Author Topic: Foolish... What do mink like?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline crazyfishlady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
Foolish... What do mink like?
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
I was was foolish.  :'(

I live more or less in what is now the middle of the city. One block off the main east/west route through the city. We have a billion rabbits, but I didn't think we had raccoon or mink or whatever. Something got all my small goldfish and has scarred the Koi to death. For 2 days they lay motionless on the bottom, like fish sticks.

I put a black milk-crate in the middle in the deepest part of the pond and put a lily pot and rocks on the top. This morning the Koi were all inside. They swim around and eat but really stay in a bunch. They hide when I approach the pond. I am afraid to feed them because I want them to stay scarred. They used to come to meet anyone who came near the pond.

I put out a havahart trap last night near where we found a little piece of gold tail. But, had no clue what bait to put in it. The local pond store says there are a lot mink in the area. What do mink eat besides goldfish?

My other question is what happens when they grow to big to squeeze into the holes of the milk-crate? My biggest is only about 10 inches. Some have tripled in size since I got them last summer. Each morning I spy from afar to make sure everyone is accounted for. >:(
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Foolish... What do mink like?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:31:53 PM »
A net over the pond may have to be in order... Also at night lay a medium size piece of styrofoam in the pond so the can hide...
Thanks,
Rich

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:39 PM »
Sorry I'm not sure what Mink eat---but, you probably could google it and find out....I can tell you alittle trick I tell my customers...cut the holes out bigger in the milk crates...a hacksaw cuts it quite easily...I think someone on this forum dealt with them before---hopefully they will see your post and be able to give you some more advice....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
Mink look sort of like a ferret. I haven't seen any photos of mink that I would call golden, tho.

Sewer tiles are a pretty red, and make good fish shelters. Cinder blocks get covered with algae and disappear, and make good fish shelters.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
I use a big heavy-duty wire clippers to snip larger holes in milk crates.

I would think anything could work as bait - tuna, chicken necks, etc.  Something smelly.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »
We had a discussion on concrete blocks recently, and most people said not to put them in the pond.  Bad chemicals.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
Bad chemicals?
I digress, but chemicals have no moral value. Some are destructive... but its not their fault, they are made that way.  lol

I have used cinder block in ponds with fish and plants and bugs and all the things that are attracted to bodies of water for over 22 years. And I've probably been doing it wrong - but nothing died. :)

I believe, from actual observation, that the alkaline property (lime is one of the ingredients of the block) are halted when the block is sealed over with algae.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
If your blocks are old and been outside for years they are fine. It is the new ones that leach chemicals out into your water. Minks do get your fish. i belong to a pond club and even in the city limits people have had minks. I think cat food maybe canned might work to bate the trap.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
Vickie is right, a seasoned cinder block would be no problem in a pond unless your water is acidic and then it might be beneficial.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »
And when you catch that mink... {:-P;;  Momma needs a pair of ear muffs for those cold winter nights.  ;D

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 09:53:03 PM »
Well I didn't have tuna or cat food so DH put a couple of shrimp for tonight. My neighbor that loaned me the trap said to put a feeder goldfish in it, but I couldn't do that.

I was afraid if we cut the holes bigger then the mink would get in.

Crossed fingers.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"