Author Topic: The most precious mini hardy waterlily...any many other pics  (Read 2487 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Now that my exam is over, I am getting my life back. @O@ Finally downloaded some pics from my camera and decided to share!

This is Walter Pagels and is a very tiny hardy. Thanks, Coolshades, it's delightful!!!

Anyone recognize these pads? The tropical ones in the middle. They were a dark red when about the size of a half dollar and have become more diverse. I thought Star of Siam at first, but am not sure.

Next, I thought I'd show you all of my containers. Still haven't built a pond at the new house. I am starting to collect containers like an old maid collects cats.  lol It may be tough to see, but I have 5 bowl pots with mini lotuses in them. The one on the deck (right side) is doing really well, this is its second year. The others up agains the house are new this spring, and all have aerial pads. Nice!

This is my chair, and next to it is a new container I bought for an awesome nightbloomer from Kat. It's the first one I've had that bloomed (cause I bought it with a bud, hahaha). It's perfect for me since I am at work all day most of the week. The taro came from the produce section at an Asian Market by Kat's house from last summer. They overwintered right in there spots.

When I went to Lowe's to buy the black container for the new nightbloomer, I found this cool ceramic pot and of course put a mini lily in it as well.

This is Dh's chair and it has a pot of marginals. Each of the black containers has fish that Kat was kind enough to share last summer and also this year. On my last trip to her house, she gave my kiddos a half dozen or so tadpoles. Some of them already had legs sprouting. They love them! The other containers have her baby koi, mosquito fish, and now a shubunkin. Very cool!

So that's it for now. I have more buds approaching the surface and may have some updated photos this weekend. Thanks for looking!!

P.S. I left all plants in the containers as you see them over the winter. At one point, we had about 1" of ice on the surface of each. I thought for sure all of my tropicals were gonners. Guess what? Most lived! And the one that surprised me the most was Foxfire. Woohoo!  @O@ @O@
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:12:17 PM by jclements »
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The most precious mini hardy waterlily...any many other pics
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
Jessica I LOVE all of your containers....especially that big blue one--really kewl....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »
The mini is gorgeous!
I'm really jealous of the red Adirondacks, tho. :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Looks wonderful!  I guess Kat is contagious!  You look like you have started a miniature of your setup.  ;D

The mini is beautiful as are the rest of the plants.  Very nice!

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:29:19 AM »
Here is something interesting. When we built our first pond back in Kansas in about 2001, I received postage plants from Kathie in SW Idaho, Jean in Hawaii, and then purchsed a box of stuff from Kat! Since then, I have had many more additional great trades and purchase experiences with many forum members.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:06:01 AM »
Very nicely set up!  When I get back maybe we could get the kids together & they can have fun splashing in Genny's pool.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 05:22:05 AM »
Love your Walter Pagels.... and now I want one!  LOL   :D  Your tubs look great, and they blue bowl was a neat find!

I am starting to collect containers like an old maid collects cats. 

Too funny!  I feel the same way... I think my neighbors are starting to think that whatever I am growing must be smokeable because I keep adding more and more containers of water plants LOL
Joey

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »
I love everything...but the pic of the red chair and that pot of red and white blooms is stunning.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »
Jessica everything looks so nice. I am so glad you still have water lilies and plants. And you have it set up so nice. I am so happy for you. Oh I want Walter Pagels. Now I have to go on the hunt for it. LOL Never satisfied here, I want it all. HEHEHE

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:07 AM »
I just love all yours containers and pots!!  And the mini lilly is just adorable.   Glad your finally done with testing and able to enjoy summer!

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 07:27:06 AM »
I had no idea water lilies came that small.  Wow! It's beautiful, but also the perfect plant for small ponds and for containers.

Those chairs - in Southern Living magazine this month, they have a garden that has a loooong view down a side yard, and the focal point at the end is a pair of those RED chairs.  Very stunning.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
Thanks everyone! Gary (Coolshades) sent me two of each of the minis, so I could definitely pay it forward next year. I have a couple more minis yet to bloom that I can also look forward to.

The red adirondacks came from the clearance aisle at Target last summer! I think I snagged them for about $15-20 each. Steal! They were originally $70 each, which is still much less than you typically see them. Joann fabrics has some little kit chairs that you paint, I'm thinking about getting two little ones for my kiddos and then painting to match, they're on sale for half price right now, so like $18 each.

Kat, we're hoping to check out some of the city pools starting this weekend. Last year we bought passes to Hawaiian Falls over in Garland. I also just got the boys into city pool swim lessons for the entire month of July. Where is your favorite place to go? We'll definitely have to figure something out!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »
Your lilies are looking good in their pots. I love you cermamic pot and of course the red chair is just wonderful. Nice photos, Jessica. Now that your exam is out of the way I hope you have a nice summer to enjoy your lilies.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:59 AM »
Everything looks really great Jessica. O0 The larger black containers....are those a preform unit? They look like a preform unit that I have.
Love the big blue bowl. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »
Wonderful!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Lisa816

• Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 04:55:34 AM »
The mini water lily is adorable. What a pretty little flower.  What is growing in the shallow terra cotta colored bowls?  Lotus?  I like the row of taro plants in the bed between the house and sidewalk.  I love your blue ceramic bowl too.
Lisa 
Zone 8b

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 02:26:06 PM »
Everything looks very pretty, Jessica!!!   @O@
You just have a way of making things pretty any where you are.  The little Walter Pagels is adorable!    o(:-)

Oh, yeah, LOVE the blue bowl, too!   O0

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
The blue bowl is beautiful I just love it.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
Are the undersides of the pads speckled in red? I think thats an ostara
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
Hey Jessica:

Glad to see WP doing well for you, once it gets going it flowers non-stop until late Spetember here.  I like that Clam-shell container, way cool!!! 

Gary

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »
Thanks again for all of the comments!

Enzo, I think you're right! I'll wait for a bloom to be sure!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
It's all really nice and I just love that miniature lily.  Oh, the red chairs ROCK!  I love those.   o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"