Author Topic: Winterizing tub planter  (Read 1405 times)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winterizing tub planter
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:26:45 PM »
Susan, I hope that you see this,
I have marginals in my tub this year. (thanks Susan) I always bring my marignal plants in from my pond for the winter, but, if I leave this tub sit outside where it is, will they all die?
If I have to dig them all up and plant them inside, I will NEVER do this again.
Now, you all realize that I live in Wisconsin where we have a REAL winter.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winterizing tub planter
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:46:47 AM »
Steve,
I see Imperial taro and dwarf papyrus in there- I would bring a couple of each in so you have starts next spring as they are both tropical and will NOT survive winter....the other plant appears to be a small growing cattail...they are very hardy
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 06:04:16 PM »
I tilt my big containers like that onto either a dolly or a luggage cart and roll them into the garage.  They go dormant, but don't die.  (The taro won't die, not sure about the papyrus.)  Then I wheel them back out in the spring to start again . . . .

Offline Susan

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
Okay, I honestly don't keep up with checking back here as often as I used to. Especially, now that the weather is turning.  :(

Wow, Steve, all them babies did nicely for you. I would do what Teresa said, and plop that container in a garage or basement for the winter. If things don't come back in the spring gimme a holler and I will surely send you some goodies, I usually have more than I know what to do with.  I am getting tired of dragging things into the house and have opted to try letting my taros die back and treat them as bulbs. I am also only keeping small pieces of a few plants that I know grow like gang busters in the spring. The little cattails you can pull a few out and drop them in the pond for the winter, those you probably have to try to kill them to get rid of them. Chop off a few heads of the papyrus and throw them in a small bowl of water, they should root over the winter, just don't let it run dry and you should have no problem. I don't see the sweet flag, I sent you, in this picture, if it survived, it is winter hearty and can be dropped in the pond also.

Susan
Long Island, New York    Zone 7b

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »
Bring them in the garage! Look at it this way- you have nothing to lose. You have a pretty nice garage.

I even had tropical tubers survive my garage. Amazing!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:37:01 PM »
Ok-------------I'll bring em in ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

this weekend is yard clean up anyways.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"