Author Topic: the Heating season has begun  (Read 2237 times)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
the Heating season has begun
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
The firewood is stacked for the year.
the walnut on the left is what I stacked today and yesterday.
Half of the second pic I stacked today.
I also stacked about 1/2 cord in the garage today.
My back feels fine, but my left hand hurts like hell!
I keep forgetting that I'm not 30 ;D

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: the Heating season has begun
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 06:24:02 PM »
Is that a supplement to other means of heating or is that your primary source?  Looks like a lot of work stacking all that wood.  It makes a nice wall (8:-)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »
You are burning walnut? My word, around here walnut is treasured for furniture construction.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:08:50 PM »
Actually Mike, I have always wanted a stacked wood fence. I have had half of it for several years now. The walnut is new. Eventually I will burn it, but it will always be replaced to maintain my wood fence.
Last year my furnace never came on with the exception of an hour in the fall to make sure it was ready to use.
this walnut came down in a storm this summer in my brothers back yard. this is about half of it. He tried to sell the big logs, but because it came from the city, noone wanted it.
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:32:18 AM »
 I was suprised also when I see you were burning walnut. I am a Forester and I buy a lot of walnut to be cut at our sawmill for furniture. When you said it was cut from a tree that had been blown down in city it explained a lot. Tress grown in yards tend to have  much hardware in them. by hardware I mean nails from fences, bird houses, tree houses, clothes lines,etc. This hardware does  much damage to our band saws if it is not found in time. Looks like you are well on your way to having a warm winter. Thanks for sharing. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
mcp,
That is exactly what we were told by the buyers.
The walnut is for the following year.

Steve

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 09:02:18 PM »
So that is the final product of what we saw when we visited you! Looks great.  (8:-)

We have a few Baby Black Walnuts that we've been lucky enough to enjoy from seed. It's funny where you find the seeds- on windowsills, corners, doorsills, etc. The squirrels do it.

I've fallen in love with them, what a beautiful tree!

We don't heat our house with wood, but we love burning the dead branches in our fire pit. Had a nice fire tonight with Walnut, Birch, Oak, & Cherry. I smell pretty good right now   :D.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »
Hey, wait a minute,  {-), you're not supposed to be doing that.  {-) &-)
You're supposed to be resting your back!  >:(

Go rest!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 04:21:50 AM »
 :o That is alot of wood and work.  Does make a cool looking fence though.  I bet that walnut will smell wonderful when burning.  We had a black walnut once, still one in the neighbors house behind ours.  This one was just in a bad location.  Right between the houses, constently loosing branches or the walnuts.   The walnuts would fall and land in the gutters, or walk out the door  and step on one, and nearly fall down.  We finally had enough of it and cut it down.

Kimberly

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:01:37 AM »
I love the stacked wood fence and that musta been a LOT of work!  (Especially with a bad back . . . . can we assume that's feeling better?) 

Our fireplace isn't efficient enough to heat the whole house . . . the house wasn't built that way.  We do, however, have 3 furnaces so we can heat just the part of the house that we are in at any time.  That saves some money.  I still love a good fire in the fireplace . . . or the fire pit outside!

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 07:23:40 AM »
OK, I'm gonna start taking it easy riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight NOW! ;) ;D
Thanks, I love the stacked wood fence too.
Actually the stacking wasn't hard, just tedius.
My back is is feeling better. I still know that it's there, but better. I'm gonna go see a chiropracter this week to see if it is an adjustment thing or not. (probably not)
I have a natural gas furnace for the house, and another for the garage if I choose to use them. I do use the one in the garage if I have things to do out there.

Steve

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »
Makes me appreciate my new pellet stove even more  @O@

We have a large supply of wood for a stove, but decided when we had to replace the stove to go with pellet..I love it!  Don't have to cook at night and even temperature during the day.  We can be gone all day and not have my plants get frostbite in the window this winter because the house got to cold...
Mary

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 05:49:39 PM »
I looked into a pellet stove and some of my friends have them. Between the cost of the stove and the cost of the pellets and the cost of replacement parts when they wear out, I'd rather turn up the thermostat on the furnace.
Besides, I love all that goes into a nice wood fire.
It's good for the body and good for the soul.

Steve

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 07:14:16 PM »
Not to mention good for man's best friend.  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »
Nothing quite like a wood burning fireplace.  Yours looks very inviting :)  Our house doesn't have a fireplace and instead we have a little outdoor portable fire pit that I have been using for the last few weeks.  It's still comfortable outside at night with a long-sleeve shirt on.  I enjoy a nice little fire while sipping a cup of hot cappuccino while listening to nighttime talk radio.  We burned a few marshmallows in it tonight (8:-) 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"