sharing your beauties.....

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
 o(:-) I love "Blue Bird" How is it for Hardieness? I need to search for one.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:59:52 PM »
LeeAnne is the expert, but I can tell you that Blue Bird is on the north side of the farm house and we are in zone 3 here so you should have no problem with it there.

Bart

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
Gorgeous Clematis, LeeAnne. They sure are blooming nicely for you.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
Dang Joyce, I've just seen it at half a dozen garden sales cheap in a four inch pot that would be easy to ship, I'll keep an eye out but most of the sales are done.

Edelwiess Perennials is who grows it. They do have a website. The flower is white. There is a newer one with even redder foliage. You cut it back hard after bloom and it grows up again redder and blooms again.

Blue Bird is very very hardy. The breeder is from Bart's neck of the woods, well plains ;)

Thanks for the praise but .....I take pictures close up of the blooms because the plants are nothing special. They are all small and scraggly because it takes several years for Clematis to do anything. I keep cutting them back and cutting them back to get more and more vines to come up from the crown. If I stood back the took pictures from across the yard you would not see these plants! I've only got one big lush vine covered with blooms.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »
I also live in an area where Clematis are grown commercially and all the nurseries sell them in gallon pots. Oregon is only behind Florida and California for growing of nursery stock and only behind California for woody ornamental nursery stock and I'm surrounded by wholesale and retail specialty nurseries. I rarely buy mail order.

I know from the Clematis Forum at Garden Web that many others must buy them in tiny 3" or 4" pots by mail order for more than I pay for gallons. 

Mine are years ahead of theirs when I buy them.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:37 PM »
those are pretty!  I was doing some of the things yoiu said last year for my clematis and one was doing so super good.. It was unbelieveable.  it wsa about 3 ft tall and covered wtih flowers from top to bottom and many more blooms to open.  then all of a sudden I notice the vine turning black at the bottom , then working its way up now the leaves and vine on the lower plant are black and al lthe blooms that were open and buds on the top are hanging over wilted.. I dont know what to do ecxept to watch it die :(

tinkster

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »
Tink, cut that part off. Sadly, Clematis do this sometimes. It is very annoying but they do seem to outgrow it. Cut it off as low as possible. Just the affected part. Give it a dose of fertilizer and keep it watered and it will grow back.

This is the reason why one should look for plants with more than one stem when buying and
cut them back hard when planting and plant them deeper than they are in the pot when planting.

They will do this :( Clematis wilt.

Plants with only one vine are hard to cut back but often it makes them sprout two or three more up from the roots.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »
Tink, my Piilu has wilted the flower pictured above and several buds and several stems are totally limp and dying.  >:(

The good news is that the vines do outgrow it. It isn't fatal, just annoying as hell.

Clematis are NOT instant gratification plants. One must have patience.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
thanks.. I sure hope mine will.. do you remember last year when I asked you this same question.. this is on the same plant.  I had to cut one limb totally away last year and now all it had was one limb left.  Should I still cut it back to the root??  I am afraid without another stem that its a gooner or might be so long in recovering it will get lost.  It was in a place that really needs something there.. I am gonna have to put a morning glory there maybe :)

tinkster

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:40 PM »
We have a problem with Clematis and bunnies. I found honeysuckle to be a great alternative. It is thicker and woodier plus it blooms longer.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
They do sprout up from the crown if the crown was planted deep. Wilted tissue does not resprout.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"