Author Topic: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated July - Face to Face!!  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Annette, how are they today?  Do you think you can feed them sugar water???  Has the mother come back at all? 

Dang it, now I'm worried about them.   :'(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 10 Sad News :(
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »
Looking back at the events of last day I guess Mother Nature had a plan.  :'( :'( :'(

The baby Hum that kept on jumping out must have done it for a reason.  It had to be a reflex that made it do it.  It was not growing and smaller by a third than its sibling.  Also hatched too early.  After rescuing it 3 times it stopped jumping out of the nest.  About an hour later we checked this poor sweetie out and it hadn't moved from the position I left it in.   :'(  Its poor little body was too tired to go on. 

I'm guessing the jumping was a reflex to remove itself from the nest to save the other babe from disease or contamination.  Between the 2nd and third time it jumped I did try to feed it warm sugar water with a small feeder syringe I used to use for my cockatiels when they were babes.  It wouldn't eat or move its tongue.  Not a good sign.

Tonight I finally saw Momma come back and feed her only babe.  I was so worried.  Since I've been busy the past few days I haven't seen her at all.  She came in and fed Babe very quickly and disappears again.  At least she hasn't given up.  At least the stronger babe is still growing.  the emerald green feathers can be seen on its back.

I'm sorry for such sad news and I hope young ones who read this post understand how nature takes care of its own.  Kamala, I hope your DD's will continue to follow the Hum family.  My family and I enjoy following the events of this marvelous family.  We're keeping our hopes high for seeing this baby hummingbird grow up and fly away to start its own family.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »
Sandye, I checked all kinds of hummingbird websites and they say that it is very difficult if not impossible to raise the babies with out the Momma.  They are really too tiny to handle. 

When I watch the Momma feed her babes it must be a challenge for her not to push her long narrow beak too hard into the babes mouths.  She's quick at it and then she flies off....hopefully looking for more food.  She definitely doesn't sit on the nest anymore.  DH checks every morning before he goes to work and he hasn't seen her there lately.

The single babe does have more room now though.

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the update, Annette. I feel better knowing that the Momma is still taking care of the stronger baby.  It sounds like the small one was doomed from the start and just wasn't meant to make it, since he couldn't eat when you tried it.  :'(  Nature does seem to be cruel sometimes.

Keep us updated with pictures of Babe.  We'll pray that she/he makes it.  :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
What an amazing ride.  I have really enjoyed following all the post on your Hums.  Just too cute.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »
Fascinating (and so sad) how that tiny bird was trying to get out of the nest.

I enjoy your pics.  Thanks for keeping us posted.

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 12 Fat and Fluffy!
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »
We've caught Momma Hum flitting in to feed the surviving Babe and then she's gone...I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to do the proper stalking of the nest  :D  But it's good to see Babe plumping up and its back is getting a greener shine to it.  Babe is moving alot and fluffing the wings and pushing its tail end up for a wiggle.  Really cute.  You can see the beak is getting longer.

o(:-) Pretty soon Babe will be flying away but for now we will enjoy this little package of joy.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
What a great dairy!  I have had hummers too, but sad endings. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »
Thanks Jerry!

It seems like our lives have been on hold since the arrival of this family but I think that at the rate this little guy has been growing, it will soon be on its way.  I'm trying to get the green color we can see in person onto photo.  This is the best I can get it but it's warming to the heart to see the color.  As if it's the assurance it is a Costa Hummingbird.  :)

o(:-)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
This post has been so interesting Annette.  Thanks for giving us the chance to follow along.  emm

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
What an amazing journey for your family. I have enjoyed really enjoyed it too.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 16 Hello Babe!
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »
It's been a wild weekend but we kept Babe in mind.  My DD graduated from UCI on Saturday!!  @O@  We partied all weekend, day and night, with family and friends!  But Babe was the talk of the party.  Momma Hum got used to all the activities and noise and kept stopping by to feed Babe.  I thought the baby would be flying by now but we get to stalk the cutie for a few more days I'm sure.  It's growing and the eyes are wide opened!  What a looker!

It's so amazing to watch Momma feed Babe. 

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 01:02:12 PM »
I've so enjoyed this thread Annette.  Many congratulations to your daughter on her achievement O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
Thank you Kaz!  o(:-)

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
Oh... forgot to mention... I was shocked to see you have a daughter that age... you look way too youthful girl :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
Thanks!  Then I won't tell you about her older brother  {:-P;;  lol

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
i too, have really enjoyed this journey in the baby hummingbirds life.  i am especially enthralled with the nest and how it was made.  such interesting colors too.  thanks for the national geographic moment.  i feel like i was there.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
Annette, Thanks so much for the roller-coaster photo journal. It's been happy, sad, then happy again. Your photos are just terrific.

One question. I'm not exactly sure when I look at the pics, what 'scale' it's in. How large would you say the nest is? And how would you describe the size/color of the original eggs? It's hard to tell from the pics. Not that they're bad pics (they're great), but with such close-ups its sometimes hard to perceive the correct scale.
I am asking that because I have a small nest with a small egg in it, but don't know how to identify it.

Thanks again for the journal.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:22:46 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
Thanks Ladybug for the compliment.  I feel a bit sad that some day very soon that Babe will fly away not know, maybe not wanting to know, how much this hummingbird family affected our lives.  We'll miss opening the sliding door and looking up to see the nest filled with wonder.

Great question Karen.  The eggs were smaller than a jelly bean.  Very white in color and very fragile.  When the babies hatched the wind carried the egg shells away!  The nest would be small in my average size hand.  It's about as deep as maybe 3/4".  It's also very soft in structure.  Made of small pieces of dried grasses wound together by spiderwebs.  Covered with blue gray paint chips from my trellis!  The opening the baby sits in is just a bit larger than the diameter of a quarter.

When I take the photos my camera lens telescope is about 2-3" away from the nest or bird.  Photos of Momma were of course taken with a zoom about 5' away.  I hope the photos share the difference in scale.  The last 2 photos are of 2 other hum nests in backyard.  I didn't want to freak out Babe with all the objects I was using to find that scale photo.  :D

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing your baby hummers with us.  Your photos have been a treat.
Ruth
Ruth

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 19 Winging it!
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 05:13:41 PM »
Baby Hum is still growing!  Feathers are maturing and getting longer.  Babe is not happy about the camera poking around but at least not too scared to jump.  :o

The prerequisite hummingbird bill is growing longer and Momma has a more difficult time feeding Babe.  Babe is sitting higher in the nest and looks around to check out the silly humans and the surroundings.  ;D  But isn't she/he a looker?!

Offline Sonny

• Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 19 Winging It!
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »
What a great experience.   O0  And so nice of you and your family to accommodate the hummers.  You'll miss 'em when they're gone but it will have been rewarding I'm sure.   :)
Jim

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »
I love the last two pictures, Annette...where Babe's little wings are finally showing and he/she looks like he/she's finally ready to try flying!   @O@ @O@   Adorable!   o(:-)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 06:40:57 AM »
Annette, thanks for posting the scale pics & description. It is completely amazing how tiny that little nest is!
The nest in my Yew is much larger than that, must be something else. But wow, what an adorable baby you have. The last pic is precious. o(:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 07:02:32 AM »
This month's Birds and Blooms has a large section about Hummingbirds. One of the stories describes the eggs as being about the size of a pea. Hard to imagine.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 21 Empty Nesters!
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
Well I've been busy the past couple of days to update this post.  Basically, stalking Hums is time consuming!!  :D ;D

Two days ago Babes finally climbed up and onto the rim of the nest to sit awhile.  He/she tested the wings, preened and waggled the tail.  We were mesmerized.  We knew our days with this Hum Family were sure to come to an end soon.  Babes would climb out onto the rim and then jump back into the cozy nest.  Momma came by more often it seems (but then again we, DD, DH, DS and I,  had turns watching out for Babes and constantly were updated on the going-ons) to feed Babes.

Yesterday Babes finally got brave enough to venture out onto the string of lights!  @O@

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: My Humkids made it alive!!! Updated June 21 Empty-Nesters!!
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2008, 12:08:51 PM »
Babes ventured onto the string lights wire by flying the hummingbird signature style.  She/he beat her/his wings while feeling along the length of the wire with its feet, stopping before and after each light casing.

Most of the photos at this point are taken with a zoom from a distance of maybe 15 feet.  Didn't want to frighten Babes off its first high wire act!  {nono}

Photos are grainy but gives you an idea of how fanatic we are.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »
This first time out of the nest trip, that we know of, probably took about 10 minutes for Babe to achieve.  When Babes got to a high point on the light strand, 4 lights, she/he started crying sharp piercing squeaks and motioning its bill.  Momma must have been close by.  She buzzed in and fed Babes quickly, on the wire, then flew off leaving Babes in a moment of "that's it?!?!"

The last photo here I barely got a shot of Momma buzzing away, towards the left, while Babes is watching.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 12:18:32 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »
Still yesterday's excitement here:

Babes made it back to the nest the same way he/she went up the wire.  Momma came back often to feed and probably tried to encourage Babes to get out of the nest.  I thought Babes was pretty big but besides Momma, Babes is still much smaller!  After Momma left this time Babes was very unhappy.  Her/his bill kept on opening and closing ans we could see how red the inside of the bill and tongue shows.  Babes kept jumping in and out of the nest too.

Last night before I went to bed (midnight) I checked on Babes and the hum was sitting on the other side of the nest high up on the strand of lights.  DD also checked on Babes after her late shift after 1am when she came home.  Yeah, we worried.  ;D

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
This morning, first thing, we ran to the sliding door where we watched Babes for the last couple of days.....Babes was nowhere to be seen!!!  We went outside searched the ground, any place Babes could have flown to, all the light strands around the yard, trees, etc.  Babes has flown away  :'(  But we are happy because that's how it works.

I also found my lily pools messed up by raccoons  >:(- >:(- >:(-  Muddy paw prints and lilies and mud everywhere.  Fixed them up and checked main pond.  While checking around the pond and counting fish I heard sharp squeaks.  I looked around and there was Babes on a palm tree next to the pond, about ten feet from the nest!!!

Excited to see our babe I ran back to the house like a wild woman to get my camera all the while crying out "I found Babes!  She's back!"  As I focused my camera Babes was flying from palm limb to limb in small buzzing spurts.  When I got this photo Babes shot up and over the fence.  I ran to the other side of the palm and caught the sight of Momma flying down from the coral tree in my neighbors backyard to, I hope, Babes.  I though for sure this was the end of this adventure for us.

Well we have sightings in these few short hours and have seen Babes in various perches in our backyard, with Momma nearby.  @O@  Our hearts swell with pride to see this little family grow up.  We'll miss them with mixed emotions.  :'( :) o(:-) Our patio definitely will lose much of its shine after this.  But the memories or priceless.  o(:-)

We are now empty nester in the actual sense of the term.  :P

On an up-beat: I can finally get rid of the poopy blinds!! AND take down MY spider-web ;D

May 8 to June 21....I hope my AP family have all enjoyed this journey as much as we have.  Thank you so much for your support!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:07:44 PM by miguynmkoi »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"