Author Topic: Tinkster Look! The Lotus!  (Read 1847 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tinkster Look! The Lotus!
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »
Many of you may recall the Tinkster was kind enough to send me a  (Rosea Plena?) Lotus to go along with the White she sent me the year before. The Post office must have drop kicked it several times as the lotus tubers were pretty beat up. I planted them anyway in hopes that she would recover. Based on these pictures I think the once broken tubers may just make it!!
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkster Look! The Lotus!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:43:07 PM »
 @O@ @O@....Your gonna LOVE Rosea Plena....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »
woohoo!!! I am so glad she made it.   Was a bad shipping year for me for some reason.. my post office most be having some horrid issuses.. every box I shipped was beaten pretty badily and one totally demolished full of lotus tuber :(... but anyway rosea plena  is  the only lotus I wanted to keep and I think mine is not gonna make it so hopefully you can send it back to me.

Lawanna... I told him he would.. you are definately right on her.  I cant believe mine is not gonna make it... Am not sure why she is struggling. I didmt even unpotted her to devide for el jefe, I just dug into one half side and got all the tubers out.  the other half was untouched and she is not even arial yet and the leaves are very  very very small.  Do you ever dig them up and repot when something appears to not be right with them???  :(

tinkster
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:52:41 PM by tinkster »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
Maybe its because of the weird weather we've had here in KY.  One days its nice and warm, then very cool at night.  Mine are just starting to get arials.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »
Tink I think Kim is right...it took ours a bit longer to get going too...now they have and I have several blooms on several different lotus...
Lawanna

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
I sure hope thats all it is.. but something tells me not.. the one monster lotus has been arial for a few weeks.  The other pond of unknowns are super arial and huge, figures it did nothing last year and I was gonna take it out and put in lillies and never got around to it and now they look great :)

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Rosea Plena is one of my favorites  @O@ . Flower's on it are huge on it ... :o
You're lotus are looking Great ! Most of my lotus's have pad's but no  arials yet.... :(

bonnie

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
Well considering she stated out like this... I am pretty happy that she is doing this well!
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:56 PM »
Maybe its because of the weird weather we've had here in KY.  One days its nice and warm, then very cool at night.  Mine are just starting to get arials.

Kim

Is Roseum plenum a tropical or a temperate lotus, this makes a big difference. Just like the tropical water lilies they need a good few weeks of warmth of the summer season to really get going in colder climates. If your soil and water temp is not in the mid 20%c or 70's they wont always start. The cool growing ones will start sooner and flower sooner in a cold climate.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
oh wow.. dont know cedric.   I didnt know lotus came in different cold/warm... it winters over here for me.  have to see if I can find out.  its sure looking pathetic compared to my other two but maybe it likesk it warmer than they do. 

tinkster

Offline Cedric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »
Oh yea that will make all the difference to getting a good flowering too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
The "Unknown" lotus you sent me is growing well for me  @O@  Gave me hope in growing lotus.  Can't wait to see something other than the beautiful pad/leaves.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »
Tink Rosea Plena is a tuff cookie....but, how much sun it is getting and when can make a difference in lotus preformance---morning and early afternoon sun and shaded in the late afternoon is best...RP is one of my best bloomers....I had a branch over hanging one of my lotus pots and had to cut it down because it was just enough shade to cause the lotus not to flourish...I cut it off last weekend and its already starting to get its arial leaves---while alot of my others already have arial leaves and first buds coming up....
Lawanna

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »
I got a Rosea Plena from Lawanna but mine doesn't look at all as good as yours Andy!

The below average temps here hasn't helped out but I believe summertime temps are here, high 80's and low 90's for this week....

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful pix, now with Rosea Plena added to them! :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »
Amazing!!  After being beaten up so badly it survived and now even ready to bloom.  I can't wait to see the actually flower once it is bloomed!!  :)  I have two from Frank and the package came in great condition.  I was just out on the deck and I think I saw one of them slowly sending up a tiny leave!

What is the green plant at the bottom right corner of your first pic?  Is it pickerel rush?

Please do share a pic or 2 when it is actually bloomed!

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"