Author Topic: Lab tearing up my pond! GRRRRRRR  (Read 3184 times)

Offline saycheessee

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
Lab tearing up my pond! GRRRRRRR
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:50:36 AM »
Help me figure out what to do. I have a neighbor's dog that wants to come swim in my pond. Tearing my plants up and out.  I am about ready to shoot it! I thought about putting a smaller electric fence around the edge of the pond but just really don't know what to do.  HELPPPP

**Pooppyy happens and Life Goes on**

Ponding is just a way of life!

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lab tearing up my pond! GRRRRRRR
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:56:32 AM »
Speak with the owner, alot of times if they find out the cost to have a water feature and or pond they will take steps to keep the dog away to avoid the cost.
Have a blessed day

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »
Talk to the owners once.
Call the dog catcher, if you live in the city.
Shoot it if you live in the country.

Offline saycheessee

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »
The bad part about it is that it is family.  That's why I was wondering what I could put around the pond that may deter it from getting in the water.. Like maybe a electric fence around the entire pond someway to keep the do abay.  maybe after it gets into the juice one time... it wouldn't come back. or sometype of small fence.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
My SIL has a really bad habit of letting her unspayed dog's puppies(that poor dog  :'(--that is another story) run loose untill I finally have to put my foot down and say---If they come down here and tear up one more thing---or if they make my big koi jump out due to harrassing them---Your getting the bill  >:(- .....Its amazing how quick she puts them up....Even with family if they aren't respecting you and your property---They HAVE to be put in their place.....I don' t tolerate ANY animal to mess with my ponds-or my goats....you can always practice the three S's if nessesary....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
I had a dobbie that terrorize my first pond.. was nothing I coudl do to keep him out.. he would nab at the fish and eat them.. etc... one summer I noticed when he walked in the yard he would stay wayyyy away from the pond.. never really occured to me what was going on.. then later in the summer I went to stick my hand in the pond to do something and got shocked, the pump was doing something odd.. but from that summer on till he died he would not even walk close to the pond let alone get in it.

tinkster

Offline saycheessee

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »
I had a dobbie that terrorize my first pond.. was nothing I coudl do to keep him out.. he would nab at the fish and eat them.. etc... one summer I noticed when he walked in the yard he would stay wayyyy away from the pond.. never really occured to me what was going on.. then later in the summer I went to stick my hand in the pond to do something and got shocked, the pump was doing something odd.. but from that summer on till he died he would not even walk close to the pond let alone get in it.

tinkster

That's what I would like to see happen to this lab... I wished I had something that if he stepped around the pond it would do her that way or if she touched it.. so that it would get a good bit at her. I scolded her today and they were outside so I hope they heard me and keep her up.. but my sister in law which lives next door is also watching for her so that we can maybe both keep her out of my pond.   Anyone have any suggestions on how I can hook up a little small electric fence to keep her away that wouldn't cost that much to rig up?

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
Saycheese, you could get a Fido Fence.  I think the basic one is around $100.00 or so, but you might find a cheaper one on eBay...or maybe some other places.  8)

Just remember to turn it off when you want to get near the pond.  :o

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »
     I had dog issues at the pond I did for my folks in their front yard, and then later last year for a client that had a chow chow  that was always around the pond and ripping up new landscaping I had done.  I installed a cheap and easy FIDO shock wire around the ponds.  All it took was a time or 2 to get zapppppppppped by the juice and her chow would not even go near the area even when the wire came down.    The case where the loose dogs around the neighborhood at the folks pond,... well.. .let's just say those 2 labs bit once with the juice never returned.

Seems to work for me..... try the shock wire ;)  it comes in a version where it PULSES every other second.  Gives YOU or the DOG 1 second to figure out what the hell is going on , and detach from the wire ;)
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
I don't think you should be the one buying and installing a fence, they should!

My son bought an underground dog fence on ebay with two collars and enough wire for a large yard for around $200.  Do a search on ebay, print out some info and give it to her.

She should be the responsible pet owner or someone will end up shooting the poor dog like Sunbeam suggested.

Karen

Offline Blondieskatz

• Members
  • With us since: 15/10/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
saycheese
Help me figure out what to do. I have a neighbor's dog that wants to come swim in my pond. Tearing my plants up and out.  I am about ready to shoot it! I thought about putting a smaller electric fence around the edge of the pond but just really don't know what to do.  HELPPPP

My DH put up a shock wire to keep out larger dogs (golden & lab) from digging under the fence. It only took one time and they stayed away. The wire has been off for years and the dogs still won't go near that wire.  lol

Do an internet search, he used pvc, wire and a battery. We already had the pvc and the wire so all it cost was the battery. BTW the wire was just a slight shock. I know I forgot about it when we first put it up and got plenty of shocks.  :o

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
I like Spanish's idea...we use the same version all over our farm for cattle. If they've never been zapped by an electric fence, it only takes one time...and they don't go near it again.  It pulses every few seconds also.  Fairly cheap to put up, but don't forget to turn it off when YOU are working around the pond---it's something YOU won't forget either!!  lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:23:57 PM »
I have no problem with an electric fence, however, what about one of those motion sensing water sprayers.  I think they are advertised for raccoons and deer.  I know that a water hose can break up a dog fight, it might deter this dog as well.  Besides, getting shot with water may not be as bad for you as the electricity.  Just a thought.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
Kamala, I thought of the motion sensing water sprayers, also.  However, considering how much labs like water, I wonder if it would work???  Come to think of it, if he did like the water spray, he might skip the pond.   {:-P;; 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:48 AM »
TSC has a solar powered cattle fence for $50

Offline saycheessee

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 07:02:32 AM »
TSC has a solar powered cattle fence for $50

Who is TSC??   Where do you buy them from?  The Fido Fence runs around 50 dollars also new so if I can find one solar that would be pretty good too.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
FiShock Fence works great on raccoons too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
TSC=Tractor Supply Company:  all kinds of farm related products, clothes, feed, seeds, etc.  :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
I give Kudos to TSC. Some really nice koi tanks their also... They have 8ft by 2ft blue tanks for 300 :o But they have great fences their also.
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
Other people's animals (and wild animals, too) is a big issue with me.  I just find it deplorably irresponsable for people to allow their pets to run loose.  Dangerous for the animal, and can cause so much damage to the neighbors.

I have no problem at all catching an intruding dog or cat, and then calling the pound to come get it.  Those places keep the animals for a week or so, so your neighbor will have a chance to get her pet back.  But that will be a lesson learned, and hopefully she will keep the dog in her yard, or on a chain, from then on. 

Oh, do be sure to talk to her first - I think you said you've already done that.  Since you've covered your P's and Q's, I say, go ahead the next time the dog comes over, grab its collar, put it in the garage, and call Animal Control.

Offline kamala

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
I second that one, Julles.

Offline saycheessee

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Kentucky Reef Society
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »
Ok.. I'm on the look for a fido fence.  That sounds like my best bet.  We have more than one bad dog in the neighborhood.. the others just aren't swimming in my pond. They want to tromp it down beside it drinking out of it. So I figure I"ll cure 2 birds with 1 stone and get the fence.  If anyone has a solar fence they want to sell... let me know. I want one.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
Here's the deal:  You say the dog is owned by family.  Grow some stones and demand that the lab is kept in his own yard.   If they refuse, shoot them!  Get my drift?????????  Jeeez!!!!!

Dogs and cats HAVE to be restrained.  To see my restrained beagles see http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxZ3CWYLEw0

Labs are water lovers.  It is not the lab's fault, it is the owners!!   Do the deed!  (At least threaten it).

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
Johns, they are seven????? But, they were just puppies! Holy cow. Time flies.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline carver

• Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Curt and Nancy
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
Last year the heron got to be a real problem for us. I hate putting a net over the pond. I have no young kids around to worry about. Went to the tractor store bought a livestock fencer, some fiberglass fence posts ( which I cut down ). Placed the wire around the pond, and hooked her up.......
We taught that ol Heron how to do the 2 step... We laughed so hard as it would sneak up to the edge of the pond. Then jump straight up with wings out, and run off in the yard when it touched the wire. It kept trying to find a way in to get the fish, but kept getting shocked, and after a few days of trying it must of given up.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
DH modified the FiShock fence with bamboo and copper instead of wire and plastic looks more attractive.

My brother's Aussie hit it recently and barely noticed just stayed away but my friend's Scotty was totally freaked out. I bet they could hear her yelp in the next county. Of course, my friend coddling her had a lot to do with her not getting over it. It is a tiny jolt.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"